Sick Pay during notice period.

Hi,

My company required me to work 4 weeks notice, I had 3 days off sick during my notice period.

My company policy states: If an employee calls in sick while working their period of notice, Company sick pay will only be paid if supported by a GP's medical certificate, even if the absence is for less than 7 days. In such cases the cost of the medical certificate will be met by the employee.

My company policy on Statutory sick pay states: It is the Company's legal obligation to pay SSP providing the employee qualifies. If the employee works more than 32 hours they will certainly qualify for SSP, regardless of length of service. SSP is paid from the fourth day of the Period of Incapacity to Work up to and including the 28th week, providing the relevant criteria have been met.

As I only had 3 days off sick and had no GP medical certificate, does it mean I am not entitled to company sick pay or statutory sick pay,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

My company policy on Statutory sick pay states: It is the Company's legal obligation to pay SSP providing the employee qualifies. If the employee works more than 32 hours they will certainly qualify for SSP, regardless of length of service. SSP is paid from the fourth day of the Period of Incapacity to Work up to and including the 28th week, providing the relevant criteria have been met.

As I only had 3 days off sick and had no GP medical certificate, does it mean I am not entitled to company sick pay or statutory sick pay,

Thanks in advance.

This is a slightly inaccurate and over-simplified description of SSP. Though it is unlikely you would have qualified for any SSP payment, but it is possible you might.
    To be considered for SSP you do need to be sick and to have done no work for a period of four consecutive days, but these do not need to be working days, so if your three days off were say Monday to Wednesday and you were sick also on the Sunday before (a non-working day) that would count as a PIW for SSP purposes.
    However even then this would not get you any pay as the first three working days are unpaid unless you had an earlier PIW which links with it by being separated by a period of no more than eight weeks. Any waiting days served during this earlier linked PIW would count for the new PIW. So if you had already served three waiting days then you would be paid for all of the three working days you were off sick. If you had served two waiting days then you would serve one more and be paid for two days this time and so on.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    To simplify what is a complex subject, as shown by the post above, if the absence was 3 days in the same week it's unlikely that you will get SSP. Even if you were unwell over the weekend it's going to be difficult to prove.
  • Thanks for the replies. I didn’t think I would be entitled to any sick pay but just wanted to double check I wasn’t missing anything.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    To simplify what is a complex subject, as shown by the post above, if the absence was 3 days in the same week it's unlikely that you will get SSP. Even if you were unwell over the weekend it's going to be difficult to prove.

For SSP no proof is required you self certify for the first seven days, but as I said this would be a waste of time even if it applied unless there was a linking PIW in the 8 weeks before this sickness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure