Savings accounts accepting DD's

Comments

• sparky0138
    sparky0138 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How did people learn about Scottish Widows changing their direct debit terms please? My mum hasn't received any notification and because of this she probably won't receive her £250 switching bonus from Yorkshire Bank because although the first direct debit was taken in November (it was for £2), the second in December wasn't. :(
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 5:32PM

People seem to be acting like the MSE forum has single handedly had the D/D feature removed from Tesco and before that the additional requirement of direct debits in the first place to meet interest criteria on current accounts.
    Nobody will ever be able to prove it one way or another but to me it is clear that the frenzy was started on MSE. It's not the first good offer/facility that MSE users have killed.
    In my own search for what to do next i've found other websites that detail the easy hurdle by setting up a couple £1.00 Tesco direct debits.
    Again, it will be impossible to prove but I think there is every likelihood that other websites got the information from this forum.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sparky0138 wrote: »
    How did people learn about Scottish Widows changing their direct debit terms please? My mum hasn't received any notification and because of this she probably won't receive her £250 switching bonus from Yorkshire Bank because although the first direct debit was taken in November (it was for £2), the second in December wasn't. :(

That'll prob not be SW - it'll be some glitch with YB - it happened on mine & others on Tesco & YBS (egg) DDs too.

I've got £2 DDs with SW set up in November and all were taken from my Lloyds Club & Santander accounts Nov, December & Jan - £2 each.

Otherwise check you're onstream with YB for her bonus - and if not argue it's them YB that failed in the switch process. Or is there time to set up a Tesco DD? What date was the switch?
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    See one of the downsides of this forum is that there's too many smartarses. People trying to be way too clever for their own good and in looking for things that were never there they just look stupid.

Now as this is all just words on a screen I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - because I simply don't know for 100% how you meant the post above.

I mean, it comes across as being a !!!!!! but that may be just my interpretation of it and you may not have intended for it to be like that at all.

Because you quite clearly appear to have totally misunderstood my post by what you just said.

I think it was just your interpretation of it! I did not mean it to be sarcastic in any way ... I just thought I had missed a way of replacing the Tesco DD's that will disappear in April with some other way of generating small DD's. It was your reference to "I've found other websites ......" that got me thinking I had missed something!

Please remember that not all members are financial experts and may ask what seems like silly questions to those that are experts!

You could afford to lighten up a bit to avoid insulting other forum members with genuine questions, even if those questions come from genuinely misunderstanding your post.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    soulsaver wrote: »
    That'll prob not be SW - it'll be some glitch with YB - it happened on mine & others on Tesco & YBS (egg) DDs too.

I've got £2 DDs with SW set up in November and all were taken from my Lloyds Club & Santander accounts Nov, December & Jan - £2 each.

Otherwise check you're onstream with YB for her bonus - and if not argue it's them YB that failed in the switch process. Or is there time to set up a Tesco DD? What date was the switch?

It may have been SW...

Their t's & c's changed for the Internet Saver on 1st October and include "Any payments into your account after it is open must be at least £10".

I was aware of this when I opened my accounts in November and so my DD for YB was set up for £10 and was taken OK in December.
  • soulsaver
    clivep wrote: »
    It may have been SW...

Their t's & c's changed for the Internet Saver on 1st October and include "Any payments into your account after it is open must be at least £10".

I was aware of this when I opened my accounts in November and so my DD for YB was set up for £10 and was taken OK in December.

Still if they did it once they should continue and write emphasising the terms & requesting the change.

And after checking I can confirm they're still taking the £2 DDs I refer to.. as late as yesterday.

It'll be YB at fault.
  • sparky0138
    sparky0138 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    soulsaver wrote: »

No time to set up another DD unfortunately.

The thing is, when she goes online with SW, her nominated account (YB) has disappeared and she can't withdraw her balance (less than £10) unless she sets another one up so it does look like it's the change in T&C from SW that's caused the problems.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 January 2018 at 6:11PM
    I set mine up 1.00 a week ;):rotfl:to satisfy Cooperative Bank 4 DDs a month for monthly reward. :)

23rd and 30th November direct debits as above.

Email from Scottish Widows mentioning needed proof of ownership of Bank Account, asked me to confirm that I still wanted to open the account, after confirming ........I got a reply mentioning minimum direct debit was 10.00. I replied saying I wasnt aware that ...I happy :( for direct debits to be 10.00.

Since 7th December direct debits have indeed been weekly 10.00 :eek:
  • I set mine up 1.00 a week ;):rotfl:to satisfy Cooperative Bank 4 DDs a month for monthly reward. :)

23rd and 30th November direct debits as above.

Email from Scottish Widows mentioning needed proof of ownership of Bank Account, asked me to confirm that I still wanted to open the account, after confirming ........I got a reply mentioning minimum direct debit was 10.00. I replied saying I wasnt aware that ...I happy :( for direct debits to be 10.00.

Since 7th December direct debits have indeed been weekly 10.00 :eek:

What reward do you get from coop bank?
  • soulsaver
    sparky0138 wrote: »
    No time to set up another DD unfortunately.

The thing is, when she goes online with SW, her nominated account (YB) has disappeared and she can't withdraw her balance (less than £10) unless she sets another one up so it does look like it's the change in T&C from SW that's caused the problems.
    Well SW would confirm that in a telephone call, wouldn't they?
    And you/she could ask them how they could do that without notice?

And I suspect they'll refer to a notification that hasn't been received; or received, not acted upon. Or maybe an email that's gone to junk?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback