Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I consider myself very fortunate.

I have a pension that I can live on comfortably and I still save the same as I did when working....BUT that is the happy fund. Save each month, yes, then I spend it sharpish! What am I saving for now except to enjoy it!

There comes a time in life when biting the bullet is a good thing.

Anyway, this is me, it is not the same for others. I know that so I don't want to sound in any way condescending.

I do not have the resources of the OP Marine Life, and never will. But I don't need that. I have enough, I am comfortable, and I sure am enjoying myself in the process!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 30 August 2015 at 9:12AM
    Options
    Marine life, great points and I also was in that 1%. Frankly if I had not been pushed I might have hung around for years.
    Now I thank Heaven that THEY wanted me gone.
    18th (actually 19th but I "messed about" for a few months before realising I was FREE, how dumb was that!) anniversary coming up in a couple of days. Hurrah
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Am I the successful accountant or am I the person who like to grow a beard, wear shorts and tee shirts and stand around looking at the beauty of the world?

Are "successful accountant" or "beardie hippie" really the only two alternatives? ... Can't you be the "successful accountant" who retired to live a full and interesting life?

Don't mean to be blunt or over the top, but how much do you want to risk the very possibly small chance of being "guy who died at his desk"? ... I've worked with more than one hard-working "successful" bloke who upped and died unexpectedly about five years before retirement. My own mother died at 59 and that is one reason I do not want to keep working till my 60s.

I've got a good job and I do understand the reluctance to give up the label. But you're always the person who had that career - no one can take that away. Surely it's proof of your success that you're in a position to be able to retire early!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    So if it's no longer about the money then what's it all about? Its all about the psychology.

You're a little late to your own party! I think most people here have spotted it stopped being about money years ago.
    1. I'm in a job where the pay puts me in the top 1% of earners. Coming from a working class background I am acutely aware of the privileged position, what others would do to be there and what it would mean to walk away.

2. This sounds very poncy, but....well...I'm still not sure who I am! Am I the successful accountant or am I the person who like to grow a beard, wear shorts and tee shirts and stand around looking at the beauty of the world? If you're not sure who you are or more importantly who you want to be...then maybe remain as you are if who you are right now is a pretty good place to be.:o See I told you it was poncy.

There's no doubt that the more options you have the more difficult decision making becomes.

Working class background, accountant, 1% - that's a narrative of your life (we all like to tell a 'story' about ourselves) - it's not who you are.

If the only thing stopping you is worrying about the answer to the question 'who am I?' I'd suggest it's about time you retired and found out. Given you struggle to answer the question now I don't know why you're concerned about answering it in the future.

The Grim Reaper has a date set in stone for your meeting - he won't delay even if you do.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You want to see a poor deal? See the article in this morning's Tel.

I was reading that yesterday and was horrified.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    You want to see a poor deal? See the article in this morning's Tel.

Driven by money alone. Sums up many people these days I suspect. My late grandmother always reminded me of the fable of the hare and the tortoise when I was young.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Are "successful accountant" or "beardie hippie" really the only two alternatives? ... Can't you be the "successful accountant" who retired to live a full and interesting life?

Don't mean to be blunt or over the top, but how much do you want to risk the very possibly small chance of being "guy who died at his desk"? ... I've worked with more than one hard-working "successful" bloke who upped and died unexpectedly about five years before retirement. My own mother died at 59 and that is one reason I do not want to keep working till my 60s.

I've got a good job and I do understand the reluctance to give up the label. But you're always the person who had that career - no one can take that away. Surely it's proof of your success that you're in a position to be able to retire early!

I think, after retirement, there's no need to give yourself a label anymore.

You can do anything, go anywhere, and be whoever you want to be. You don't have to define yourself by a role or a title.

There's no reason to restrict yourself to being 'bearded hippy' or 'successful accountant (retired)'. You can be both, and everything in between, if you wish.

I enjoy going on cruises, and getting dressed up to the nines on the formal nights - but I also like being at home in the summer in my shorts and tee-shirts. I like the quiet of the countryside, the seaside which can be bustling in summer and desolate in winter. But I also like the frenetic activity of cities (for a few days at least). I've got lots of interests - some on the high brow side, some distinctly low brow.

I'm just being 'me', but a more happy and relaxed 'me' than I ever was when I worked.

There's no point in trying to pidgeon-hole yourself. You can do whatever you want to do..... and some days you don't do anything at all. You don't have to fill every single hour with an activity. There's no pressure anymore.

PS - I have no intention of growing a beard!:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm in a strange position now.

I could conceivably take a package now at getting on for 54, and according to my calculations, retire on about 50% of current household income. The trouble is, each year I put off retiring, increases the annual pension income by around 6-7%.

I've decided to put it off to 56, another 12-15% p.a. spending money (ish) for the rest of my life for 2 and 1/2 more years of what is becoming a minor hell in work seems an acceptable price to pay.

On the plus side, if I do get pushed out as they've now started a purge (disguised as job capability assessments), at least I now know I can either take a part-time job stacking shelves, van driving, hunt beating, etc. for a couple of years or contract for a much higher wage for a year - or just quit work anyway and accept a lower income.

It's a nice feeling knowing I don't actually 'need' to work so that makes it a bit more bearable for me.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »

My father died at an early age, just 2 years older than I am now.

Doesn't mean I am going to follow him if we dont have the same risk factors.

Marine life doesn't sound too stressed to me?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    I was reading that yesterday and was horrified.

And given it was probably written a few weeks back, wonder how much his pot is worth now post correction?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback