Homeserve boiler cover issues - using Help Link now!

Hi all,

I know it's not always a popular choice in M/S, but boiler cover is the only "extended warranty" type service I use. As it's a combi boiler, and given the call outs I've had in the past, I've felt it was decent value for money, given you tend to get a fast response and obviously some come back with the company you use.

Anyway - I tend to change it every year, as they will put their prices up and that way you get a new customer offer.

Last year, I was with NPower, who stopped this service, and sold to Homeserve.
2 months ago, I had an issue with the boiler, and called them out. A very long story short, they've been coming back every couple of days to install more parts. Sometimes letting me down and not coming, other times installing the part and it not fixing the issue. Each time the engineer telling me he had put in everything he thought it would be.
Finally I escalated the issue, and they sent (eventually) a senior engineer and a service manager out.
They tried two parts, then after 3 visits, told me they knew what the issue was, but due to the cost (added with the other parts they'd wrongly installed) , they were writing the boiler off - but that re policy stipulated that they would provide another boiler FOC.

Great, I thought, this sounds promising.

Then I was told that that they'd only provide the boiler (not installation) - which I was still willing to go with, and that I'd have to have it done by HELP - LINK.

Not exactly happy at the inflexibility of the situation (what if they charged over the odds, etc) I got an appointment.. They'd wanted an hour to survey, and they wanted my wife to be there.. I expect for a long and painful selling up session.

The survey guy today has told me he has to cancel the appointment, 30mins after he was due! Furthermore, when I reorganised, the lady on the phone told me that he would be giving us "opportunities" to upgrade radiators, etc.

I'm pretty annoyed that I'm still without heating, 2 months later, that I've now been given to another company, and that I'm still being let down.

Surely my contract is with Homeserve still? I'm thinking now that I should just file a court claim in for installation and a new boiler.. And possibly the 13 afternoons I've had to stay at home from work.

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Did they tell you what was wrong with it, get a local guy to fix it and bill the company. Be worth looking at reviews for help link, I wouldn’t go near them.
  • PaulJM
    PaulJM Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Alex, they didn't, only that the next part would be £500,and that they'd already plugged in £hundreds worth.

I don't appear to have any choice with the Helplink thing, if I want homeserve to provide me a new boiler FOC, but you're right, I wouldn't touch them.
    How can they have outsourced this? How can they try to hard sell me more stuff off the back of a boiler break down?
  • Alex1983
    I cant see how it’s your fault if they’ve dumped hundreds of pounds worth of parts into your boiler, if they diagnosed it correctly they wouldn’t of. I don’t know about all the legal side and what your entitled too.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    PaulJM wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know it's not always a popular choice in M/S, but boiler cover is the only "extended warranty" type service I use. As it's a combi boiler, and given the call outs I've had in the past, I've felt it was decent value for money, given you tend to get a fast response and obviously some come back with the company you use.

Anyway - I tend to change it every year, as they will put their prices up and that way you get a new customer offer.

Last year, I was with NPower, who stopped this service, and sold to Homeserve.
    2 months ago, I had an issue with the boiler, and called them out. A very long story short, they've been coming back every couple of days to install more parts. Sometimes letting me down and not coming, other times installing the part and it not fixing the issue. Each time the engineer telling me he had put in everything he thought it would be.
    Finally I escalated the issue, and they sent (eventually) a senior engineer and a service manager out.
    They tried two parts, then after 3 visits, told me they knew what the issue was, but due to the cost (added with the other parts they'd wrongly installed) , they were writing the boiler off - but that re policy stipulated that they would provide another boiler FOC.

Great, I thought, this sounds promising.

Then I was told that that they'd only provide the boiler (not installation) - which I was still willing to go with, and that I'd have to have it done by HELP - LINK.

Not exactly happy at the inflexibility of the situation (what if they charged over the odds, etc) I got an appointment.. They'd wanted an hour to survey, and they wanted my wife to be there.. I expect for a long and painful selling up session.

The survey guy today has told me he has to cancel the appointment, 30mins after he was due! Furthermore, when I reorganised, the lady on the phone told me that he would be giving us "opportunities" to upgrade radiators, etc.

I'm pretty annoyed that I'm still without heating, 2 months later, that I've now been given to another company, and that I'm still being let down.

Surely my contract is with Homeserve still? I'm thinking now that I should just file a court claim in for installation and a new boiler.. And possibly the 13 afternoons I've had to stay at home from work.

Hi PaulJM,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry you've had issues with your boiler. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you'd like our help with this.

Thanks,

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • PaulJM
    PaulJM Posts: 546 Forumite
    nPower wrote: »
    Hi PaulJM,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry you've had issues with your boiler. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you'd like our help with this.

Thanks,

Jen :)

I don't think you've read this post Jen.

NPower left the boiler cover market, and sold everything to Homeserve, who is turn seem to use Helplink to do their replacement boilers.
  • Hi PaulJM,

I'm very sorry that your survey appointment was cancelled and for the inconvenience this caused.
    We would like to investigate the the reasons why the appointment was cancelled and speak to you directly to try and rectify the situation and help get your boiler back up and running as soon as possible.

Please respond to my private message so that we can get in touch.

Kind regards,
    Hannah
    The Help-Link Team
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Homeserve & help link & now they will give you a free boiler which in all probablity will be an Ideal Logic, oh dear you must have done something really bad in a past life
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Homeserve & help link & now they will give you a free boiler which in all probablity will be an Ideal Logic, oh dear you must have done something really bad in a past life

Ideal logic boilers are fine. I've had one for >5 years with no issues
    Housing associations use them which indicate they are not total rubbish!
  • Alex1983
    I service and repair boilers for a living and I wouldn’t have a ideal boiler if they were giving them away.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    I service and repair boilers for a living and I wouldn’t have a ideal boiler if they were giving them away.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Awesome review, made me chuckle!!

Russ :beer:
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business