New Driver - over 50 insruance

Options
Hi,
I'm a new driver over 50 (52) and wondering what is the best to hope for car insurance for basically a new driver of mature years.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    See the MSE article on cheap motor insurance for advice on how to shop around

Link amongst quick links at the top of the page
  • TracerTong
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to shop around anyway. Was hoping if there was a price range I should be looking at.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TracerTong wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to shop around anyway. Was hoping if there was a price range I should be looking at.

Nobody on MSE knows where you live, mileage you'll do or what car you have so it's virtually impossible to give you a price range.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I only started driving at 50 and passed my test at 51. I was surprised how reasonable the insurance was. I think older people are seen as lower risk than "boy racers", even when they have no experience. The insurance quotes were actually lower when I added my younger partner (also a new driver) as a second driver. Pass plus made no difference to the quotes, but I would recommend it anyway.
  • TracerTong
    Options
    LABMAN: I'm looking to drive a Ford Focus, And in Glasgow. Not sure what mileage I'll be doing etc. Sorry for the vagueness of the post.
  • LABMAN
    Options
    There's Glasgow (G34 Easterhouse) and there's Glasgow (G62 Milngavie)!

Run it through a couple of the comparison sites to get an idea of the range. Have guesstimate at the mileage based on your distance to work and what you're likely to do at weekends or just put 10 or 12k miles to get some quotes.
  • TracerTong
    Options
    Thanks. This has been helpful
  • LABMAN
    Options
    TracerTong wrote: »
    Thanks. This has been helpful

Just don't get multiple quotes by varying your job title, mileage etc to see if it makes a difference to the quote as that info is retained and it may be seen as an attempt to get insurance at a cheap price fraudulently.

If you are curious and do want to see the difference changing details makes do not use your own name and address or DOB, and use a 'throwaway' email address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure