Help-to-buy and cash ISAs

Let's say I have £20k in a fixed cash ISA, and £20k in a defined access cash ISA (of which £5k was paid in this year, and so is "new savings").

If I want to open and start contributing into a help-to-buy ISA, what do I have to do with the money in the two cash ISAs?

Do I have to take everything out of both accounts and put into non cash ISA accounts, or just the £5k saved this year (in the defined access cash ISA)?

If the second option, can I then roll up the £35k of old money (20+15) into a single cash ISA next year?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No. Just open a H2B Isa and use an ISA transfer form to do a part-transfer for the initial £1200 from the account you paid the £5k into.

You can only contribute to one cash ISA per year. A H2B ISA is classed as a Cash ISA but you can have as many previous tax year ISAs as you "want", that's just an ISA you paid into in previous tax years.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    No. Just open a H2B Isa and use an ISA transfer form to do a part-transfer for the initial £1200 from the account you paid the £5k into.

The OP can't do that. The £5k has to be transferred in full and you can't transfer £5k into a HTB ISA. The OP could transfer to a provider that offers portfolio/split cash ISAs, where the allowance can be spread over both a standard Cash ISA and HTB ISA.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • AirlieBird wrote: »
    The OP can't do that. The £5k has to be transferred in full and you can't transfer £5k into a HTB ISA. The OP could transfer to a provider that offers portfolio/split cash ISAs, where the allowance can be spread over both a standard Cash ISA and HTB ISA.

Could I withdraw the £5k, transferring £3.8k to a regular savings account and £1.2k to a HTB ISA?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure