Neighbours' dog

Comments

• Please call someone about this. The shihtzu is a companion dog which is definately not meant to be kept outside. In fact they recommend it is not left on it's own for long as they are designed to be companions to their owners and get anxious and depressed if left alone for long periods. This alone is cruelty. I know this because I own a shihtzu and he follows me round the house even to the bathroom. They are also not meant to be left in cold or hot weather as they are quite small, fragile little creatures. Please call someone. You can do it without leaving your name. If they don't do anything well at least you have tried. From someone who owns one of these dogs this is definately not right. PLEASE CALL. Thank you
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    May not be neglect in the eyes of the law but certainly is neglect.

Of course I will be careful how I handle it. The difficulty is because it is my next door neighbour. If not I would certainly have spoken to them about it before now as would my OH. We have intervened in the past over neglected animals

I cannot stand animal cruelty and this poor little boy has a pretty sad life. I guess if they started beating him his life would be worse but other than that I fail to see how it could be worse.

Looking at another poster's list of the RSPCA's five freedoms I would say the neighbours are failing on 4 and 5:

Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.

Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

He has very little space because of the fact he is tied up. He has no company either of his own kind or human. He has such a sad boring life I would be surprised if he is not suffering mentally.

I don't personally believe dogs should be kept outside but certainly not a Shih Tzu. He should be warm indoors, being played with and stroked.

poor little soul.It is very much neglect.It makes me so angry,and worse when the RSPCA won't even come out and assess the situation.Surely some stern words about the dogs poor quality of an existence might make a difference.What on earth did they get a dog for in the first place? Is there any way you could exaggerate it's state,ie in very cold weather it is looking sick,or the rope is wrapped around it's legs? And I know I will be shot down in flames for saying that but I don't care.

Thank you for caring,it would upset me too every day seeing it like this.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 9:33PM
    Please call someone about this. The shihtzu is a companion dog which is definately not meant to be kept outside. In fact they recommend it is not left on it's own for long as they are designed to be companions to their owners and get anxious and depressed if left alone for long periods. This alone is cruelty. I know this because I own a shihtzu and he follows me round the house even to the bathroom. They are also not meant to be left in cold or hot weather as they are quite small, fragile little creatures. Please call someone. You can do it without leaving your name. If they don't do anything well at least you have tried. From someone who owns one of these dogs this is definately not right. PLEASE CALL. Thank you

Have you actually read the thread and the OPs replies at all? They have tried to report and got nowhere.

OP - other than monitoring and keeping on to the RSPCA if things change you seem
    to be a bit stuck. My only other thoughts are the dog warden, or the council if the barking is creating a noise nuisance. Very sad.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • shazzablue
    shazzablue Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2018 at 9:18AM
    Hi monkeychops I looked up the email of shih Tzu rescue,i wonder if they could give some advice?..vice-chairperson@southernshihtzurescue.org.uk the website also has a contact fone number...joyce ellis.01795474416.you are doing the right thing,hope someone can help.
  • Froglet
    Good idea to contact the rescue shazzablue.That poor dog needs a better life,that's for sure.
  • shazzablue
    shazzablue Posts: 146 Forumite
    my own wee shihtzu is 13 blind and enjoys a good quality of life,i could not imagine her enduring what this little dog is going through,they are companion dogs and the isolation that little dog will be feeling is heartbreaking,really hope something can be done.
  • Please call someone about this. The shihtzu is a companion dog which is definately not meant to be kept outside. In fact they recommend it is not left on it's own for long as they are designed to be companions to their owners and get anxious and depressed if left alone for long periods. This alone is cruelty. I know this because I own a shihtzu and he follows me round the house even to the bathroom. They are also not meant to be left in cold or hot weather as they are quite small, fragile little creatures. Please call someone. You can do it without leaving your name. If they don't do anything well at least you have tried. From someone who owns one of these dogs this is definately not right. PLEASE CALL. Thank you

I have phoned the RSPCA twice now and they are not interested. I gave them my name and address because they said they won't act on anonymous reports but it made no difference.

I also rang the Dog Warden yesterday who said he only deals with strays. He could not give me any suggestions as to what I can do.

Froglet wrote: »
    poor little soul.It is very much neglect.It makes me so angry,and worse when the RSPCA won't even come out and assess the situation.Surely some stern words about the dogs poor quality of an existence might make a difference.What on earth did they get a dog for in the first place? Is there any way you could exaggerate it's state,ie in very cold weather it is looking sick,or the rope is wrapped around it's legs? And I know I will be shot down in flames for saying that but I don't care.

Thank you for caring,it would upset me too every day seeing it like this.

I might try again and say the dog looks ill or that it is crying pitifully but I honestly don't think they will take any notice.

shazzablue wrote: »
    Hi monkeychops I looked up the email of shih Tzu rescue,i wonder if they could give some advice?..vice-chairperson@southernshihtzurescue.org.uk the website also has a contact fone number...joyce ellis.01795474416.you are doing the right thing,hope someone can help.

Thank you for this. I will get on to them and see if they can be of any help.

I am getting more and more upset about the dog. I think they are being very cruel and I look at my 2 dogs and the life me and OH give them and just cry for the poor thing.

If they left him tied up when they went out I think I would go and kidnap him myself or I know a couple of people that definitely would. There is no way though to get close to him without them being aware.

It doesn't seem possible to go down the friendly chat route as the woman is very unfriendly and doesn't want to talk at all. The guy talks a little bit but won't be drawn on the dog except to say it is her dog and she makes the decisions about him.

Because we only moved last year we don't know if she had only recently got him when we moved in or whether he has already had to endure one or more winter.

We haven't really spoken to many neighbours and don't really want to ask lots of questions about the dog. None of them mention him and if something is done about him I don't really want her to think it is me although I guess that will be her first suspicion.

I don't intend giving up even though I am getting nowhere. My heart and my conscience won't let me
  • Froglet
    Your posts,and that poor dogs existence has really upset me so I can only imagine what you must be going through.How can the RSPCA even begin to think it is acceptable to treat him like this.What do they gain out of having him ? He is obviously far too much bother.I bet her bloody pot plants get better treatment
    Thank you so much for keeping trying.Maybe she will forget to bring him in one day when she goes out.Then you can grab him.Please keep us updated on your progress.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have spoken to a few people locally (none of them know exactly where I live) and one or two have said they would be willing to come and snatch the dog and either keep him or take him to a rescue.
    Unfortunately, the law would define that as theft. If it came to court you might get a conditional discharge. Or you might not.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Do you think if you offered to buy him from them, they may let you have him. They've no interest in the dog, the novelty has obviously worn off. Frankly I'd send you a donation if they would.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure