Medical Appointments

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    perfectly reasonable policy, and even quite clearly highlights the maternity aspect
  • emdoug
    emdoug Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm not disputing the policy, I just don't understand why he attached it to the email telling me to remember it. It's just worrying me that's all but I have a meeting with my boss Monday anyway just a standard monthly review so may just tell him then just to make things easier.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    emdoug wrote: »
    I'm not disputing the policy, I just don't understand why he attached it to the email telling me to remember it.

Probably because you are a new employee and this is the first time you have had time off for an appointment. It's a friendly way of saying "Ok we do allow people time off for appointments, but don't take the p1$$".
  • It seems perfectly reasonable to me to remind you about the handbook. It's the sort of thing most of us put at the back of the drawer and forget about, so he's just reminding you that stuff you need to know is in there.

Beware speaking in confidence - when I was pregnant with my son, I told the Branch Director, in confidence (had had problems in the past, didn't want to tell everyone until I was further along). He must have told the Regional Director (which I guess is fair enough) - but at the Christmas party the Regional Director's WIFE came bouncing up to me saying 'Congratulations!! When's it due??' in quite a loud voice. I wasn't impressed.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you get appointments outside working hours or is flexitime an option?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Whilst I can understand that you don't want anyone to know just yet, you also need to consider what your job entails. A pregnancy risk assessment may be necessary.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    There was nothing untoward in the response from the manager. He was simply advising you that you are expected to book appointments outside working hours where possible.
    Once you tell them you are pregnant the rules change to your benefit.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He is reminding you because it says that you won't be paid for taking time off for appointment unless it is for antenatal appointments.

It is therefore up to you to declare your pregnancy, or if you don't want to at this stage, either accept that you won't be paid for the time you take off, or you'll need to arrange appointments outside of work.

If your appointment on Friday with the doctor was just to confirm the pregnancy, then this is unlikely to be counted as antenatal appointment. The appointment with the midwife will be. As already suggested, speak with your midwife (you could have contacted her earlier) to see whether she could offer you appointment outside of your working hours. Some are flexible, some are less, but my experience is that they will always try as much as they can.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Remember also when they say you need another appointment, you don't need to take that time or date. Just say you'll call them back once you've booked the date of work.

Too be honest though, you know you're pregnant, I'd just arrange the midwife appointment for a few weeks time. Or even wait until after the scan. Can you register with midwife over the phone?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’d tell work such as your manger and hr just in case you need more appointments.

Also I am trying to say this nicely and not to offend but just in case anything bad happens and you need more time off. Better to tell them so you can
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts