Housing association refused my application to run a business from home??

2»

Comments

• blackwidow22
    blackwidow22 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 November 2012 at 4:47PM
    Thank you for all your reply's and advice, i have already taken on board all the factors, registering,health and safety,health inspectors etc and spoken to the relevant professionals and they all seem to say its a shame your housing dept wont agree as i certainly would not take on staff,it would just be me but hey like one reply said, there are spiteful, jealous neighbours etc so thats my dream over.

I really can't afford to have a shop so back to the drawing board for me but once again thank you for all your advice.
    Trying to better yourself just doesn't seem to work:(
  • A friend had a similar issue, though with a private landlord rather than HA.

She found a local pub that used to serve food and had scaled back to just special events and Sundays and basically hired their kitchen from them during the week. I am not close to how much she actually paid them but she always claimed it was little more than providing them a few gateaux/ cakes to sell as puddings on Sunday.

Don't immediately roll over on your dream just because the first idea had a few issues
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    OP you may want to remind your landlord that thier professional organisation, the Chartered Institute of Houisng has issued guidance that generally supports people working from home.

You can see the guidance, and perhaps send them a copy, at

http://www.cih.org/publication-free/display/vpathDCR//templatedata/cih/publication-free/data/Running_a_business_from_home
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2012 at 10:31AM
    squinty wrote: »
    OP you may want to remind your landlord that thier professional organisation, the Chartered Institute of Houisng has issued guidance that generally supports people working from home.

You can see the guidance, and perhaps send them a copy, at

http://www.cih.org/publication-free/display/vpathDCR//templatedata/cih/publication-free/data/Running_a_business_from_home

There's a big difference between 'working from home' and 'running a business from the property' ;)

e.g. "there would rarely be a good reason to prevent a tenant from using their home as an office for an Internet or phone based business"

but the tenancy agreement "states no business's to be run from the property."
    While it is important to support and encourage tenants to run a business from home, there may be occasions when either permission if required is not sought or granted, or when the business activity breaches tenancy conditions. You must have a clear and documented procedure for dealing with these circumstances.

It is important to take appropriate action as soon as you know about a tenant running an unsuitable or unauthorised business from home.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2012 at 10:35AM
    Working online and not doing anything that you would not do anyway as a resident is one thing - I do this myself - but actually storing stock, accepting deliveries etc. is something else.

There are no health & safety issues or inconvenience to neighbours if the freelance home work just consists of online research and producing documents, but there certainly may be if large scale cooking is involved.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport