PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dogs in rented houses

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I believe that larger deposits for pet friendly rentals are soon to be banned (but OK for now), a cap of 6 weeks rent is going to be introduced. I was surprised when I read that, as it seems to penalise pet owners, because additional 'pet deposits' will apparently not be allowed. The article that I read, made the point that landlords can charge higher rents for tenants with pets, but that isn't particularly helpful for the tenant. Although I must admit that we don't allow pets, we recently had a flea infestation with our own dog, and it took about 3 months to get rid of them. The problem wasn't the fleas on the dog, it was with the carpets and upholstery. He now gets two flea treatments, the regular one which kills fleas, and now also 'program' which stops them breeding, so if the first method fails, it will be far easier to control the infestation (in fact, it will get to an infestation stage). Although that was the first time in over 12 years of owning a dog, but it was bad enough in our own home, it would have been a nightmare in one of our investment properties.

Aren't you lucky to have the choice to have your dog though? Shame you want to deny that to others.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Unpopular though it may be to say it, some dogs really smell, particularly labradors.

We have owned cars that have had dogs in them, and despite our best efforts, those vehicles kept reminding us of the fact throughout our ownership. It wasn't nice.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anything to do with renting a property that had had a lab in it, and that's coming from someone who used to have ferrets as pets!

Would you also not buy a property that had dogs living in it previously then?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have a property that we have let in the last couple of weeks. It has a no pet policy. The latest tenant has a dog. We accpted them with the dog. The tenant before them had a dog. We can choose whether to let to someone with a dog or not. It depends on the dog.

I would suggest that anyone in this position phones the agent about each individual property and doesn't just accept what is in the advert on the internet site.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Would you also not buy a property that had dogs living in it previously then?

Nothing so small would put me off buying the right house, but buying's different, isn't it?

This house had 3 dogs in it just prior to our arrival. First thing we did was use the carpets as ground cover in the garden, then we disinfected the concrete floors. The next step was to change the colour of many rooms so that we could live without too many psychedelic experiences for a year or two.;)

But ultimately none of that mattered, because we later tore down all the ceilings, moved half a dozen walls, extended, replastered, re-woodworked and reroofed, so to be honest there is precious little left of whatever we bought! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    . It depends on the dog.

I would suggest that anyone in this position phones the agent about each individual property and doesn't just accept what is in the advert on the internet site.

I agree, it does depend on the dog.....and the owner(s)

It also helps to make personal contact, face to face.

When we needed to rent 9 years ago, we knew what it would sound like if we just rang and said: " We've 2 cats and a couple of ferrets," so we went to every agency in person. Within 24 hours we had a choice of 3 houses, none of them perhaps the best on offer decoratively, but not complete dumps or in dodgy areas.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We rent with one cat and haven!!!8217;t generally had a problem. Our last property was a farm and they had a clause in the contract that we could have a cat but would have to get the carpets professionally cleaned which we did as we didn!!!8217;t want a rip off clean by the Ll. We have seen a lot of properties advertise that ll will accept cats but not dogs. I assume that this is because the agency/ll perceive that dogs are worse than cats. I!!!8217;ve never had a dog so can!!!8217;t say.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Aren't you lucky to have the choice to have your dog though? Shame you want to deny that to others.

Luck had nothing to do with it.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cakeguts wrote: »

We have found that this sometimes works for us when we rent a holiday cottage, we send a photo of him, and explain that he doesn't have any issues, and explain that he knows that he is not allowed on furniture. Although I do accept it is entirely the owners choice, some might have had issues with dogs in the past.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd advise that you might want to look for places to rent that haven't just been decorated/re-carpeted but are maybe a little more dated.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We have found that this sometimes works for us when we rent a holiday cottage, we send a photo of him, and explain that he doesn't have any issues, and explain that he knows that he is not allowed on furniture. Although I do accept it is entirely the owners choice, some might have had issues with dogs in the past.

I rent holiday cottages In the UK for my holidays. I used various sites that I can filter for pets allowed. No problems yet in 3 years with two large dogs. I don't send pictures or anything, just describe dogs and ages.
    Also mine are allowed on furniture, so I take several massive blankets to cover things but most places leave a pile of old curtains / sheets / towels for our use.
    If you want a really nice dog friendly cottage in Scotland pm me
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills