PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    take a mobile phone recording device in your pocket. My relative found it invaluable
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wondercollie, my fingers are crossed your colleague gets promoted out of there. In my experience that can happen, which though unfair, at least is a relief!

Silveroldie, sending hugs for tomorrow xx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with Floss. And next time, tell them that you need to check your diary and see what you can rearrange to fit the meeting in, so could they possibly let you know what it's about so you can prioritise and prepare accordingly. That kind of call 'we need to talk but I won't tell you what it is about' is very unpleasant and unprofessional. It's a bit like a sadistic headmaster at a school my brother went to - they still used corporal punishment, and instead of informing them of the punishment and inflicting it there and then, it would be 'you're going to have a beating, come back on Friday'.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Silver oldie I hope the meeting goes ok.
    I'm at DD's today so unlimited power and WiFi is available but as I'm looking after her 3 year old I won't get chance to avail myself of all these luxuries.
    Still my washing is in her machine, as soon as it's finished dgd and are off to toddler group and then I'll take her to lunch at a nearby cafe.
    At 3 I'll collect the other dgd's from school, bring them home and give them tea.
    I should be free by 6 when I can then crawl to my cat and collect CHS, car, not cat, I drive a Nissan not a four legged fluffy creature.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just had a mental image of you astride a tiger Hester, cracking your whip!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all,

Monna, yes there has been a lot of change some of which I don't mention online. It has been over a decade now of major upheaval. Hopefully this will rule out any physical issues, although to be honest I find the investigating itself very stressful.

Silver-Oldie I don't have any advice, but I'd be worried as well. I hate it when people won't just come out with things. It is as likely to be something they need to deal with on their end and are uncomfortable informing everyone about as anything else. I find sheepishness often results in a failure to consider the panic of others. Big hugs.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the image of Hester astride a tiger. We've had elephants, so why not the rest of the circus?:rotfl:

The estate agent are sending someone round to inspect the house, so all has been tidied away. OH has popped off to see his mum and dad and I'm working from home on marking. It isn't raining, but it is very windy here and the sky looks as if it will grace us with a nice steady drizzle given a moment or two to warm up.

Hugs to all who need them.x
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    Sending hugs to all in need, life is bl**dy annoying isn't it?

Its chilly here today and my Arthur-itis is very bad, who gets it in their pelvis for goodness sake. I got a little over enthusiastic at weekend and did a but too much. I recovered the dining chairs which involved taking them apart then did a lot of cleaning and sewing so am paying for it now.

Hubby has been in bed a lot of late so was getting stir crazy. It was our 39th anniversary last Saturday but did manage to go out for an hour - charity shop wandering mostly but spent nothing which I guess is good :D

Dgs doesn't stay often on a Saturday as his ratbag daddy has him and Dgd so its just Wednesdays now. I do miss him at weekends but don't miss a wriggling singing 7 year old crawling in my bed at 4 am :eek: However sometimes he requests we have his sister too which is fun as she is a monkey who never stops talking and being as cute as he is.

Hope everyone has a good day today and a respite from annoying things/people :D
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you
    One thought is finance.
    Mother was in hospital for 7 weeks before having to go into the care home.
    The local authority only paid £495 pw, her room was £520, but they agreed to pay the extra. Probably as the hospital said they didn't think she had more than a few weeks left. (Three years ago)
    I over heard a conversation a while ago, it now costs £850 pw
    If they want to increase their charges Mother has very little money.
    DH and I could use our savings but then what happens if DH needs care, I already have to pay for help around the house, things we used to do ourselves.
    Maybe overthinking this.
    Sorry for the essay.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Ginny, it is lovely to 'see' you. I'm sorry that old Arthur-itis is bothering you again.

Silver you can only do what you can do. It is possibly to wear oneself out worrying about things that haven't happened yet (ask me how I know!). Can you find some distractions for yourself?

Our inspector has come and gone. He is really a very pleasant person, but I still feel a bit exposed having someone come into my home and poke and prod all of the corners. He has trotted off with promises to speak to the EA about longstanding issues, but I'm not holding out hope. He seemed to think that our impending decision about tenancy renewal might provide us with some leverage but I don't really want the hassle.

Hugs.x
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you

If they want to increase their charges Mother has very little money.
    DH and I could use our savings but then what happens if DH needs care, I already have to pay for help around the house, things we used to do ourselves.
    Maybe overthinking this.
    Sorry for the essay.

SO - my first thought is your duty is to your OH first so if it is about money (probably) then do some research on what your mother is entitled to and what she could possible claim. I'm sure there are other posters who have experience of this situation and can give excellent advice - hugs
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback