Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• Thanks again, sorry to keep banging on, According to MSE calculator the price of this bungalow was £66,029. Which is within the Band C 52 to 68K
    Does that work both ways? This property has not been sold since 1996 with improvements made by the current owners.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Calculators should not be relied on, as they can only give approximate valuations. If the current owners have made improvements, it would suggest the value would be higher.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    Lincroft - looking at the sales evidence in our area it appears that a new build premium was in the region of 10-12% as at 1991 prices and an additional garage would have been approx £12,405
    I kept coming up with a figure of £24,000 but that's because house prices in the area were on the rise rather than falling!
    Does that sound about right to you?
    Thanks
  • It makes me a bit frustrated: houses round here have been improved/extended a lot, but still remain in the same band my house is in. I know that is the way it works, but just seems unfair to me.
  • lincroft1710
    ddks wrote: »
    Lincroft - looking at the sales evidence in our area it appears that a new build premium was in the region of 10-12% as at 1991 prices and an additional garage would have been approx £12,405
    I kept coming up with a figure of £24,000 but that's because house prices in the area were on the rise rather than falling!
    Does that sound about right to you?
    Thanks

Difficult to say. In the areas I worked, house prices peaked in about 1988/89 then fell until 1995/96 after which they quickly rose reaching 1991 levels in 1997/98. I seem to remember colleagues talking about 10% new house premium but cannot remember if there was evidence to back this up.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    Difficult to say. In the areas I worked, house prices peaked in about 1988/89 then fell until 1995/96 after which they quickly rose reaching 1991 levels in 1997/98. I seem to remember colleagues talking about 10% new house premium but cannot remember if there was evidence to back this up.

I can only see & prove a 5% new build premium from a sale in 1990 compared to a 1991 sale of an identical property.
    The remainder of the second hand sales within each area, with no adjustments brings me back to £24,000 for an additional garage - the properties have no conservatories, no large gardens!

The larger new estate was approx £6,000 cheaper than exiting properties in the area.

Sales of estate properties (new or second hand) with single garages (integral or detached) up to 150m2 show a max of £79,950!

Property prices were on the way up in the area.

The only properties that were over £88,000 were infill plots. I can understand that these have individuality compared to estate developments.
  • lincroft1710
    ddks wrote: »
    I can only see & prove a 5% new build premium from a sale in 1990 compared to a 1991 sale of an identical property.
    The remainder of the second hand sales within each area, with no adjustments brings me back to £24,000 for an additional garage - the properties have no conservatories, no large gardens!

The larger new estate was approx £6,000 cheaper than exiting properties in the area.

Sales of estate properties (new or second hand) with single garages (integral or detached) up to 150m2 show a max of £79,950!

Property prices were on the way up in the area.

The only properties that were over £88,000 were infill plots. I can understand that these have individuality compared to estate developments.

There is little more I can say. Prices in your area were behaving very differently to the areas I am familiar with, and any further comment would be pure guesswork on my part
  • I've tried getting my house re-banded downwards. The local valuation officer paid a visit, the upshot being that I could go to Triibunal if I wished but I wouldn't succeed because the house was too big to be down banded. And there I was thinking Council Tax was based on value. I mentioned this to a member of staff in the local authority's council tax department and she'd never heard of banding being based on size.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Clearly the greater the square footage the greater the £ generally speaking. But no, there is no "too big to re-band" rule if that is what you were told.

[Unless of course it's in Chelsea or a mansion in the countryside, ie little point arguing you shouldn't be in Band H if it's worth £20m]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • No, this is a standard 3-bedroom stone cottage being charged more than similar and more expensive properties in the same village. I watched Martin's TV prog last night and I've done everything he said - checked what others are paying, valued the property at 2003 prices (I live in Wales). But apparently, as well as the size mattering, I not allowed to backdate the value either! There was an independent valuation made in early 2016 (£125,000) which cut no ice. Still in Band E.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback