Tesco mobile refusing repair due to Rooting

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    crauf254 wrote: »
    Could it be linked that someone also got hold of my credit card details in the last week and used that?

You need to be in in physical possession of the phone to root it.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Might be completely irrelevant here, but I had a Huawei Ascend P1LTE a few years back, brand new from EE and I could never install the Barclays Banking App on it because it invariably reported that the phone was rooted. I put it down to perhaps the Huawei Android 'skin' and never followed it up. I imagine it'll be a software check that Tesco repair does in the same way that financially sensitive apps obviously check during installation.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    crauf254 wrote: »
    Could it be linked that someone also got hold of my credit card details in the last week and used that?

In no way are the 2 linked, you need to have the phone in your possession to do it.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    @datostar

You could be right. Along with rooting status, apps often check that the device us Certified.

(You can check this in Google Play Store settings.)

If the device is not certified then most banking apps won't run and it might trigger Tescos check.

Things that can make a device Not Certified:

Beta firmware
    Chinese Firmware - don't come bundled with Google Services
    Custom Roms
    If Google Services have been removed/disabled.

I would not have thought the middle two would apply to a Tesco supplied Device. The OP would remember if they had done the other two.

The other possibility, is that the OP has gone into developer settings and done an OEM unlock.

Probably the most likely explanation is a mistake by Tesco.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Of no help to the OP as they clearly aren't sure but you could just relock the bootloader. Then install a fresh standard romfrom Google and it'll be like it was never rooted.
    Time differences in the files won't matter as you could suggest you did a full reset to "speed the phone up" (not that this works but play dumb).
  • crauf254
    crauf254 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Just an update in case it proves useful to people in future. I played calm but firm with Tesco mobile and insisted I hadn't done anything to the phone. After ringing them multiple times (they never rang me when they said they would) they revisited my diagnostic report and admitted that it was not rooted but another problem which had caused a false result on their initial tests. Upshot is they are now sending me a new phone. Good job I didn't take their original response on face value
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure