Rambling on...

Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    We moved from Sky to Virgin a few years ago as every time the wind blows the Sky signal disappears in our area. Have haggled the V price down a couple of times with the retention dept. Having said that, we mainly watch Freeview.

I love the build up to Christmas but the day itself is pretty boring for us. No one ever comes to visit and we never get invited anywhere. I usually end up taking the dog for a long walk. The Christmas just before Mr SA got ill we took the dog to the coast on Christmas Day and walked on the beach. It was a great day, we took a picnic and really enjoyed it. We don't have a Christmas dinner either, we often have curry. I'd love to have a more traditional day but it's not to be. So I can totally understand your situation.

If it comes to it, and you end up on your own, put your feet up with a beer, enjoy watching TV and chat to your MSE friends :)

Thanks, you good folks are great and that would be a lovely thing to do :A
    I may even just go for a long drive, maybe head out to the coast and cook dinner on a beach...

Have heard from a few friends that have S and they say the same as you guys about service...
    I'm just going to haggle with V for the best deal I can get that suits me... ;)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I will contradict everyone else about sky. Never had a problem in 6 years with tv or broadband. I always haggle with them and they have always reduced the price.

U S you like cooking , why don't you volunteer somewhere on Christmas Day , feeding the homeless etc. You wouldn't be on your own , will probably have a great time. Just a thought , as I don't like the notion of anyone being alone on Christmas Day unless it's what they want.
  • UncannyScot
    Hi Cumbria lass

I have done a lot of volunteering and fundraising for Homeless charities and it is great to be able to give back. Shelter and the Salvation Army helped me when I was homeless and I truly believe that if it wasn't for them... I would not be here today...
    Thank you, it is certainly a consideration for the festive season to help out in some way.

The old V vs S dilemma...
    It does seem to be the case that S service suffers in less sheltered areas. However, I have heard from folks with S locally that it is good in our area and they've had no problems just like yourself...
    My main concern is broadband service tbh. I'm used to the high-speed and excellent service of V, however it may be overkill as I am the only user and maybe do not need as much...
    I do want to keep my costs down as much as possible and the S offer does meet my £40 budget limit... and provides everything I need... So, it's still in the balance ;)

I have a busy day ahead (again), one of my team is off today so I have a little more than usual to do...

Have a great day folks and I shall be back on later with more ramblings, as usual
    :A
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2017 at 11:35AM
    @UncannyScot: look into Crisis at Christmas if there is one close to you.

It's my 3rd year volunteering with them, I'm doing the 23rd and 24th of December this year. I don't usually volunteer on Christmas day because I do spend it with family (my parents are coming from overseas or we go to theirs), but I know Crisis needs volunteers especially for the 25th and 26th. You should still be able to register as a general volunteer https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/crisis-at-christmas/
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • UncannyScot
    Evening folks :D

Very busy day at work today... sometimes, it is only when you're a team member down that you realise just how much they do and how much you rely on them. I owe that lass a meal and a few drinks, definitely... she's a bloody marvel

My best mate and his good lady have invited me over to theirs for Christmas :D
    I have asked them to mine for New Year... sorted :beer: :j

I will be making donations to my local Shelter and Salvation Army Charity Shops this year.

Chilling and settling in for the evening now... BBT is on soon :D
    ... and I have a couple of brews too :beer:

Hope you've all had good days too folks
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Great news on the Christmas invite, and new year at yours. You best get that homebrew kept going for the festivities.

We collect at work for homeless , by not sending Christmas cards to each other but donating £5 instead.

Have a good evening.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I’m so pleased you’ve sorted your Christmas and New Year Uncanny. Shelter is one of the charities that I donate to each month - so awful to be homeless.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • UncannyScot
    Some of my mates and I were thinking of doing the "Sleep In The Park" in Embra (Edinburgh ;) )
    However, only myself and one other of our group has any actual experience of rough sleeping. In truth, you don't actually get very much sleep when you're on the streets. Some of the folks that you may see out there and you think they are drunk or off their faces on something, chances are that they are suffering from sleep deprivation, hunger and/or ill. Being cold, damp, tired and hungry will wear even the strongest folks down eventually... from now, through to March... some folks won't make it through the winter. You'll not hear about them though... they're the lost and forgotten people to most folks.

At this time of year in particular, I am thankful that I am no longer "out there", that I am one of the lucky ones... I got my break. I will NEVER forget those dark times... and I will be forever grateful to the good folks that helped me, the friends that never gave up on searching for me, the services, both charitable and civil that helped me to put the pieces back together and gave me a life again...

Sorry, I sound like a charity advert...:o
    Please, if you can, help out a homeless charity. You may well be helping someone get their life back again...

Maybe, one day, I will write up my experiences...
    Thanks for reading, I'm sorry if I have upset anyone :o
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I hope you don't mind me popping in. If you're looking at getting Sky have a look to see if they still have any recommend a friend deals going on. I recently phoned to ask about deals for my mum and she decided to go ahead with what they offered. They said that because I was already a Sky subscriber both her and myself would get a £50 pre-pay credit card. And we both did. Then I had a look on their site a bit later and they still had the recommend a friend deal but it had went up to £100 each!

Not sure if it's still on BUT if you know of someone already with Sky and you can get a good deal, ask if they'll recommend you. It would be in their interests too. :)
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The offer is still on but it's back to £50 each. http://www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offers/introduceafriend/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback