Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    takman I understand where you coming from to a degree, but the argument is now weaker as there is now a product on the market that comes with 20 of the games, which is the mini snes. Its value from a sales pricepoint shouldnt be compared to something that is not a legal means to acquire the equivalent games.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Correct. Nor, to borrow from my own example, is Kodi illegal, it just so happens that it is widely used to enable piracy.
    Whilst you're correct that most retro games are not obtainable from new, many are available readily either on the second hand market, digitally through the Nintendo store/virtual console or similar, or indeed now in products such as the mini SNES,

From my experience only a very small selection of games are available by legal means as a new purchase. Games are available second hand but that doesn't benefit the original creators/publishers of the game by buying them.
    so to my mind the only reason why you would download entire libraries of games, as you have done, is because you didn't want to pay to source those games legally and didn't think you'd get
    caught.

Actually the reason i downloaded every game onto an emulator was just because they were easily available and such a small file size that i thought i might as well get them all.
    The consoles that i played when i was young were the Sega Megadrive, Dreamcast and PS1. I still have all of them and all the games for them so if i ever fancy replaying them then i much prefer to play them on the original console.

But i'm not against people who want to download these old games to play on emulators.
    I'm not judging you for that, because many other people have done the same, but what it does mean is that debating the value for money from one legal option and one illegal option is a faulty comparison, which was the point of the discussion in this thread.
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    takman I understand where you coming from to a degree, but the argument is now weaker as there is now a product on the market that comes with 20 of the games, which is the mini snes. Its value from a sales pricepoint shouldnt be compared to something that is not a legal means to acquire the equivalent games.

As it is a modern re-release of an old console then i think it's fair to compare it to something similar today. Such as an Android Tablet/Device as i mentioned above which will have thousands of free games available legally and can be bought for less than £50, with many platform games similar to the ones available on the SNES.

Obviously with the SNES mini you get a collectible value and a design value due to it being developed by Nintendo and designed to look similar to the original. But from a purely entertainment value i don't think it's worth £80. I've seen similar devices in the past which plug into a TV and have a selection of games on them for a price much lower. Your just paying £80 for the name and the design.
  • Chrysalis
    I guess I am not very lucky.

over 20 sold in last 24 hours alone and all higher than my asking price, but no one brought mine so had to relist.
  • Chrysalis
    edited 22 December 2017 at 12:10PM
    I dont know how stock can "come and go" is someone drip feeding new stock a couple at a time or something? This entire launch has just been weird with how the stock has been.
  • there has been stock in amazon all day so there must be a decent stock out there now in time for Christmas.
  • Chrysalis
    Highest bid I had was £58, yet others on ebay have bids over £70, paid £6 in fees for no sale.

I will just keep it if I cannot even break even, and maybe use it as a present for someone in future.

Is the talk about people not wanting to be ripped off, but all i am seeing on ebay is people trying to get it for below market value. :(
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    there has been stock in amazon all day so there must be a decent stock out there now in time for Christmas.

It's about time Nintendo got the stock out to meet demand so hopefully people will get the consoles they want and the scalpers will be left hanging to sell at a loss.
  • Chrysalis wrote: »
    Highest bid I had was £58, yet others on ebay have bids over £70, paid £6 in fees for no sale.

I will just keep it if I cannot even break even, and maybe use it as a present for someone in future.

Is the talk about people not wanting to be ripped off, but all i am seeing on ebay is people trying to get it for below market value. :(
    it looks like there's plenty of consoles at the moment but it's supposed to be a limited release so chances are there will be demand in the new year so it may be worth keeping till then.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Except Nintendo said at the time of release that there would be more stock in 2018. However, it'll probably be similar to stock levels since release date, i.e. a bit hit and miss. Now back out of stock on Amazon.
  • Have 15+ in my local Smyth's store - not really interested in it though! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure