I want to know if this is considered benefit fraud

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    John_Pots wrote: »
    Well, maybe not income support but they're getting a lot of money because they're disabled. Sorry again if I'm being rather unspecific.
    As for the disability benefits, it depends what he is on...PIP (Personal Independence Payments ....which is taking over from DLA - Disability Living Allowance) is the main disability benefit, and is non means-tested...you can be a millionaire and still claim this.

But it isn't a 'lot of money'.
  • So far this is what I've come to understand from all of the responses: DLA + offshore accounts, fine. Permanent council home + offshore accounts, also fine. Since the two are non means-tested, you can claim them no matter how much you've got.

What about using offshore accounts to fund a TV network that's broadcasting (24/7) from the UK (in fact, it's broadcasting from the council house I spoke about. Yes, the "friend" in question is using their council-given property as a studio of some sort!) but is in fact registered in another country (it doesn't legally exist in the UK)? Isn't that like evading taxes or some other kind of financial obligation that comes with airing/broadcasting from the UK?

I know I sound stupid which is why I need help. Again thanks a lot guys!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes.

The punishment should be: the removal of his danglies should be broadcast live on his own TV network .... right before the company is auctioned off to recover the stolen benefits.

The removed danglies can then be turned into tasteful ornaments for the person who dobbed the scrote in.

:)
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a non-British friend who's been living in the UK for 20+ years and claims income support, disability benefits, housing benefits and has even secured a permanent property (two floor house) from the local council.

However, they also happen to have an offshore (Dubai) account with a balance of 200k+ euros which remains undeclared to the (British) authorities and earns no interest and the money wasn't earned inside the UK.

All savings, bank accounts, investments and property which they may have in this country and/or abroad must be declared. This is known as capital.

Capital includes all money, investments, property or savings, which they or their partner may have. It includes all bank, building society and post office accounts, stocks and shares, cash and even money held by someone else on their behalf or owed to them.

As for the 'TV broadcasting'...if they are earning income from their 'work', it needs to be declared.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    So far this is what I've come to understand from all of the responses: DLA + offshore accounts, fine. Permanent council home + offshore accounts, also fine. Since the two are non means-tested, you can claim them no matter how much you've got.

What about using offshore accounts to fund a TV network that's broadcasting (24/7) from the UK (in fact, it's broadcasting from the council house I spoke about. Yes, the "friend" in question is using their council-given property as a studio of some sort!) but is in fact registered in another country (it doesn't legally exist in the UK)? Isn't that like evading taxes or some other kind of financial obligation that comes with airing/broadcasting from the UK?

I know I sound stupid which is why I need help. Again thanks a lot guys!
    Living in a council house and paying full rent is fine.
    Housing benefit is means-tested - so it depends what you mean about the bit in bold being 'fine'.

Just curious - what has your so-called-friend done to get you so riled up about his financial dealings?

TBH, I think this thread has now taken a turn that puts it outside the boundaries of this specific board.
  • https://www.gov.uk/national-benefit-fraud-hotline

Send them a message. They'll be able to see if he's claiming means tested benefits or not and then decide whether to take action. You won't find out what they do, unless your friend tells you.

If you suspected a friend of any other crime you wouldn't think twice of reporting them to the police. This is no different.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Without more knowledge of the actual benefits being claimed it's impossible to answer the question. In basic terms, if the friend is claiming Income Related benefits with 200k in a bank anywhere they are almost certainly committing benefit fraud.
    As said in #17 above, if you suspect benefit fraud you can report it and should do.
  • He doesn't pay for the council house he lives in. It's not rented. It was given to him by the council 6 years ago after living (with his family) in a temporary council home for 6 years.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    He doesn't pay for the council house he lives in. It's not rented. It was given to him by the council 6 years ago after living (with his family) in a temporary council home for 6 years.

Do you mean HB covers the rent?
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Hope HMRC know about his 'network' if he gets any income from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure