PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Awkward moment...

Went to measure up on our property having agreed a price etc. Before now, id been offered tea or coffee when I came to view, this time...

Abrupt, rude, moaned about price we had got the property for...

...I swiftly reminded her, no one forced you to accept and I've not done it as a favour...then left!!

Haha. Bizarre and caught me slightly off guard! I also have a satisfied feeling I've negotiated well, but is this common practice??

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Have you exchanged now? perhaps the seller was in sales mode and now they aren't, don't fall out though, you may find that a nut on the water supply under the bath has been slightly loosened to create a slow leak..
  • Morata_
    Morata_ Posts: 182 Forumite
    I have no issue, if they didn't like the offer they only had to politely refuse.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I always find people start off nice but usually something pees them off along the way. It's why I hate taking phone numbers/contact details as you'll probably get moaned at about something once they've moved in, or they start hassling you during the process.

My buyers don't seem to be as nice as I first thought... I was looking forward to leaving them a bottle of something, notes and maybe a gift, but I'm having second thoughts now. Hmm.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Maybe, having accepted your offer, they've done their sums and started look at places to buy...

... and they're disappointed with the type of places they can afford.

If you definitely want to buy their place, the standard advice is to be nice, friendly, sympathetic etc towards them - in spite of their rudeness.

Because, psychologically, it will be more difficult for the vendor to let you down if you're being nice to them, than if you're being nasty back at them.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I swiftly reminded her, no one forced you to accept and I've not done it as a favour...then left!!

ALWAYS keep the moral high ground, never reply to bitterness with anything other than sweetness, and never, ever take offence during a house sale/purchase.

It's the most stressful time of most people's lives, and they don't always act well. There's nothing whatsoever to be gained by petty victories in the sniping line, and so much to be lost.

Have you exchanged? You are not clear you have and, if you haven't, they are free to dump you, and try to sell elsewhere.

If you have exchanged.... well, I guess when you finally move in, the bins will be full, the house not so clean, and the lawn will be long. Offering sympathy and pleasantries is likely to be so much rewarding.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 11:23AM
    The key is not to take it personally.

No doubt there is something in the house moving process that has caused this person stress. When people get stressed they can sometimes be rude.

For example perhaps they can't quite afford the house they want or have been messed around by their seller. Or perhaps she didn't want to accept your offer but was talked into it by a family member or the estate agent? It is unlikely to be personal.

It is always best to be polite in response. There is nothing to be achieved by being rude or stroppy back to them.
  • ...I swiftly reminded her, no one forced you to accept and I've not done it as a favour...then left!!
    . . . I also have a satisfied feeling I've negotiated well <snip>
    Whatever turns you on, I suppose . .
  • Wouldn't be surprised if they tuck a bit of fish behind the radiator. I would advocate to retaining your dignity and being polite.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Vendors can be funny folks... I remember back in the late 80's my parents found their dream house, although it was very dated and a not very competitively priced they still offered full asking price straight off the bat as they were so keen on it.

With the offer accepted they got the ball rolling with searches and surveys etc but everything seemed to go very quiet and no progress appeared to be getting made and they couldn't get any answers out of the EA or solicitors as to the reason for the delay.

My dad then bumped into the vendors in the garden centre and very politely asked them if they knew why nothing seemed to be progressing... the vendor told him ''we've decided not to sell and even if were we wouldn't sell to you if you were the last people on earth'' !!!:huh:
  • maisie_cat wrote: »
    Have you exchanged now? perhaps the seller was in sales mode and now they aren't, don't fall out though, you may find that a nut on the water supply under the bath has been slightly loosened to create a slow leak..
    Funny that.. we moved into our house and the first time we used the shower, it leaked on the (freshly plastered) kitchen ceiling below.

They also removed all the bathroom fittings after saying they'd leave them.. and left a bunch of crap in the loft and garden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure