Burnt clutch - hire vehicle

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Id go one further and threaten to counter claim to have any extra costs you incurred reimbursed as a result of having to return the faulty vehicle they supplied.

I'd expect both sides of the friction plate to be worn as a result of slipping.

Personally I'd cancel the card so they can't use it and dispute the windscreen claim. In fact I'd do that in person and have it out with the guy who originally mentioned about the windscreen and see if he has the nerve to deny it to your face.

That excess is very high though. I've never seen an excess higher than £1k, even with van hire companies. Personally never seen a higher company wanting 2.5k excess
  • palasmy
    palasmy Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Id go one further and threaten to counter claim to have any extra costs you incurred reimbursed as a result of having to return the faulty vehicle they supplied.
    I'd expect both sides of the friction plate to be worn as a result of slipping.

Personally I'd cancel the card so they can't use it and dispute the windscreen claim. In fact I'd do that in person and have it out with the guy who originally mentioned about the windscreen and see if he has the nerve to deny it to your face.

That excess is very high though. I've never seen an excess higher than £1k, even with van hire companies. Personally never seen a higher company wanting 2.5k excess

Just seems like it was a well pre-meditated plan. As suggested previously, I think I will get an independent engineer's thought as a first step. I will ask them for the vehicle's location details and take it from there.

I'm also going to instruct my bank to deny any payments from them on my card. Don't want to cancel my card for the sake of them...
  • palasmy
    Zandoni wrote: »
    What proof is there that any supplied pictures are from the vehicle you hired. I'd let them take it to court.

I agree with you, although they did send me another picture of the vehicle in a dismantled state, again no gurantee that the actual parts themselves are from it...
  • palasmy
    Just as an update, the icarhire has said that they don't cover internal / mechanical damages in their policies and only cover the external damages that occur due to accidents.

So, I think I really have very little choice other than to just get an independent opinion first and then fight it out. Would it be best to first argue the case for further evidences from the rental company to prove it was my fault before offering an independent engineer visit Or should I just seek the neutral opinion first, bit confused here...

Anyway I have drafted an email like below for the rental company, would really appreciate your comments and views on the words.

Thanks

"
    I would like to dispute both the claims (Windscreen and Clutch). For the windscreen I have already been charged without my consent and also have been given no report on the promised investigation on the issue until now. So, please can I request that this be looked into soonest.

For the clutch, as suggested by you in your mail, I would like to get an independent engineer to come around and inspect the clutch in its current state. So, please can you provide me with the relevant details of the location of the vehicle and also the contact person to organise this visit.

Just be aware that should the inspection conclude that the damage isn't due to me purely then I would be pressing the following charges against Green Motion.

1. Cost of the time and effort spent by me to come and get the vehicle exchanged during my hire time.

2. Engineer's fees plus the money spent to schedule the visit for the inspection

3. Appropriate charges for the mental stress caused due to this issue for no fault of mine."
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    palasmy wrote: »
    Just as an update, the icarhire has said that they don't cover internal / mechanical damages in their policies and only cover the external damages that occur due to accidents.

So, I think I really have very little choice other than to just get an independent opinion first and then fight it out. Would it be best to first argue the case for further evidences from the rental company to prove it was my fault before offering an independent engineer visit Or should I just seek the neutral opinion first, bit confused here...

Anyway I have drafted an email like below for the rental company, would really appreciate your comments and views on the words.

Thanks

"
    I would like to dispute both the claims (Windscreen and Clutch). For the windscreen I have already been charged without my consent and also have been given no report on the promised investigation on the issue until now. So, please can I request that this be looked into soonest.

For the clutch, as suggested by you in your mail, I would like to get an independent engineer to come around and inspect the clutch in its current state. So, please can you provide me with the relevant details of the location of the vehicle and also the contact person to organise this visit.

Just be aware that should the inspection conclude that the damage isn't due to me purely then I would be pressing the following charges against Green Motion.

1. Cost of the time and effort spent by me to come and get the vehicle exchanged during my hire time.

2. Engineer's fees plus the money spent to schedule the visit for the inspection

3. Appropriate charges for the mental stress caused due to this issue for no fault of mine."

I don't think you will 'pressing charges' its a civil not criminal situation. You will be starting proceeding to recover costs..

1. Time and effort would be difficult to quantify, generally you can go to court to recover actual loss, such as probably lost income due to missing work, extra fuel you had to buy, train travel home.

3. Again its not possible to put a value on stress, I would drop that one, unless you can get a receipt from a psychologist for counselling and prove it was a direct consequence of the issues.

Stick to costs you can prove with documentation you directly incurred and you would have a reasonable chance.

(engineers bill, train ticket, payslip showing docked pay, fuel receipt, receipt for alternative hired car etc..)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • palasmy
    Thanks sillygoose, to keep things simple I think you are right to just only claim for only what is proveable with documents.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    And get that windscreen charge reversed by your bank/card provider. Or at least put it in dispute.
  • palasmy
    Hello All, spoke to Green motion yesterday, the customer service agent wasn't very polite. He was so rude and rigid that he didn't care what I was trying to say even, simply told me off by saying 'I don't need to be told how to do my job'.. which was a shocker to me. All I said was since they had already repaired the car and put it on the road, they have simply deprived me of the chance to do the inspection of the vehicle and the damage by an independent engineer.

He claims the garage they have used is a valid independent one and that the garage can be contacted for any further queries. But then if the vehicle has already been fixed, how do we know the actual condition of the damage, it is basically too late for anything isn't it. Just by sending few pictures we can't be held liable for it. As many already pointed out here, it can be from any vehicle..

The customer service are so adamant and looks like they have been trained to talk in such a way and scare their customers. He was warning me that there is only 28 days time frame for me to pay otherwise they will take legal action.

I have blocked my card. But then I don't know how to take things forward from here. I'm not keen to engage anyone to talk to the garage as I know this is just a waste of time as that garage is in the same location as their office and pretty sure they dance according to green motion's tune.

And similarly they haven't invoiced me for the windscreen damage yet although they have charged me already for it. When asked about the pending investigation, he repeated the same comment that this has been charged correctly and the invoice will take few weeks to come to you if you need it for your claims purposes. Just arrogant!!!

I really want to teach them a hard lesson and don't mind taking this to any extent legally... please help
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone else think looking at that pressure plate and centre plate it looks as if they have been washed. If they where burnt they would be covered in dust if they were contaminated with oil they would have a coating of oil.

Look at the recesses for the rivets they are full of dust or oil yet the centre of the plate is clean. The few marks on the plates look like the solvent used to clean them has dried on the surface.

On the friction surface we can see, it looks as if there is an amount of life left in it. If the other side is similar I would think to have a slipping clutch it would be down to oil or a faulty pressure plate.

It would be interesting to know how many miles the car has covered.

If a clutch was destroyed in 30 odd miles I would expect it to look a lot worse then that.
  • palasmy
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    Does anyone else think looking at that pressure plate and centre plate it looks as if they have been washed. If they where burnt they would be covered in dust if they were contaminated with oil they would have a coating of oil.

Look at the recesses for the rivets they are full of dust or oil yet the centre of the plate is clean. The few marks on the plates look like the solvent used to clean them has dried on the surface.

On the friction surface we can see, it looks as if there is an amount of life left in it. If the other side is similar I would think to have a slipping clutch it would be down to oil or a faulty pressure plate.

It would be interesting to know how many miles the car has covered.

If a clutch was destroyed in 30 odd miles I would expect it to look a lot worse then that.

I don't have the old rental agreement unfortunately to give u the exact miles, they took it back when they replaced it. But I think it had done around 10k miles for sure. And to be exact the I had done ~60 miles when I first felt the issue and then there after another 40 miles maybe...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure