PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problem Tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dislike bad landlords (there are some),
    I think this should say 'I dislike any landlords who don't bend backwards to make the life of their tenants like staying in a hotel and forgive all tenants who behave badly because the law allows them too.

This thread is a perfect example. No indication at all that the LL has acted badly, much to indicate that the tenants have done so, yet you post to assume that the LL has been acting wrongly and that the tenant did them a favour by doing what they SHOULD be doing, even if they law grants them the right not to.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 12:42PM
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    ....We could not find a buyer for our old house so that is now let, so after a short break I am a landlord again....
    ...with the greatest respect it's always possible to find a buyer, but perhaps not at the price one wants/expects: Bought & sold 20+ properties so far, had to drop over £100k on one...
    ...we have had exemplary tenants and lousy tenants. The last one in the rental house we used to own did lots of damage like broken toilet, holes in the plasterboard, put his foot (or something) through the bathroom ceiling etc. We got to keep the deposit on that one but only after photographing the damage to prove to the holding company the damage was real. The returned deposit paid about 50% of the repair cost, the rest we had to pay.....
    .. with respect you did not have to pay, you had the option of suing your tenant through the courts: Did you?

Slàinte mhath!

NB: Likewise, I've had excellent tenants and other ones: Concluded the other ones were usually down, in my experience, to my inexpert tenant selection process...
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I think this should say 'I dislike any landlords who don't bend backwards to make the life of their tenants like staying in a hotel and forgive all tenants who behave badly because the law allows them too.

This thread is a perfect example. No indication at all that the LL has acted badly, much to indicate that the tenants have done so, yet you post to assume that the LL has been acting wrongly and that the tenant did them a favour by doing what they SHOULD be doing, even if they law grants them the right not to.

The problem with the law, is when it is enforced its more about who can shout the loudest, like what I said in my previous post I scrub properties when I moved out so its at least as good as when I moved in, and in cases where it was a pigsty when I moved in made it far better and only once (a place with no deposit) was I given my deposit back the others always claimed the place was disgustingly dirty, that one above stating I never once cleaned in 3 years despite receipts that showed I hired a rugdoctor, spent about £35 on cleaning materials and had photos of it clean, the property before that I was charged £120 for a tiny studio flat because they found a few crumbs in corner of cupboard, and I forgot to clean a baking tray that cost £1 (it was mine and I forgot to pack it) they even had the cheek to charge me £12 for rubber gloves and cleaning materials on top, again had photos of it spotless but was advised by Shelter its hard to take to court and easier to just take the hit, was before the deposit schemes came in sadly though.

Property before that, landlord kept entering my studio flat and opening letters, going through drawers and opening letters, messaged me saying my flat was a tip (I left a plate and pan in soak when I went to the shops) and he would fine me if I did it again. I mopped and hoovered every day.

Funniest though was when I was in halls and got a phone call saying cleaners refused to clean it, I had left a empty can of cola on the side (but hoovered bedroom before I left) was told to go back and clean it, got keys went into room, picked up the can and put it in bin outside, and handed keys back, was told cleaners had no problems then.

But the general response to that was by me admitting I left a single can it means I wasn't spotless, (even though I polished the sides, hoovered the floors, dusted the walls etc)

These days I have gotten to point of thinking why even bother, I spend hours or days cleaning when I move only to be accused of not cleaning at all.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    From the description you give, it appears you have a strong case.

Of course, the tenant, if posting here, might provide different information or slant it differently - there are always 2 sides to every story.

Their counter-claim appears to be a weak attempt to deflect responsibility, but we would need the full facts of both your claim and the counter claim to be sure.

However you have a serious issue being overseas. you cannot pursue this claim without either
    * returning to the UK for a court hearing or
    * granting someone a Power of Atorney to represent you at the hearing - and that person would need the full facts

Moneyclaim will not provide legal advice. They will only advise on the process. And the process is already explained in their guides, so if/when they email you back you will learn nothing that you cannot learn now by reading upon the process.

https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/PDFForms/money-claim-online-user-guide.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/respond-to-court-claim-for-money
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like most LLs, I take on my responsibility fully and don't see it as just a way to make money (which as it is isn't turning to be so, but heho, can still hope it will in the future!).

The way some LLs behave is appalling, and I would never defend the actions of a bad LL just because there are a LL.

However, the law is very punitive of LLs even those who do no harm, but just happen to make errors of court, ie. through learning, even though the outcome of that learning is unlikely to make much of a difference to the tenant.

I just find it plain sickening that the law, tht was put in place to protect tenants, is more and more often used as a mean to punish LLs, even those who've done no wrong. Advising freely that tenants can take a LL to court for 3 times their deposit even when they got the full amount back just because it was protected a few days late -because they just can, or that tenants can just stay after the S21 has expired -just because they can is doing nothing but encouraging a society that will take whatever they can regardless of the morals.

Of course, they are the same people who then come and cry when they suffer the consequences, ie. can't get another property because of bad references, or council doesn't care much for them because they know they will be difficult tenants.

So my advice is, as a tenant, pick your LL too. If you see a property that rents for cheap, accept that there is most likely a good reasons for it. Ask to meet the LL if possible and get a feel of whether they are professional or consider their property as their own home. If the house is in poor condition when visiting, it is likely that asking for any repairs will be problematic. We all look for a good deal, but when it comes to your home, don't try to cut corners and be prepared to put the price for good quality accommodation and service.

Then sign up for only 6 months to start with so that if your judgement let you down, you can get out soon enough. Include in your budget a sum every month to cover costs of having to move, advance another deposit etc... (just like LL have to budget for repairs, cost of lack of rental etc...). If you are unfortunately to be given notice, start looking for something else asap and do move as per your contractual arrangement unless you REALLY cannot do so, in that case, communicate with your LL and explain what you've done to move out on the date and what has gone wrong.

Much much more likely to have a positive outcome all around then taking the attitude of 'you'll be lucky if I move on that day because you're a scum LL and I know my rights, and that is that I can stay as long as I want and will get some sadistic pleasure in seeing you going through the stress of taking me to court and losing out financially'.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're abroad - so I presume you had an agent managing the property. Why aren't they dealing with this?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I mostly agree, almost every landlord I have had has rented "cheap" at least in the sense that its not overpriced but at a going rate for the area, and the properties that have good repuation and much nicer condition go for a premium.

I only once had a good agency myself, I had to leave a month early though and told them to keep my deposit, but the main issue people have is references and being on low income, I had issues when I first left home finding somewhere that took me when I left college, ended up with dodgy landlord, moved back home for 18 months, then got a place I lived for 3 years dirt cheap, no real issues there but LL refused to give me a reference, moved somewhere that didn't need a reference amazing flat, but my income changed so went for a 2 bedroom flat that was only £20 more per week, severe damp in it due to leaking roof, enviromental health got involved after we still had no repairs 6 months in and said if it got worse it would be a health risk, LL spun that to say EH said it was fine then for involving them tried illegally evicting us and we had to get police involved, found somewhere instantly but flatmate couldn't afford deposit on new place and came back a week later to find locks changed (and whilst in there other issues like there was human fluids and bodily waste in every room that took days to clear and LL promised to pay us to do it then changed his mind)

New place, illegally evicted as LL claimed I owed rent when in fact he owed me (due to council paying 6 days at start of tenancy before it began)

Moved to a nice place but student accomodation, moved out after one of flatmates ran up debts in our name and I left course, moved another place lived there 3 months but landlord kept not turning up to collect rent, didn't answer phones, didn't have payment details on contract and would turn up at random shouting and screaming at me for being a dosser and expect paid be it midnight at night or 6am, he changed locks on me for 2 weeks but wanted rent for those 2 weeks, and eventually illegally evicted me then cheekily told me I owed him rent when I had a pc, tv, and about £1000 in possessions in there.

Moved somewhere else, all was fine when I lived there apart from person in room downstairs having party and LL getting complaints from neighbours and telling me if it continues he would (illegally of course) evict us and keep our deposit, never got it back as he refused to release it without proof utilities had been paid

Lived in about 5 other properties since then, almost identical issues at each, always comes down to their word against yours and me making sure I photo every property when I move in and leave many times it was a case of holding a tenant to ransom because they knew you were on benefits even told to my face how I should be greatful to get anywhere to live because I was on benefits and they were doing me a favour, had one up the rent and claim I owed 8 months of arrears and pay or else I did even though I disputed it then was told by paying I admitted it which wiped out my savings only could move a few months later as I got backdated ESA.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps ADMIN could remove all the rude, judgemental and bickering posts from this thread?

(And then the OP might come back and answer questions and get further help).

This is a forum for help and advice. Plenty of other forums for judgemental "never made a mistake in my life" types. ( Try Mumsnet???)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure