Time to turn this around

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'm sure you could find 55p down the back of the sofa...
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm sure you could find 55p down the back of the sofa...

I found £4 down our sofa recently! :j
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • FiscalPickle
    FiscalPickle Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having focussed more on my weight loss efforts these last few weeks, I'm really pleased that I've lost 5.5lbs since 14 May. I'm finding MyFitnessPal really easy to use and navigate, I'm treating my calories like a budget and so far it's having the desired effect. 29.5lbs to go, happy days :j

Keeping an eye on food intake and meal planning/shopping is definitely working out as a money saver for us, as well as helping with weight loss. Mr P has joined me on MFP, it is much easier if we are on the same page about that as well as about finances. Things are much easier all round since we had our talk, I am starting to see the light at the end of this debt tunnel more clearly for both of us.
    £20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
    In the process of shedding 42lbs
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    Wow, 29 weeks since my LBM and starting this diary. When I look back, it doesn't feel like its been that long. In other ways, it feels like I've been in debt for a million years, its the realisation that is new.

Not been so good this week, I've drifted into my overdraft again. I've tried to rein things in, I have literally £4 to my name until pay day on Monday. The joint account has mere pennies, so no food shop this weekend and we'll just have to make do with what is in. I got paid £30 for a survey, which is slightly offsetting the near £250 deficit. I will also look to restart some selling, I have a few pairs of shoes and some bags that could potentially make a few quid. The buy and sell groups on Facebook are usually a good bet, but the people on there are so flaky. The amount of people who just don't turn up really got on my nerves, which is why I went back to eBay a while ago. Roll on payday :(
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    A little boost to the paying off of the Virgin CC, I'm due a £250 tax rebate - happy days!
    :j
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    Payday was on Monday, all debt payments have been made and piggy accounts fed. What is left for entertainment, fun and generally having a life is somewhat pitiful compared to my take-home pay. I’ve still managed to organise a couple of nights out though, but will be watching the expenditure both money and calorie-wise.
    My net pay is currently £2322, this went down slightly in April and May to £2292 due to pension contributions going up. It is has now evened out, as I was paying slightly too much income tax. My salary is due to go up in 3 months, so my net pay should rise to around £2450-2500.
    I did intend to eBay a few more items some weeks ago, but couldn’t work up the enthusiasm. To try and bring the credit card repayment date forward a month, I’ll list at least 4 items this weekend. I’ve got a leather satchel that is quite bulky so to save posting out that might be better to sell locally, but the Facebook page I’ve sold on in the past won’t accept the post for some reason.
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    Can't believe July is here already, we're over halfway through the year. It feels like only a couple of months since the New Year. The percentage of debt paid off since my LBM in December now stands at 25%, I feel like this is a really good milestone to have reached. I will only be a few hundred pounds short of 30% by next payday.

I've got a little money left in my account after paying debts and for a few essentials, I've budgeted a night out with a friend towards the end of the month, which will hopefully give me focus and keep me out of my overdraft. My main goal for this month is to end with the account in the black.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A quarter of the way already! Well done you! :)
    I’ve got a leather satchel that is quite bulky so to save posting out that might be better to sell locally, but the Facebook page I’ve sold on in the past won’t accept the post for some reason.

I had a couple of items that automatically screened out - one was some herb seeds that sounded as though I was selling explosives (rocket), another was soft toys that sounded as though I was selling animals (guinea pigs)! I don't know if this is a universal FB rule or particular to my local group. It's worth checking their small print.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    I had a couple of items that automatically screened out - one was some herb seeds that sounded as though I was selling explosives (rocket), another was soft toys that sounded as though I was selling animals (guinea pigs)! I don't know if this is a universal FB rule or particular to my local group. It's worth checking their small print.

That's a good suggestion, thanks Cherry :)
  • FiscalPickle
    Options
    A friend has suggested that a group of us to go a spa for the day towards the end of summer, the problem is it is over £100. I could in theory find the money, but it would mean paying that much less off the Virgin CC. I'm trying to reconcile wanting to be DF with having a social life and friends, a lot of the time we do low or no cost things, it's not like this is a regular treat. Bit of a dilemma
    :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family