LED sidelights

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <shrug> The OP thinks a bit of bling is a substitute for basic maintenance. Unsurprised.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    Watch it - their next trick is when you're posting, they've already gone through all your previous threads & they'll pull a quote off you from about 5 years ago from some other section of the forum, trying to link it to what you're talking about today.

Been there, suffered that. :rotfl:

It's quite sad really the lengths some members of this message board go to in order to score points and get a few 'thanks' clicks. :rotfl:

Yeah exactly how creepy is that? Had that myself too, a very disturbing individual that decided to stalk me (in an odd way). It's a bit unnerving when they follow you around.....still strange people everywhere I suppose.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    <shrug> The OP thinks a bit of bling is a substitute for basic maintenance. Unsurprised.

They were bought with Nectar points so didn't actually cost me anything. *kiss*
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given that you shouldn't be driving around using your sidelights, is it even remotely relevant?
    If you need lighting to be seen, turn your flippin' headlights on.

There is some logic to it.
    When a car is coming towards you with headlights on, the brighter light makes your pupil become smaller so not to blind you. This automatically makes things darker and harder to see, more so around the vehicle.

Sidelights on in a 30mph limit with street lights means that people will still see the vehicle easily but they will also be able to see things like pedestrians and cyclists easier around any vehicle with headlights due to the reduced glare.

Back in the 80's and 90's i remember car headlights weren't as bright as they used to be and bicycle lights were quite dim as well. But most people seen the cyclists still.
    But now because motorists are using headlights that output more candela, cyclists are less visible and for them to be seen they then have to use brighter lights that are often blinding.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Back in the 80's and 90's i remember car headlights weren't as bright as they used to be and bicycle lights were quite dim as well. But most people seen the cyclists still.
    But now because motorists are using headlights that output more candela, cyclists are less visible and for them to be seen they then have to use brighter lights that are often blinding.

Great post, totally agree. But we are unfortunately back to the topic of Brexit :rotfl:

Dim-dip headlights they were called, but they were phased out because the standard was not adopted by the EU. On things such as car regulations we are too small a country to have our own standards, what ever happens with Brexit, we will still follow EU rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    SUUPPERR BRIGHT!

numberplate_IMG_20181207_054348.jpg
    Do you use your fog lights when there is no fog, “for the looks”?

I just can’t see how increasing the brightness of a rear number plate on a ten year-old diesel 205 is going to make it look like anything other than what it is, an ageing runabout.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Dim-dip headlights they were called, but they were phased out because the standard was not adopted by the EU. On things such as car regulations we are too small a country to have our own standards, what ever happens with Brexit, we will still follow EU rules.
    UNECE, actually. UN as in "United Nations". And not even the most ardent Faragist is sensibly suggesting the UK leaves that.

And there's nothing stopping any country putting their own requirements on top of UNECE - which is all dim-dip was.

It was dropped because it was fairly pointless, and because it was a great way of killing headlight bulbs - halogen bulbs really don't like being run on reduced voltage.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid if you don't want people to do that then you shouldn't come to this forum because sadly that's how certain members on this board operate.

Creepy / cringeworthy really.
    So, so sad.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options

And there's nothing stopping any country putting their own requirements on top of UNECE - which is all dim-dip was.

It was dropped because it was fairly pointless, and because it was a great way of killing headlight bulbs - halogen bulbs really don't like being run on reduced voltage.

[SIZE=+1]The European Commission prosecuted the UK in the European Court of Justice in 1988; which resulted in the dim-dip headlight system to be dropped.
    [/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 December 2018 at 7:53AM
    Options
    Do you use your fog lights when there is no fog, “for the looks”?

I just can’t see how increasing the brightness of a rear number plate on a ten year-old diesel 205 is going to make it look like anything other than what it is, an ageing runabout.

So it would be fine to put them on say a 1 year old Audi?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure