PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Monna sorry I missed your post.

So sorry to hear about your friends ((hugs)) xx
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about your friends monna,
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So sorry to read of the loss of your friends Monna.
    Just got back from the sailing club - no one mad enough or hardy enough to be out on the water today - all the liquid was in glasses! Bitter strong north east wind so be indulgent Monna and stay warm and snug.
    Easy dinner today - portion of the beef stew with some potatoes left over from yesterday and veg from the freezer. I will make DH his favourite dumplings ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So sorry for your loss monna :(

Last night's dinner party went well and today we have the joy of leftovers... :T We had antipasti for lunch and there's some of each pud.. The chocolate bread and butter pudding was 'ok' last night but it is absolutely piggin lish today...

OH has put colour on three walls of the lounge. he is going to put the second coat on later tonight which leaves two coats to go on one wall during the week. hopefully we will go and order carpet at some point this week also. the end is nigh... decorating wise.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Monna so sorry to hear about your friends
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Monna's sad news reminds me that over 65s can get a jab against pneumonia. It's only needed once.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Also those with asthma, as I have had mine.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you are over 65 and have not had one I would advise it. Pneumonia is the most common side effect of flu,people who die in a flu epidemic don't die of flu they die of complications like pneumonia. A couple of years ago it was only available to over 75s except in special cases. I got one two years ago because of my reduced immunity. I think it was the most painless injection I have ever had.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you all. I feel a bit of a fraud because none of these people were very, very close to me. I will miss them of course, one I've been on holiday with several times, my neighbour was 91 and was not in good health before this, and the other was a lovely person, didn't suffer fool's gladly but had a terrific sense of humour. I was invite to join her and her family as they strewed her husband's ashes. He had said he would like them buried in his parents grave, but when they found out how much the cemetery was going to charge them he changed his mind and said, Oh, throw them anywhere.

My friend thought it would be nice to strew them over his parents grave, but the cemetery wanted quite a lot of money even to let them do that. So they found out when the cemetery office was closed for lunch and crept in. We found the appropriate spot and duly scattered the ashes. There was a stiff wind blowing, so every grave within a large area had a good sprinkling. It was November 5th so we stood in a circle, said a little prayer and lit sparklers. Then we cret out as surreptiously as we'd crept in, giggling our heads off, and had an uproarious lunch in the pub. I will miss her.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I still developed pneumonia after the jab. Pneumonia isn't bacteria specific. The jab is specific to one type of bacteria, albeit the most common. Just be aware that just because the jab has jabbed you it doesn't mean you're completely immune from pneumonia.

I am still pleased I've had mine though (if there's a medical need age is no barrier to accessing it) More power to my elbow... I hope! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback