CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud

Barcalys have put a CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud.

It all started with lending my friend money here and there. After a few months I needed the money back, so my friend transferred me the money which was £300 into my account.

After a few days my online banking stopped working, I popped into the branch and they told me the money you recieved was fraudlent money, and my account will be closed because of that. I tried explaining what happened and that I literally didn't have a clue the money was fraudlent. But they was simply not interested.

After a few weeks I recieved my bank statement and it says 'account closing on 24th July 2017'.

So I thought no problems I'll take my business elsewhere, but every single bank I applied for, rejected me giving me hints about a CIFAS marker on my name for fraud.

Now, I don't understand why have I been called the fraudster? I recieved money that was owed to me and I cashed it out. I don't know how or where my friend got the money from, all I know is that I recieved my money and thats the end of it.

I have my student loan coming in real soon and I'm stuck without a bank to put the student loan into. I'm planning on dropping out my degree that's starting real soon because I won't have the money for resources.

I've requested a SAR from CIFAS and should be here in a few days.

How do I go about removing this CIFAS marker. It has really put my life on hold, as I literally cannot do anything without a bank account e.g. car insurance, bills, wages and contracts.

Will I have a good chance of getting this CIFAS marker removed? I'm starting to have sleepless nights just thinking about this CIFAS marker on my name.

Comments

• Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 5:16PM
    Hi

I don't know much about this, but I would suspect that it depends on why the bank think it was fraud. If they are justified in thinking that then they have a legal duty to report this on your credit file. In this case, it would be very difficult to open a new bank account.

There are prepay accounts which would allow you to send and receive money but they can charge about £20 a month. You would need to check if you'd be eligible with a CIFAS marker though...

The following may help
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/dispute_a_warning_can_I_get_it_amended_removed
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a savings account that you can use pro tem?
  • xylophone wrote: »
    Do you have a savings account that you can use pro tem?
    Unfortunately not, I only had a current account with Barclays which they closed.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You'll be raising a dispute? See link.

Giving up your course hardly seems a wise decision.

If you have no savings account, would it be possible for your grant to be paid into a parental account and paid to you by them while you sort this out?
  • Jonathan675
    Jonathan675 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 6:35PM
    xylophone wrote: »
    You'll be raising a dispute? See link.

Giving up your course hardly seems a wise decision.

If you have no savings account, would it be possible for your grant to be paid into a parental account and paid to you by them while you sort this out?
    I'll be raising a dispute in writing to Barclays once I recieve my CIFAS report, but I just wanted to know the chances of CIFAS marker getting removed from my name, because this could happen to anybody tbh, recieving fraudlent money.

I contacted Student finance england, they told me I cannot get the grant paid into a family members account, only way to recieve the grant is through a bank account on my name.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds to me that the ''friend'' may have stolen the funds from somebody'else's account OP how well did you know them?
  • Chalkius
    Chalkius Posts: 110 Forumite
    I'm surprised they told you in branch it was fraud. Thought that's considered tipping off, they normally close accounts and don't disclose why, they just refer to T&C's
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You haven't said what your friend...sorry "friend"..... says about this. Is he claiming it's all a huge mix-up or has he gone to ground?
  • The money didn't come from your friend
    You whipped it out in cash straight away which looks dodgy
    You probably knew your friend was at it
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • Chalkius wrote: »
    I'm surprised they told you in branch it was fraud. Thought that's considered tipping off, they normally close accounts and don't disclose why, they just refer to T&C's

Tipping off refers to money laundering, not fraud.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure