Pocket Money

Options

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    By 12 years old, kids should have some kind of work ethic. If by 12 they still have the attitude that they will only do chores for money and not out of respect and kindness, then you have pretty much failed as a parent on that aspect.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    By 12 years old, kids should have some kind of work ethic. If by 12 they still have the attitude that they will only do chores for money and not out of respect and kindness, then you have pretty much failed as a parent on that aspect.

Personally I don't work for free, I don't expect my kids to either.
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

Really? Do you pay yourself to do your own ironing and washing up then?

Terrible example.
  • Comms69
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Really? Do you pay yourself to do your own ironing and washing up then?

Terrible example.

No I pay the kids....

Unfortunately I cant send them up the chimney's these days.....
  • HelenNoreen
    Options
    Although I don't think this actually encourages him to read, as he loves books anyway, I give my 6 year son 50p each time he reads (we try and read a few pages each day)
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    No I pay the kids....

Unfortunately I cant send them up the chimney's these days.....

I havent even got a chimney so you wont get me on that one. But I will get my daughter to do the washing up now and again as a favour, rather than as an employee....
  • dsab
    dsab Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have 2 daughters (6&8), and the younger one gets £2 a week and the older one £3 a week. They can spend it as they see fit, but so far they have mostly saved it. Interestingly since they get pocket money they have decided that certain things they previously asked for are now just too expensive to waste their money on, like trading cards, small collectible figures, nom nom's etc. They value things very differently now. So that has certainly been a win in my opinion.

In exchange for the pocket money they have to do their homework on time, clean their rooms, set the dinner table and fill and empty the dish washer.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options

Who pays you to run your household?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options

Its not about working for free, it's about being a contributing member of the household in which they are part of. No one pays me to do the ironing, hoover, scrub the toilet etc.
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what age do parents start giving kids pocket money?

My two are both too young at the moment to even understand the concept of money and I have no idea when to expect them to be wanting their own money!

I started getting pocket money at the age of 5 when I started school. Back then I could either afford a packet of stickers or some sweets. My dad would take me each week to the newsagent and let me choose which I wanted, on occasion he would buy me the item I couldn't afford (with a 'shhhh' don't tell mum) but that was always a treat and I never asked / expected it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Comms69
    Options
    Who pays you to run your household?

No one obviously that part of being a parent. But I want my kids to learn that work is rewarded and I can’t send them down the coal mine...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure