Supermarket crates

Am looking to buy half a dozen crates like the supermarkets use for home delivery, i believe they are called "bale arm crates".

I have looked online but most places seem to be geared up for wholesale bulk orders.

Anyone ordered them as a single customer?
Cheers.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Strange post to find. I know this is from a few months ago but it would good if anyone else who’s looking for them finds this.

Yes they are called tote boxes. Bottom line - you don't need to pay for them in my experience. They are a freebie. I think companies have large surpluses of them. There like shipping pallets it costs more to store or take them away than it does to give them away.

I only know this as end of last year I was moving house and the company next to me has hundreds stacked outside and in skips. I just asked them nicely and they gave me 10 for free and confirmed the above. They were a bit worn but for free its great.

http://valdamarkdirect.com/

Not sure how common this is but if your in the Manchester area and can collect its well worth asking as its win win for both.

Cheers
  • Strange that Asda got a mention because a few weeks ago I had an Asda delivery and the delivery person wanted to leave 4 plastic bale arm crates in my porch. He did claim that they would be picked up on my next delivery but I think that was just a way of offering them so they could be "conveniently" forgotten. I declined because I did not want them.

Maybe a home delivery and if you mention that they look like useful crates, they might give them to you, especially as they seem to like to dispose of them.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    I had a delivery arrive late a few months ago and the driver was happy just to leave the crates in my hall and said that they would pick up on another delivery. Guess they must have forgot ! - coming in rather handy for storage in shed.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport