Home Insurance Claim

Hi everyone

I recently moved in with my girlfriend and yesterday we added me to the home insurance, along with my laptop as a specified item.
I am type 1 diabetic and had a hypo earlier today, fell down the stairs and now my laptop is completely ruined.
I understand the insurance people will be suspicious but surely they can’t deny my claim as I can prove my blood sugar was low at the time?

Anybody have any advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Put in a claim if your insurance covers it.
  • It is covered, I!!!8217;m just worried that they might refuse it as I only covered it yesterday and today it has been killed
  • MikeRavo wrote: »
    It is covered, I!!!8217;m just worried that they might refuse it as I only covered it yesterday and today it has been killed

Probably be a longer claim than usual - claim form etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    MikeRavo wrote: »
    It is covered, I!!!8217;m just worried that they might refuse it as I only covered it yesterday and today it has been killed

That's a conversation you will need to have with them, in the event they reject it. But I'd find out first.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If the event & circumstances were legitimate, you have nothing to fear.

Make the claim if you feel it worth your while to do so.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ironically you would probably have been covered even without needing to add yourself to the policy as most policies cover the policyholders "Family" which is roughly defined as those living with them as family members.

If you added yourself to the policy after the lap top was damaged, be aware they are likely to want to check the lap top's hard drive which often will indicate at what time the lap top ceased working. If that happens the Insurers will refuse the claim and cancel your partners Insurance
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you first checked what her excess is?
    If you inform them ( which you should ) and then find out she's got a large excess you may find it's not worth claiming but once you inform then rest assured her policy will be more expensive next year even if you end up not claiming.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Also note that the insurer will take the laptop to check to see if it can be repaired, so they will see that the laptop was used that day and that would corroborate your circumstances of the incident.

It might not be worth claiming if they can repair it and there is an excess on the policy
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MikeRavo wrote: »
    I recently moved in with my girlfriend and yesterday we added me to the home insurance, along with my laptop as a specified item.

How long ago did you move in?
    Was the laptop previously insured as a specified item on another policy when you lived elsewhere?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure