Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Novice going soft!
    Op got home 24 hours late so definitely a compensation claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Hi Novice Angel

Its not like we are making up a 'dodgy tummy' tale to get abit of compo.

It's not an additional compensation claim, a compensation claim to cover the fact that EJ did not deliver what they were supposed to, a failure that had repercussions for 5 people and thus EJ have a legal duty to compensate people for this.

Their actions resulted in us spending the best part of 12 hours in an airport over 2 days, arriving back in the UK 36 hours later than scheduled, at an airport 180 miles away from where we'd arranged.

3 of us had to miss work on Friday, inconveniencing not only ourselves but our employers and those who had to cover for us. A fourth had to re-arrange a trip they had had planned for months.

Plans for yesterday were affected as not arriving at our car in Liverpool until gone 2am in the early hours of Saturday morning we then had a 2 hours journey home with some then due at work 8.30am.

Yes EJ got us home. as they have a duty to, and for which I give them some credit.

But it was not without hassle, not without inconvenience, not without a major delay, not without alot of uncertainty at various stages, not to where we had booked to return to, not without alot of stress and not without quite a few tears too.

All in all not a nice experience to go through and not one I would wish on anyone, even the mother in law.:)
  • PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    I’m with Paranoid Android and JPears here :). 180 miles in a taxi is a huge inconvenience - 3 to 4 hours say, depending on roads and traffic. It’s the distance between London and Yorkshire. EU261 exists to compensate for this kind of inconvenience.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    I know I’m on my own here - just give me a few more days to get back to my normal self!

I do think Paranoid Android does have a legitimate claim. From someone that has brought 4 claims against J2. 3 of which were successful. So no complaints from me, just playing devils advocate.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Can anyone help with this? A European flight has to “arrive” 3 hours or more late before compensation is payable. But is “arrival” wheels down, on stand, or through passport control? It is critical in respect of my delayed flight from Liverpool to Malaga last night...
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When the door is opened. Post your flight details and I will check for you. What was the reason given for the delay from Liverpool?
  • avfc78
    avfc78 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 3:23PM
    1.) I was booked on a flight from Bordeaux to Gatwick that was cancelled - supposedly due to wethaer and I was booked on a flight the next day. The flight was cancelled after initially being delayed by several hours (and I was advised ten hours earlier at the start of the day that it would be running late)
    2.) The next day, at check in, I was put on standby due to that new flight being over booked, at the gate I was denied boarding. The next direct flight available was three days later, so I was provided with an indirect flight the next day via Barcelona.
    3.) The next day, my barcelona to gatwick flight was delayed and I eventually arrived 4 hours late into Gatwick. (weather conditions apparently, but theis was stacked from earlier flights london to isle of man)

I arrived at Gatwick over 50 hours later than I should have.

As well as hotel, travel, refreshment expenses, Am i entittle to compensation one, two or three times @ 250 EUR for the above? Can you claim it more than once on same booking for separate affected flights? Any advice or information would be appreciated massively. Thanks.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's three separate claims for compensation. Whether you're entitled depends on why the flights were cancelled/delayed. Denied boarding due to overbooking is a slam-dunk for compensation, cancellation/delay due to weather sometimes isn't but will depend on the circumstances.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2018 at 4:13PM
    avfc78 wrote: »
    1.) I was booked on a flight from Bordeaux to Gatwick that was cancelled - supposedly due to wethaer and I was booked on a flight the next day. The flight was cancelled after initially being delayed by several hours (and I was advised ten hours earlier at the start of the day that it would be running late)
    2.) The next day, at check in, I was put on standby due to that new flight being over booked, at the gate I was denied boarding. The next direct flight available was three days later, so I was provided with an indirect flight the next day via Barcelona.
    3.) The next day, my barcelona to gatwick flight was delayed and I eventually arrived 4 hours late into Gatwick. (weather conditions apparently, but theis was stacked from earlier flights london to isle of man)

I arrived at Gatwick over 50 hours later than I should have.

As well as hotel, travel, refreshment expenses, Am i entittle to compensation one, two or three times @ 250 EUR for the above? Can you claim it more than once on same booking for separate affected flights? Any advice or information would be appreciated massively. Thanks.

Hi AVFC78,

You were unlucky, must remember not to fly with you!

The law on this is not crystal clear but there are provisions within the regulations that allow for more than one compensation claim.

Each case needs to be looked at on it's merits.

I believe the best way forwards, and the first step, is to put in a claim for each individual flight and keep each claim separate from the other. Then we can see what they say. They cannot claim it's all one delayed flight as your new fights were on different days with different flight numbers.

Claim 1 due to flight cancellation.

Claim 2 due to Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB)

Claim 3 due to delay.

Have a read of Vaubans guide, details just below here, to gain some information which you will need.

Should be an interesting claim, so please keep us up to date.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this as it is not really a reply, but I can't figure out how to post my own question, sorry about that.
    My situation seems similar to others in that my easyJet flight was cancelled due to alleged bad weather (which did not stop the BA flight landing) on a return flight from Gibraltar in June.
    I managed to rebook a flight for 5 days later then found my own hotel for that period. I do not want to claim for the flight as I just rebooked, but would like to know exactly what counts as 'bad weather', and if I can claim for the hotel, meals and airport parking overstay, totalling just over £700. I have logged a claim on easyJet's page but have not heard a peep from then, not even an acknowledgement of my claim.

The CAA did not want to help with a definition of 'bad weather' and just pointed me to easyJet's claim form.

Thanks for any help, I will look at other threads and pages but with 161 pages just to this thread, it may take time!

Rich
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure