PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Foul day weather wise and absolutely baltic. The storm started around an hour ago and it's almost dark! No snow though so far thankfully.:) Didn't deter my Dad fro popping round earlier as he wanted a Tesco order sorted out and to get some fresh air before the weather closed in.
    I lit the stove around 11 and it's now lovely and cosy - just a day to stay close to it I think:).

I must finish the cards today so I can pop them in the post box tomorrow or Monday and they are off my "to do" list:). Apart from that and some routine chores I've not much else planned.
    I've beans left from yesterday which I use up for lunch with an egg and some toast. Stew and dumplings tonight I think with savoy cabbage. I'm trying only to add "Christmas stuff" to the freezer and hopefully come the New Year that should mean there's some space in it ready for all the random LOs there always seems to be after the kids have been home.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With more milk to get through, I thought I'd knock up a quick quiche... again. Plan was to cook it .... cool it .... eat it later.

Trouble was, it was so lovely smelling ... that I ate half of it, with chips, just now. Other half's in the fridge :)

Still more milk to go ... time to snip open the chocolate dessert packet and have a quick dessert ready to go later :)

Date on it was 14th, probably got about 1/3rd of a pint left.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    My 4 pinter is half gone. BBE date is/was 12th Dec, it still smells fine so i'll keep using it til it doesn't.
    Had the bright idea to fill an old HWB with water and put it on the floor to put my feet on. It was toasty warm, but i've just spotted it leaked a bit. At least i'm in the kitchen with a tiled floor.

still not done the dishes. Need to do that before i attempt to finally eat that chicken as a roast dinner. There's very little meat left on it other than one breast which i'll eat all of so i might put it back into the oven wrapped in foil to reheat as i cook some roasties. so far i cba arsed to move from under my now two HWB's and the laptop
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Back from soaking wet & cold Chichester, it tipped down, I felt sorry for the Christmas market traders, plenty of people about but just too soggy to stop
    I did stop briefly, bought a box of 12 fancy German chocs, look large, calorific & tasty:o Ideal XCFO

Mid morning, HoF cafe, hot chocolate with squirt of cream on top + cheese scone & butter:D

Lunch was pot of tea & huge slice of cake in the Cathedral cafe:D

Back home, not cooking, one mini YS pizza out & defrosting, that'll do for dinner,
    I've scoffed enough calories today, good job I had a banana with breakfast, the token towards my 5 a day:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all:D
    Still feeling snotty n cold, so it's pizza n salad for tea tonight , in front of the Strictly final :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    'Orrible weather out today - and I had to go out in it.

So at least made sure I stopped off shopping for Christmas food stuff for next group social occasion and made sure I stocked up on milk whilst I was there.

So, if I take one look out at the weather tomorrow and still can't face a "main supermarket trip" I'm well stocked-up with food and could hold out for a few days if need be.

On that note - I "cheated" with a readymade quorn curry yesterday - so I've got a second helping of the previous day's stirfry and noodles to eat up today. The cold weather has made me feel particularly hungry - so, though I know it doesn't go with it, I've just made some Slimming World style chips to fill my cold stomach up with it. On that note - they've finished cooking - must go...
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Money, personally I think there are very few savoury foods meals that chips don't go with.;):)

I finally finished writing the cards that needed posting:j:j, I must have been in the mood to do them as I rattled through the remainder:).
    I utilised some long forgotten skills (once a Girl Guide always a Girl Guide :rotfl:) to use twine to make a new hand grip for a bucket.:money: It has a thin metal handle which had a plastic hand grip/protector which broke beyond use. The bucket itself is fine, an ideal size for moving logs, potting compost etc. but without the plastic the handle just kills your hands. I remember learning how to do it as part of my "camping" badge, one of those things you think you'll never need to know in "real life" until you do :cool:, like lighting a fire in the rain and making a tripod stand from branches. Thankfully I've never needed to dig a latrine since:rotfl::rotfl:
    The weather remains absolutely foul, I think we've had everything bar snow and sunshine. It never really got light today and was properly dark by 3pm. We are now in the "amber area" for ice caused by freezing rain. The gritters are out but I'd imagine some of the smaller roads/pavements will be icy. I've warned my Dad to be careful before he does his usual early Sunday morning jaunt to have breakfast at Morrisons, I don't want him skidding on his scooter:eek:.
    Just some savoy cabbage to cook and the stew and dumplings to heat up for dinner. A nice easy one with minimal prep & clearing up.:)
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Washed the dishes, had a roast dinner. Chicken heated up lovely in the oven. & I was quite impressed with the roasties I made. I used a small ceramic dish for them. Worked much better than the large metal roaster I've used before.

Just thinking what to have tomorrow for tea. I'm not doing any shopping til next week (XCFO party food shop) as I've enough in the cupboards & freezer.
    Might make another pasta bake as I've everything in, stuff I need to use up & I've now got 3 plastic tubs I kept from the Chinese doggy bag to use to freeze 3 decent size portions.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    By the look at the weather it should be drier in Chichester on Monday Farway, although no Christmas market. Any recommendation on the cake :D

Not too cold here just very wet all day :( I stayed in and thought about writing Christmas cards :cool: my sister popped round for a catch up and to drop off some parcels I had delivered to hers as they will leave them in her porch and she uses my nephew's am*zon prime :D she left with some YS fruit and veg I brought I realised after she left that I buy it and give her half and she forgets to pay me :cool: just as well I love her :rotfl:

Didn't eat much lunch today, just some cheese, crackers and an apple. Dinner was more substantial :D roast chicken, root veg mash, runner beans and broccoli unfortunately the roast potatoes only got as far as the par boil stage as I forgot to put them in the oven :o not a problem as the mash contained swede, parsnip, turnip, celeriac and carrot so I won't go hungry.

I'm now sitting with a glass of port and some chocolate watching the strictly final, I had better go easy on the chocolate or I will be putting weight back on and I reached my 2 stone off this morning :j:j unfortunately the slim fit size 12 jeans will still have to stay under the bed for a bit longer :( I'm either going to have to invest in some cheap jeans or be really good (not a chance over Christmas) as I seem to have only two pairs of trousers both jeans which fit the rest are either too big or too small must have been this size when I could still wear my summer trousers :think:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    edited 15 December 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    CFO "chicken dinners" abound :)
    Congratulations on the weightloss Brambling:D - sounds as a quick trip to "Primani" might be needed:cool:PS M&S used to do a port flavoured with chocolate which was really rather nice:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback