Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,638 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you disagree with the VOA evidence then I would suggest you list each property and mention every aspect which leads you to believe that that property is not a suitable comparison to yours or does not support the band.

I would further suggest that for those with double garages, you check to see if they have any other features, i.e. ensuites, quality conservatories or significantly larger plots that would help explain the price difference.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    If you disagree with the VOA evidence then I would suggest you list each property and mention every aspect which leads you to believe that that property is not a suitable comparison to yours or does not support the band.

I would further suggest that for those with double garages, you check to see if they have any other features, i.e. ensuites, quality conservatories or significantly larger plots that would help explain the price difference.

All plots are practically the same size, none have conservatories, only one has no ensuite, which sold for 74k in Aug 91. 2 properties are on corner plots but overall the plot sizes are the same

We have written in but don’t want to discuss the evidence! Even the SLO doesn’t want to discuss it!

We’re basically have this information & nobody wants to explain how they’ve come to the conclusion why a 4 bed detached with a single garage should be in a Band E.

We don’t know where to go from here
  • lincroft1710
    As this is going to Tribunal at some time, then that would be the time to dispute VOA evidence
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ddks
    As this is going to Tribunal at some time, then that would be the time to dispute VOA evidence

No tribunal, it’s just an informal band review. So will have no legal right to contest the decision.

A neighbour went to Tribunal for a material reduction without this information and lost, their property was smaller, no court code against their property. They are concerned that they will remain in the higher Band.

Not sure how they stand if the original banding was incorrect.
  • lincroft1710
    Sorry, from your posts earlier last year I thought this was going to Tribunal. Therefore if VOA don't want to discuss, there's little chance of this going anywhere.

With regard to the neighbour, if they went to Tribunal and lost, that's it, no reduction.
  • ddks
    Sorry, from your posts earlier last year I thought this was going to Tribunal. Therefore if VOA don't want to discuss, there's little chance of this going anywhere.

With regard to the neighbour, if they went to Tribunal and lost, that's it, no reduction.

This is banding on a bigger sized 10m2 property, which has 3 reception rooms.
    So, without an explanation as to how the banding has been achieved that’s that then?
  • lincroft1710
    If there is no right of appeal to a Tribunal, the VOA can simply say they believe the current band is correct if they do not consider evidence provided proved otherwise. There is no legislation that says they have to explain themselves although I consider it unprofessional not to do so.

A senior colleague said to me many years ago that the VOA were under no obligation to provide evidence to a Tribunal (although obviously it would be sensible to do so) but could just state that in their professional and considered opinion the disputed band was correct.
  • ddks
    If there is no right of appeal to a Tribunal, the VOA can simply say they believe the current band is correct if they do not consider evidence provided proved otherwise. There is no legislation that says they have to explain themselves although I consider it unprofessional not to do so.

A senior colleague said to me many years ago that the VOA were under no obligation to provide evidence to a Tribunal (although obviously it would be sensible to do so) but could just state that in their professional and considered opinion the disputed band was correct.

That’s awful! That opens up to so much manipulation for the benefit of the agency.

I spoke to a local resident who had lived in their property for over 3 years and believed his banding was incorrect. He had an invalidity notice & put in an appeal at VTS. So no legal right, as he had been the owner for more than 6 months but before the hearing they reduced his banding! So why the submission in those circumstances??
  • lincroft1710
    ddks wrote: »

I spoke to a local resident who had lived in their property for over 3 years and believed his banding was incorrect. He had an invalidity notice & put in an appeal at VTS. So no legal right, as he had been the owner for more than 6 months but before the hearing they reduced his banding! So why the submission in those circumstances??

The VOA are obliged to investigate any request for a band reduction. The level of investigation will depend on many factors. It could be a cursory glance or it could be a thorough investigation which may take several hours. Or quite possibly it seemed very obvious the band was incorrect. Where there is no clear answer, it can often depend on the mindset of the caseworker.

Some years ago a colleague had to take over cases usually dealt with by another office as that caseworker was away for several months. My colleague reduced quite a few bands. Upon their return to work the caseworker promptly increased all the bands which had been incorrectly reduced in their opinion.
  • Kerrylisa
    Kerrylisa Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 February 2018 at 6:32PM
    If my estimated 1991 valuation is only £150 within the band C, is it worth contacting the council to check if I should be in band B? From my research online it seems all houses along my road were put in band C.
    Would appreciate any advice on this.
    Btw, this is my first time on the forum
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport