Nationwide - Refer myself?

Hi

I was wondering whether I can recommend myself for the switch incentive to Nationwide and thus get £100 for recommending me, and £100 for me joining? That's £200 for me.

Is this possible? I guess I wouldn't need to open a. Ew flexi account as I already have one, just recommend my Halifax account joins?

Can't find any similar answers on the thread so here's hoping one of the regulars can help me out

Thanks you great bunch! :beer:

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nope.........
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Good luck. It's worth trying if only to see the advisor's face when you tell them what you're proposing.
    : )
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck. It's worth trying if only to see the advisor's face when you tell them what you're proposing.

"Hello, you know your recommend a friend scheme which is for existing customers to recommend new ones, and each separate person gets £100? How about I use it to recommend an existing customer, who is also the same person as the new customer, to open a new account with you, so I (the recommender) get £100 but I (the recommended) also get £100?"

And that's how OP will discover what it's like to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

I really don't understand how the OP came up with this absolute braincrash of an idea.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • pcman1985
    pcman1985 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unlikely. If it was true then everyone would be referring themselves.
  • Yeah, I thought as much!

Okay, so if a friend recommends that I join.. and I am already an existing member - would that be okay?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yeah, I thought as much!

Okay, so if a friend recommends that I join.. and I am already an existing member - would that be okay?

Yes, that's worked for me as an existing account holder (seems stupid of Nwide but that's their problem not mine).

And bizarrely they do allow you to recommend someone who's openng a joint account with you, so you do, in effect, recommend yourself as you get the £100 for referring and your partner gets the £100 for being referred, even though you are a joint holder on the new account and so that £100 is half yours (which also seems stupid of Nwide but ditto...).
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ...if a friend recommends that I join.. and I am already an existing member - would that be okay?
    There is a FAQ section on the Nationwide site (just type "refer" in the search box, click the first result returned, and scroll down). The answer to your question will be found in FAQ No 1.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yeah, I thought as much!

So long as the friend is a member, and not imaginary of course (the latter point purely based in the OP).
  • Hi, I am looking to open an account with Nationwide, would you want to refer me so we both get £100?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, I am looking to open an account with Nationwide, would you want to refer me so we both get £100?

There's a referrer section of the forum, especially for that. At time of looking Nationwide is the top one on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure