Never had a Credit Card.... need one for car hire. Can anyone help?

Options
2»

Comments

• SeanG79
    SeanG79 Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my experience, you don't need a credit card for the car hire, as long as you take the full insurance from the car hire company desk when you collect the car.

I have hired numerous cars from several different car hire companies and never used my credit card.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SeanG79 wrote: »
    In my experience, you don't need a credit card for the car hire, as long as you take the full insurance from the car hire company desk when you collect the car.

I have hired numerous cars from several different car hire companies and never used my credit card.

But that insurance is very expensive when you can get a full years insurance from an independent company for a fraction of the price they charge for a week.

Your just throwing money down the drain doing this.
  • SeanG79
    SeanG79 Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, but if your credit limit on your credit card doesn't cover the full deposit, which I have experienced as high as £3k on a large vehicle or you do not have a credit card, then it is a solution to the immediate problem...
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    you don't necessarily need a credit card, but just be aware they will put a hold on funds for the deposit on any card whether it be debit or credit.
    You will probably have some form of protection if using a credit card though, but you would need to check first.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mickym wrote: »
    Oh, and unfortunately I cant wait a month or two as I need to book the rental asap as its for hire in mid December.
    Worth checking with them but my expectation would be that you should be able to use a debit card when making and prepaying the (fixed-cost) booking just now but then a credit card at the time of collecting the vehicle, when they'll do the preauthorisation for the deposit, i.e. you shouldn't need the credit card until December.
  • mickym
    mickym Posts: 456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tried booking with Enterprise online and it states Credit Card not Debit card

Just back from Natwest and signed up to their Rewards account for £2 per month where I get cashback on phone bills, food shopping, petrol.

As part of this I get a credit card for 'free' rather than a £24 per month charge.

I do a lot of food shopping and if i pay for it on the credit card I get 3% cashback at supermarkets, so it could end up saving me some cash in the long run.

Just need to wait 10 days for it to arrive before I can make my booking.

Thanks for all your advice.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SeanG79 wrote: »
    Yes, but if your credit limit on your credit card doesn't cover the full deposit, which I have experienced as high as £3k on a large vehicle or you do not have a credit card, then it is a solution to the immediate problem...

That's why you need to plan ahead if you know you need a credit card then apply for one in advanced.

If you don't have a big enough limit then you need to find a company that doesn't take such a large deposit. If if you have to pay slightly more for the rental then you still save money because their own insurance can be hundreds of pounds.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "large vehicle" but I know a Spanish company that rents out 9 seater vans with no deposit required.
    A worldwide company Sixt rental only requires a deposit of twice the rental price.

Also in my experience only the dodgy companies like goldcar who hard sell their expensive insrusnc have very high deposits like you state.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mickym wrote: »
    Tried booking with Enterprise online and it states Credit Card not Debit card

Just back from Natwest and signed up to their Rewards account for £2 per month where I get cashback on phone bills, food shopping, petrol.

As part of this I get a credit card for 'free' rather than a £24 per month charge.

I do a lot of food shopping and if i pay for it on the credit card I get 3% cashback at supermarkets, so it could end up saving me some cash in the long run.

Just need to wait 10 days for it to arrive before I can make my booking.

Thanks for all your advice.

I hope you realise that the majority of cards are "free" to get and a few pay cashback on every purchase. In future never just assume you need to get a credit card from the same bank your with.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I hope you realise that the majority of cards are "free" to get and a few pay cashback on every purchase. In future never just assume you need to get a credit card from the same bank your with.
    Equally though, if you don't have a credit card your own bank may well be the most favourable starting point.

But don't pay an annual fee!
  • mickym
    mickym Posts: 456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Equally though, if you don't have a credit card your own bank may well be the most favourable starting point.

But don't pay an annual fee!

Sorry, firstly I meant £24 per year... not month :)

As someone stated, the reason I went to my own bank is because it seemed that I was likely to get one from them quicker and easier than applying to a third party. They were able to offer me a maximum of £6,600 max limit on the card which I have no intention of going near!

I know other cards may offer cashback too, but in this instance its made it easier for me.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport