Glasses....anyone buy from Selectspecs or eyewearcentre?

I'm looking to buy some glasses and I found the models I liked in https://www.selectspecs.com and https://www.eyewearcentre.com

I done a bit of research and it seems that SelectSpecs is based in Kent whereas EyewearCentre (also known as Giarre) is based in Italy. Both offer cheap/free delivery.

Has anyone had any experience with them? How are their build? - is it well made? and outta interest, does it include the original case?

For approximately the same price, Eyewearcentre offers super thin lense (refractive index = 1.67!) whereas with SelectSpecs, it's 1.60 (which is still v good) - hence why I am tending towards Eyewearcentre/Giarre. Would love to hear your experiences about them :)

Comments

• dieseldog
    dieseldog Posts: 107 Forumite
    My wife and I had a pair each from selectspecs the glasses are very well made and excellent value.I had rimless titanium £41.95 my wifes are semi rimless £28.95,I was a little unsure about filling the online prescription in so we rang them they took our number and called back later.The optician could not have been more helpful the gasses arrived after around 7 working days and are excellent.Hope this helps.
  • I have no connection with this Company but I bought some half frimmed specs from them at quarter of the price than in the shops. The website is: https://www.specky4eyes.co.uk. They have a service where if you like the frames but arent sure they'll suit, will deliver them to you to try first:cool2:
  • sleepy
    sleepy Posts: 391 Forumite
    I can highly reccomend selectspecs.com

A month ago I ordered some prescription sunglasses from them for £19.46 (total cost inc delivery). I was so impressed that 10 days ago I ordered some rimless glasses for £35.94 (again total cost!). The rimless pair arrived today and they're great.

The service is excellent, both pairs of glasses have been amazing quality for the price, people would easily believe I'd paid at least £100 extra for each, especially the rimless pair.
  • seanparkin
    seanparkin Posts: 579 Forumite
    Can you claim back the cost of these glasses from a HSA plan? Particularly Vision2you?
    DONE: Great North Run 09! Raised £452 for the National Autistic Society
    SOON: Cycling John O'Groats to Lands End! For the National Autistic Society
    Please sponsor Me! http://www.justgiving.com/sean-parkin

Debtwatch - Flexiloan (£1844 - £0 by July 11) - Personal Loan (Closed Jan10!) - Egg CC (Closed June 09!) - Tesco CC (Closed May 10!)
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Avoid SelectSpecs like the plague. Six weeks ago i order a very simple set of glasses. I am still waiting for them to arrive. Apparently they were recently posted from HONG KONG, and have to wait another 20 days!!

If you order, don’t bet on getting your glasses!
  • ok, i thought selectspec.com seemed a really good deal, and they had the glasses I wanted, so i put in an order at the beginning of this week. however, I got an email the following day saying the glasses i wanted were discontinued, so i emailed back and asked them to refund my money as it was just those particular glasses i wanted. they replied and said they would process the money and it would be in my account in 4-5 days. i've since read a few reviews saying they're really really bad, you either never get the glasses or they dont give you your money back. what can i do?? help please, as they were £100! :mad:
  • shalroth
    shalroth Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 7 August 2010 at 5:15PM
    ...I got my glasses from them about a year ago. I have a high degree of astigmatism and some myopia, and toric contact lenses (especially continuous wear) work well for me, but sometimes my eyes need a bit of a rest. I got some basic level specs which are close to my prescription - getting a perfect match would have cost more. But the specs I got are perfectly acceptable, and I wear them at work all the time (I'm an engineer in IT support and spend a lot of time staring at VDUs). They're not completely style free either, and cost GBP8 delivered! Took about three weeks to arrive, but you can't beat that value. My partner got some more expensive half-rims with a better fit for his prescription (he's severely myopic and slightly astigmatic, the other way round to me) for about GBP30. Fantastic value and perfectly acceptable products and results - as long as you're not in a hurry.
  • smala01 wrote: »
    Avoid SelectSpecs like the plague. Six weeks ago i order a very simple set of glasses. I am still waiting for them to arrive. Apparently they were recently posted from HONG KONG, and have to wait another 20 days!!

If you order, don’t bet on getting your glasses!

Now that's interesting - we've had three or four pairs from this company and while a bit slow, we've had absolutely no negative experiences. Maybe they've slipped a bit since we made our orders?
  • SelectSpecs_company_representative
    SelectSpecs_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    shalroth wrote: »
    Now that's interesting - we've had three or four pairs from this company and while a bit slow, we've had absolutely no negative experiences. Maybe they've slipped a bit since we made our orders?

Hi Shalroth,

The post you were referring to is over a year old ;) We had a few problems with delivery around that time due to the launch of a our £5 glasses range but this has since been resolved. As far as we are aware, most orders fulfilled by our Hong Kong lab are completed and shipped within a week and delivered within a week after this.

Kind regards,

James
    SelectSpecs.com
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • punksluck
    punksluck Posts: 96 Forumite
    That's funny, apart from all the complaints listed on the MSE boards I've actually spoken to two different people on consumer forums who claimed to have never received their glasses from your company after paying for them. Can you just confirm to everyone that you have ironed these problems out now or did they even exist in the first place?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure