TAP Portugal flight cancelled

Options
Dear all,

my flight between Lisbon and Porto was cancelled on 23rd December. The flight was supposed to arrive to Porto at 4:00 pm. I was not given any reason at the TAP desk but I suspect it was overbooking.

The company gave me a seat in a bus which departed from Lisbon airport at 20:30 pm and arrived at 0:00 am at Porto airport next day. This means a delay of more than 5 hours.

I put a claim on Resolver and TAP Portugal came back saying the flight was cancelled due to bad weather conditions which is a huge lie. The weather was lovely, 14 degrees no rain and wind speed 8 mph. Also, similar TAP Portugal flights were departing normally that day.

May I ask you on some advice on how to proceed?. I am thinking in escalating the complain to the relevant body but I do not know what is the best next step.

Many thanks,
David

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would an airline cancel a flight due to overbooking? That makes no sense at all. It's possible the flight was cancelled due to bad weather elsewhere. TAP is signed up to AviationADR which is a dispute resolution service. You could file a complaint there.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/how-to-complain-about/airline-complaints/
  • davidreboredo
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe not overbooking but certainly not bad weather conditions. There are TAP flights from Lisbon to Porto every hour and only my flight was cancelled that day. How is it possible this is due to bad weather conditions?. That does not make sense. 14 degrees no wind and no rain? The conditions for flying were more than ok.

Thanks
    David
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe not overbooking but certainly not bad weather conditions. There are TAP flights from Lisbon to Porto every hour and only my flight was cancelled that day. How is it possible this is due to bad weather conditions?. That does not make sense. 14 degrees no wind and no rain? The conditions for flying were more than ok.

Putting the flight details through EUClaim flight checker (TP1948 23rd December) it states...
    An analysis of the data for this flight shows that an extraordinary circumstance was the cause of the delay.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation
  • jpsartre
    Options
    How is it possible this is due to bad weather conditions?. That does not make sense. 14 degrees no wind and no rain? The conditions for flying were more than ok.

But perhaps the weather was bad where the flight was coming from.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Even if that was the case it would be classed as a knock on and compensation would be due.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Even if that was the case it would be classed as a knock on and compensation would be due.

There is no rule that knock-on effects are non-extraordinary. Everything depends on whether or not the airline has taken reasonable steps to avoid the delay.
  • davidreboredo
    davidreboredo Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 January 2018 at 4:06PM
    Options
    These planes travel from Lisbon to Porto and then they come back. There is a flight every hour. The weather in Porto was even better than in Lisbon.
  • davidreboredo
    Options
    TAP have just replied to me and they say the following:

"Since you made the journey between Lisbon and Porto on a bus, you are entitle to receive a travel voucher, in the amount of 75EUR, that we sent in attach.
    This travel voucher could be use in any TAP Portugal flight, is none refundable and valid for 1 year. You can used it to pay trips or ancillary services on flights operated by TAP Portugal, by its holder, or others, as long as, they are duly authorized by the holder of the travel voucher. In order to use it you shall contact our Contact Centre or a TAP desk".

Do I have to accept this or should I push a bit more?. Also, can I ask for a cheque or I have to accept the voucher?.

Many thanks for the help.

David
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Do I have to accept this or should I push a bit more?. Also, can I ask for a cheque or I have to accept the voucher?.

You don't have to accept anything but if you do accept it, make sure that it's a true goodwill gesture and that it doesn't come with strings attached that preclude you from seeking EU compensation (if that's what you're planning to do).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure