* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mandco- The penguin pass he parcel was where the crackers and cards are in The Range. Any excuse to get a christmas tune on and play a game with the family lol.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Picked up a 900 piece Lego set for £18 for my grandsons having seen the deal online. Over the years I have gone OTT and pretended that Santa came to my house too but I think I will cut back a bit on the pile of presents this year. Maybe just one big (ish) gift for my six year old and eight year old grandsons and the same for my (by then) 9 year old granddaughter. They all still believe but not sure how long for. My two little grandsons are too young at (by then) 2 and (almost) 3 to know how OTT I once was. It's difficult but with the extended family, they get so much "stuff" and it can't go on or they will run out of space. I know I've got some "bargains" in the loft I've collected in the sales but I will definitely cut back this year and make that the new rule. I am going to go more for "experiences" than toys, e.g. take them places.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    VULPIX/MANDCO in our house the Christmas chocs have to be protected from me!

STOKIE I know what you mean, I feel like I'm making real progress then I check the list and realise I've still got lots to get.

SASHANUT if you scroll back a few weeks you should find some posts about Christmas markets that might help you because we did have quite a chat about them.

KPWLL my DD is the same but so am so it's ok :D

CARLISLELASS glad your parcel was ok this time.

JAKESMUM your daughter sounds lovely. If you do spot the Fitbit on offer do let me know.

Hope you get your garden tidied MRSI, we were lucky today as it didn't rain til about half past four.

WHITESATIN that sounds a sensible way forward. Can I ask where you saw the lego deal?

Been watching QVC on and off today but just bought the led lights on thin wire because I left it too late last year and missed them.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi all!
    Well I’m pretty much done! Not much left to get. Have sat and wrapped everything and written cards out tonight. I’ve spent what I think is an obscene amount of money although when I’ve worked it out it’s actually pretty much the same as previous years. Usually I buy mum and dad lots of little presents but mum told me just to buy one each this year. Pretty relieved as mum especially is so hard to buy for! I’ve actually bought them both two presents each- one ‘big’ present and a little present each. I’ve gone OTT on OH again but only because he doesn’t get many presents as he doesn’t speak to his family. He usually gets a gift from his brother and his wife and his nephews but that’s it: me and mum always try to make sure he has plenty of gifts. I’m off to London next week- just need to get OH the tea from Fortnum’s and Harrods that he likes and tea, biccies and a mug from Harrods for my friend’s hamper and I’m sorted. All ready to be transported home in 6 weeks.

What I’ve bought so far:
    Mum- £50 Theatre Royal voucher (buying this was a nightmare as my card kept getting declined- rang bank to find out they had blocked my card because for some reason they think Lush is fraudulent- not the first time it’s happened! The voucher was sent to my email so will literally just be a piece of paper- I’m going to put it in an envelope and wrap it nicely, just worried it won’t look much) Dove set from Boots

Dad: A bottle of Jameson’s Black Barrel Irish Whisky. He loves Irish Whisky but only ever gets it as a gift- this cost £48 so I hope he likes it! I bought it from the Whisky Shop in Nottingham and they gave me a copy of their Whisky magazine worth £3.50 with it- I also got a set of Whisky miniatures free in the Boots 3 for 2 so I’ve wrapped it cleverly- laid the box down with the magazine underneath and the minis around it. I’ve also got him some gentle grip socks.

Sister- PJ’s from Sainsbury’s sale
    BIL- Baylis and Harding sport smelly set from Boundary Mills
    Nephews 1 and 2- Jack Wills body spray and body wash sets from Boots
    Step-niece- Jack Wills minis tin from Boots

OH- has had his main present, a Dyson vacuum as we didn’t have a working vacuum cleaner! He’s also got a Leicester Tigers rugby shirt, a Tigers mug, some Dove for Men stuff, a u2 tour mug and i’ll be getting him some tea from Harrods and Fortnums. I’m hoping to get him a half season ticket to the Tigers as well, if not will get him a couple of tickets to random matches.

Best mate- is obsessed with Lush Snow Fairy so always gets loads of it at Xmas. I will make her up a hamper- I have the contents which consists of:
    2 x 500 ml bottles Snow Fairy shower gel
    2 Make a Wish Snow Fairy bubble Wands
    Snow Fairy gift set- 100ml shower gel and bath jelly
    Snow Fairy soap
    Snow Fairy body conditioner (it was buying the last few things online that the bank didn’t seem to like- the young lad in the call centre who sorted it thought it was hilarious- he said maybe the system didn’t like the smell :D I did find it funny once he assured me the order was fine and he’d unblocked my card)
    Friend from rugby- 3 x Jack Wills body sprays
    Friend from church who lives in my street- Harrods and Fortnums tea bags, biccies and mug in a hamper
    The rugby player I sponsor: Stella Artois gift tin from Boots and a Mo Bros beard care kit (from a little stall in Leicester Highcross. I think it’s pretty awesome!)

I don’t know why I just don’t seem to be feeling Christmas this year! I may do once I get past my graduation on November 16 I think.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all
    Finally feeling more human thank goodness......

Welcome to all the newbies!
    Redelivery been, this time intact
    Im glad you have had an intact redelivery.
    jakes-mum wrote: »
    I also have a teen to buy for who thankfully did manage to give me a list, unfortunately it consisted of a Tommy Hilfiger watch and a load of Adidas stuff :eek:

:rotfl: So i'm now praying that one of the stores puts them on a deal before christmas :o
    That sounds exactly like my 13 year old sons list....I think his is going to look like nothing compared to my daughter because he wants clothes and giftcards.....Also I work in a well known high street catalogue shop ;) and know that FitBits generally get discounted before Christmas in our electronics sale....worth just checking them now and again but if I hear when the sale date is I will post a little reminder.
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Mum- £50 Theatre Royal voucher (buying this was a nightmare as my card kept getting declined- rang bank to find out they had blocked my card because for some reason they think Lush is fraudulent- not the first time it’s happened! The voucher was sent to my email so will literally just be a piece of paper- I’m going to put it in an envelope and wrap it nicely, just worried it won’t look much)
    I had this when I brought my son wrestling tickets and my husband a magazine subscription. I wrote in a nice card the gift I had got them, then found a box, filled it with polystyrene, put the card in there and wrapped it. That way you can always just keep the piece of paper but she will know what her gift is in a pretty card. :money:

I've been sat going over my Christmas swaps last night, trying to find a list of things you can and cant send to the US. I have a bauble swap with two people - one in Canada and one in Alaska and then am making a gift box for a family in Texas :rotfl: should mean my decorating style is very mixed this year but I love it and the idea of decorations from all over the world on the tree.

I think I have an idea for my husbands Xmas presents now though - in fact I have a list :shocked::shocked::shocked: I only ever tend to think of one or two things for him but am getting there this year. He needs a new bike jacket though so that will be his main present since hes found one he likes and he has a thing for flat caps so that will be another thing on his list. My daughter is finished other than finding her a TV or computer monitor for her to play her games on.

I don't know that reminded me but I need to do a gas meter reading :-/

Baking today now I've blitzed the kitchen and have the day off - we are heading to my mother in laws though because Ben needs to print off homework later. Then back in work 3 days this week. Hoping the christmas hours pick up soon! and might have a nose at QVC later

Have a good day all.

Sammy
    x x x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Mrs Ryan, l also have this present problem every year with hotel reservation for DDIL, one year l framed it in a home made padded frame, so she could put a photo or whatever in it afterwards, another time l made a folder for it and made a 'an award for an awesome lady' on the front, last year l put it in a roll and wrapped it round a bottle of wine in a wine tube from poundland. hope this helps.
    Sammy kaye, some flat caps in M&Spensives sale, 60% off, if you like them.
    Looks as though it is not raining at the moment, so l am going to make my coffee and take it outside with me, while l start the 'tidy up marathon'. how many sleeps till the big day? ooooooh not so many xx
  • sammy_kaye18
    how many sleeps till the big day? ooooooh not so many xx

77 days , 15hours and 34 minutes to be precise! :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the flat cap tip too! will have a look
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Finally just caught up once again after yet another hectic busy week...so lovely to hear everyone's plans and present buys!

Week has been so busy again so haven't had a chance to think of Christmas, but I did by OH's Christmas card in Card F. yesterday. Is it me or are they charging more than usual for their Christmas cards? The one I bought is still a lot less than I could pay at £1.49 but so many seemed around that price. I think it's just because I'm so used to all their well under £1 options during the year that I always grab.

I have a little hospital procedure this week so I am off work for the day I have it and the next day to rest up. So I think I will use that sofa time to plan extra presents.

Most of my presents are now wrapped which is great to help me feel organised :) quite tempted to write out my friends' cards today to just get those done too...

Vulpix, I'm doing the same this year with using up wrapping paper. I have a few rolls to use up but once they're done and I need to restock I want to keep to more of a theme across the paper I buy.

Where do you all buy your wrapping paper from? Are there any particular good places to buy decent enough paper for a good price? :)

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Morning!
    Seems as if most are on track and those that haven't got there yet know more or less what they are getting. I am more or less sorted with ideas- just need the funds to turn them into actual gifts. DH is having a Mont Blanc fountain pen (off me and the kids) DS money and a selection of fine malts (managed to do a survey that paid out a monstrous amount in Amazon vouchers which went a long way towards getting him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue label) and I think I know what to get DD although I am still pondering. Does anyone have a Dyson hairdryer and would they recommend ? I will give Mom some money and maybe some Lulu Time Bomb stuff from QVC as she loves it. Have idea for sis and her family too.

I am another that totally forgot the wrapping evening (hangs my head in shame)- must try harder! I bought some nice wrapping paper from Morrisons yesterday (on the hunt for those cocktail baubles and couldn't find any), this years wrapping theme will be traditional red/tartan and stags. I did navy and copper last year and lovely as it looked it wasn't Christmassy enough iykwim so I am going back to traditional colours.
    My Christmas food cupboard is growing and last night I sat down with my CK planner (and a glass of wine) and worked out what I need to get- Im planning on two things a week bunged in with normal weekly shop, which should keep the cost down in the week before Christmas.

Welcome all Newbies!
    All those poorlies- hope you get better soon x
    Vulpix- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48x72-Rose-Gold-Sparkly-Sequin-Tablecloth-Background-Wedding-Party-Decor-UK-/292269046004?hash=item440c97b8f4:g:LmAAAOSwAVxZyhq8

be warned they are raw edges so leave sequins everywhere for a day or so after. When I get them I give them a good shake outside to get rid of most of them. I have 2 and a table runner as the tables when we have a party are 14ft.( I save up my paypal from surveys to fund my sparkly table cloth addiction.) They do make a massive difference to a part table tho IMHO, especially over a dark cloth underneath.
    Mrs I- those are very creative ways to wrap vouchers etc- I might pinch the frame one for DS's cash gift.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • sammy_kaye18
    murie wrote: »
    (on the hunt for those cocktail baubles and couldn't find any),

Apparently they also have them in Sainsburys - cant remember if I read that here or on facebook but wanted to pass it on :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family