We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Morning fellow hen keepers, I am looking for a bit of advice. One of our hens (approx. 18 months old) was a bit out of sorts last night. Her feathers were all fluffed up and she kept closing her eyes and was distant from the rest of the hens. she was drinking but not eating.

I left her to go to bed with the others but this morning she wasn't keen to come out the coop (she was sitting on a roosting perch) but we got her out and have brought her inside. I have given her some glucose based tonic drink and she has some porridge but hasn't touched it and won't eat mealworms either. She is breathing fine, her crop doesn't feel hard or filled with liquid and she doesn't feel like she has an egg impacted (as far as I can tell). She has had a couple of poos in the house - very pale and liquidy.

I have had to leave her while I'm at work but wondered if there's anything else I can do for her tonight when I get home. She was just standing still in the dog cage but I have put blankets and newspaper in it for her to cosy in if she gets cold. Its horrible having sick hens :-(
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • So sorry you have a poorly hen. Can you treat for cossidiosis? That's wht we think we lost ours to. Is her breathing heavy, blowing bubbles at all? Coxoid is the treatment we were recommended but we didn't have time to use it before we lost her :( withdraw any eggs if you use it. Good luck and hugs x
  • Very sad to report the loss of 1 gosling. RIP little thing.
  • ali-t
    So sorry you have a poorly hen. Can you treat for cossidiosis? That's wht we think we lost ours to. Is her breathing heavy, blowing bubbles at all? Coxoid is the treatment we were recommended but we didn't have time to use it before we lost her :( withdraw any eggs if you use it. Good luck and hugs x

No heavy breathing at all or blowing bubbles. she just looks a bit scunnered with life. I'll have a look at cossidiosis and the treatment.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Good luck, let us know how she is doing
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hello Ali-t

I was also thinking along the lines of your poor little hen having Coccidiosis. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is exactly wrong with them. Your post about her was excellently written as you had clearly described what you had checked with her before posting on here. Well done.

Not sure what to suggest except to keep her warm and quiet and see how she is in the morning. I am sure you know to keep some water by her so she can have a drink if she wants to. Sometimes for what ever reason some hens just call it a day and this can happen with young hens too.

Please let us know how she is when you can.

Edwink x ((((HUGS))))
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have come home and she is still alive but lethargic and doesnt look like she has eaten or drunk.im going to put her in the garden on the grass for a bit to see if she does 'chicken things'. Her poo is watery but no blood in it which seems a good sign in relation to coccidiosis but no egg today. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks again and fingers xed some tlc is all that is needed.
  • ali-t
    We lost her this morning which was sad but better than her being miserable or in pain. Whatever it was doesnt seem to have affected any of the others but keeping a close eye on them all. Thanks for the suggestions and support.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ali-t thank you for posting and letting us all know. That is so sad. As you say at least she is not suffering now, bless her!!

I hate it every time that happens here and boy I have lost quite a few over my time of having them live with me. Never gets any easier for me though.

Hugs for you Ali-t ((((HUGS))))

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear about your hen ali-t, and gosling SM_antics. :( We also lost one of our oldest girls last week, she seemed to have literally dropped off the perch so I think it must have been age related/her heart. She was quite a character so I'm missing her!

Does anybody have any helpful ideas with poop management? :rotfl:

Our girls free range around the whole garden and OH isn't always chuffed the amount of poo on the path etc. I've also noticed the last few days now it's getting a little bit warmer there seem to be a few flies in the garden, although our youngest hen does a good job in chasing them.

Apart from picking up what I can I don't think there's much I can do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback