Gas meter capped when I was on holiday - help!

Options
mouseclick
mouseclick Posts: 236 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 5 October 2017 at 12:51AM in Energy
Hello.

I own my own house, and I have a gas fire and a boiler. I thought to take on a lodger to save money, and I thought it prudent to get a "Landlord's certificate", even though I don't think I legally need one for a lodger, because the house belonged to my parents, and I had no idea when the old but extremely reliable boiler was last serviced. I knew the living room fire smelled, so I did not use it. I thought this could be disconnected, if it was faulty.

I phoned a gas engineer in my local newspaper. He failed to turn up on the agreed day of the appointment, because he said his bank account was hacked, and he had to deal with the problem. So we arranged that a neighbour would be present when I was away for a week, as this was the only time he could make it. I was to be charged £50, and, without telling the engineer, I left a further £50 with the neighbour in case work was needed. Any more and I was to be phoned to authorise. That was what I said to my neighbour.

On the day the test was due, there were no phone calls, so I assumed all was OK. Several days later I phoned my neighbour, who told me that "everything was wrong". Then, about a week later the engineer phoned me, thinking I was home. He claimed he had saved my life. He said he would give me the details when I return.

So, return I did, at 02:30am on Tuesday morning, after 12 hours travelling. My house was cold, so I went to turn on the heating. The pump had been left on, I could hear it, but all was icy cold. There were "do not use" notices on the boiler and gas fire. The gas fire was also partly disassembled, with the pipe underneath removed, the electric cable to the igniter removed, and the heat switch removed. Other parts were not screwed up, and the covers were loose.

In the kitchen, the boiler cover was removed, and there was no pilot light. I tried to light it, but it wouldn't start.

Then I saw the gas meter was off. I thought to turn it on would be dangerous, as the pipe to the fire was removed. I did try it instantaneously, preparing to turn it off, but I heard no gas. So, it stayed off.

The next morning, still tired, very cold, and by now quite upset, I phoned the engineer to ask what is going on. He said he had to "cap" the meter because both appliances were dangerous. So, I was left with no gas, and a cold house, instead of a serviced boiler (I was told it would get a clean for the £50).

It was suggested that I would have to have a new boiler because of the proximity of the flue to the window, unless the window was "hermetically sealed", I was also told that the fire was the most dangerous he had seen, and he had put pictures on Facebook. However, he had not contacted me, even though I had given him my email address.

He said he had made two attempts to contact me and failed, but I had no missed calls, and my phone was in a strong signal area at all times.

I said I didn't have the money. He said he was obliged to cap the gas meter, because both appliances were dangerous. The boiler, because it was installed under the old regs, and the balanced flue is now too close to a window, which he says was not sealing or closing fully. The fire, because the backplate was fixed with duct tape, which had burned, and also because he found a hairline crack in the burner.

The notices were marked "responsible person not present" and signed by the engineer. There was no address for the gas engineer, and no receipt or invoice was left, or any description of work done. I checked the engineer's advert, no address on that, just a mobile number. Even the gassaferegister.co.uk website does not have an address, when I enter the registration number. It has just the business name, and the areas of work covered.

I am at a loss as what to do. A potential source of income has turned into a financial nightmare. I accept there are problems, but the engineer is now non responsive.

As it was disconnected, I removed the gas fire from the wall, and I saw the cracked burner, and I priced a new one online - £55. Fixing this would be OK for me, and the tape and backplate are easy to fix. Or, B&Q have new gas fires for £148, less my Diamond Club discount. But I am getting no response from the engineer, perhaps because I cannot afford to invest in a new boiler?

I have tentatively asked other fitters to look at it, but they are not interested, because it is a busy time of the year. Ideally, it would be good if the original engineer would quote me to have the fire fixed. This would then "take the heat" off fixing the boiler (pardon the pun).

Fortunately, I have a fan heater, and right now, an electric blanket.

Can anyone suggest a course of action please? My main concern is to get heat into the house for the winter.

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2017 at 9:42AM
    Options
    We had an old 25 year old Gloworm boiler with a pilot light which had never been serviced in 10 years. The flame was a bit yellow. A gas fitter took one look at it and was nt interested in improving it , he just wanted to fit a new boiler citing that it had a "faulty gas valve " which is now obsolete.
    The gas valve was nt obsolete and after a 2 minute search on the internet, I found a new one at £120 was available, if it was at all needed..which it was nt .
    I found an older, honest gas fitter who just said it needs a "good service ".Took off the front cover , got out his wire brush and hoover and after 15 minutes brushing at the rusty looking heat exchangers he did a CO2 test on the flue on the outside wall and it then passed with flying colours and all traces of yellow in the burner flame was gone.
    He explained that most gas fitters idea of a service is to whip out the CO2 tester and check the flue. If its a negative, they slap a notice on the gas meter, condemn the boiler, and turn off the gas. This one went a step further and put in a cap. I m not sure he had permission to go that far .
    They only want to sell you a brand new rubbish boiler full of circuit boards to end the life of a pilot light which uses approx £60 worth of gas a year. with a lifetime of between 6 to 10 years costing £1200 with another £1500 to fit the thing.
    You have to find an honest gas man not a cheating con man with pound signs in the eyes. Don t give up on the old boiler just yet but get someone qualified to get out the wire brush and hoover and clean out the years of rust, then have another CO2 test .Employ a gas safe engineer now ONLY to do a service on the boiler and test it again.
    My gas man charged me £85 .He also checked the gas fire for the flue strength with a smoke stick held at a certain angle in the flue, which it passed.The gas fire we had was rarely used though but was just there as a back up for a complete boiler failure..
    P.S. you can light the pilot light manually if the auto light has failed, but dont try it till you get the boiler serviced properly and CO2 checked.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you don't trust the gas fitter who came out, but you want him to quote you to come back and do repairs?
    I'd carry on looking for someone else if I had your reservations about what's happened so far. In the meantime, get a electric radiator as a short term fix?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mouseclick
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    So you don't trust the gas fitter who came out, but you want him to quote you to come back and do repairs?
    I'd carry on looking for someone else if I had your reservations about what's happened so far. In the meantime, get a electric radiator as a short term fix?

Got an electric radiator, but the house is still a bit damp. He's coming back on Monday to do a quote. I will have a friend here, to calm things down. No work will be done unless a price is agreed and assurances given. He capped it, he can uncap it, and explain himself to me. The boiler can be dealt with at a later date. Bug generally, I agree, the problem is, at this time of the year, I can't get anyone. And probably this is why heating engineers can get away with bad customer services. Things need to change.
  • mouseclick
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:21AM
    Options
    He explained that most gas fitters idea of a service is to whip out the CO2 tester and check the flue. If its a negative, they slap a notice on the gas meter, condemn the boiler, and turn off the gas. This one went a step further and put in a cap. I m not sure he had permission to go that far .

Beautifully written House Martin:T I couldn't agree more. I think you mean the CO tester though (Carbon monoxide, not dioxide). I agree with all of your email in fact, but especially this bit.

He's coming back on Monday to fix the Baxi gas fire, as per my previous post. At this time of year, he is the only one available. I can survive the winter with a gas fire only. This will give me time to get someone to service the boiler who lives nearby, and who I can trust. Thanks :A
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2017 at 8:31AM
    Options
    It was suggested that I would have to have a new boiler because of the proximity of the flue to the window, unless the window was "hermetically sealed",
    How difficult is it to hermetically seal the window? Sealant is cheap.
  • mouseclick
    edited 6 October 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    How difficult is it to hermetically seal the window? Sealant is cheap.

To be honest Norman, I don't think it needs sealing. As House Martin has said, when it is serviced, the CO levels will come down. My neighbour explained to me the gas fitter warned of certain conditions, namely that if I was washing dishes with the kitchen window open, and the hot water full on, I could die. That is why it was necessary to cap the meter, in case I met my death in this way.

But in reality I have a dishwasher, and I never use the kitchen hot water, nor do I open the window, because there is a door next to it. Plus I think he put the CO meter just inside the window when it was open (so my neighbour tells me), whereas my closest possible standing position is about one metre away from the window, gven the thickness of the worktop and windowsill. And I have a CO meter in the kitchen, and it has never gone off zero, ever.

The main issue appears to be that there are stains inside the double glazing panel, which are the result of condensation. These are said to be "fumes". But actually these stains have been there for 25 years, and are the result of condensation and a bit of rust or calcium, on a window that is quite exposed to the elements. The same happens with a bedroom window, some 10 - 12 metres from the balanced flue. Although it looks dramatic, these are not fumes. They are simply stains on the glass. I do not think a test was done when the window was closed. So the seepage is only hypothetical, I think.

There is no evidence at all to suggest that any fumes are entering the house with the window closed, so I see no point at all in sealing it.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure with Gas, he is allowed to (possibly even required to) cap the meter and prevent it being used if it is unsafe.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mouseclick wrote: »
    nor do I open the window, because there is a door next to it.

There is no evidence at all to suggest that any fumes are entering the house with the window closed, so I see no point at all in sealing it.
    If you never open it sealing it with clear mastic should hopefully meet safety requirements, ask a gas fitter first, and can be easily removed if or when the boiler or flue is changed.
  • mouseclick
    edited 6 October 2017 at 11:16AM
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure with Gas, he is allowed to (possibly even required to) cap the meter and prevent it being used if it is unsafe.

I believe "allowed to", but with the consent of a "responsible person". That was my neighbour. He says he was not asked, and was unaware the meter was capped. The plan, as agreed, was the boiler would be serviced and the fee I paid would cover that. If the boiler was cleaned, I am certain the CO would come down. However, total time spent was about 40 minutes on both appliances.

I was aware there was a problem with the gas fire, namely the backplate, but I said it was OK to disconnect this, because it was not used. It turns out it had a hairline crack in the burner. This is the cheapest to fix. If the agreed procedure was followed, I would have been phoned, and given permission for the fix, to the gas fire. That at least would have left heat in the house, and it was the cheapest option.

There is also the question of strictness. As well as being not local (despite advertising in the local "Up my street" newspaper), the engineer said he was strict, but only to my neighbour. The impression I got on the phone was that an Ideal Mexico boiler keeps going on and on, and parts are still available, .i.e. it seemed the engineer was sympathetic to me. The older boilers are not very efficient, that's all, but against that, they are more reliable than newer hi-tech ones, and seem to have a longer life. The Gas Safe Register people acknowledged that there was differing degrees of strictness with engineers. Everyone knows this is true.

The ideal situation for me would have been to service the Mexico, then test, not test before, as House Martin mentioned. If that was fine, disconnect the fire, as it is the cheapest solution.

I phoned the Gas Safe Register, because this engineer does not have his address or email there. Others do. If Gas Safe Register wants to be better than Corgi, I hope they insist that engineers put their details there. There are other legal requirements to transacting over the Telephone too, I should have got the business address that way.

Now that I am wiser, I will look for a local engineer to service the boiler, do whatever is required, then test. But I am not going to install a new boiler. I simply don't have the money.

I would have been better off not calling in a Gas Safe Engineer. I have my own CO meters, and a sense of responsibility.
  • mouseclick
    edited 6 October 2017 at 11:45AM
    Options
    As a general comment, I see a problem here, in general, with Capita Gas Registration And Ancillary Services Limited trading as Gas Safe Register. Namely, it is in the interests of everyone concerned to condemn appliances too quickly, as it generates income for those in the trade. I seriously think I would not have died, washing the dishes, with the window open. I think the dangers of death by hypothermia are far greater. According to this page, a freedom of information request (second page of the low quality PDF), there were 24 deaths at home in 2015. And according to this article, the death toll for hypothermia in 2015 may have been around 40,000. So people are 1600 times more likely do die from hypothermia at home than CO poisoning, I am in a vulnerable group for hypothermia, namely over 60, and without heating. I am very cold now. For example, perhaps Gas Safe engineers should be trained to balance the relative risks involved when cutting off people's gas, versus simply warning them? With a warning, they have choice. When you cap a meter, there is no choice. You get cold.

What percentage of people, I wonder, who were affected by the gas safety rules, either by having their supply cut off, or by not being able to replace condemned equipment, died from hypothermia? Now that would be an interesting statistic to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure