The DFW Christmas 2018 Planning Thread

Hey all,

So I know we have a thread which covers saving up for Christmas but I thought we could have our own DFW Christmas 2018 Planning thread where we can share hints and tips on bargain buys and reducing our spends over the festive period.

Dxxx

Comments

• I personally buy gifts throughout the year and keep everything set aside in my present stash.

I've inherited this from my Mother who has always done this for as long as I can remember.

I'll need to sort it out to see what I already have in there so that I am not buying twice for people or to much for the kids.

Dxxx
  • Mum
    Granny
    Sister
    Niece (age 18)
    Nephew (age 5)
    Niece (age 4)
    BFFs Son (age 6)
    BFFs Daughter (age 2)
    Secret Santa

So 9 people in total to buy for this year which is not bad compared to some.

Dxxx
  • Got some great bargains this weekend in Claires Accessories.

They had the following deals on;

* 6 sale items priced £5 or under for £6
    * 6 sale items priced over £5 for £15

Managed to get some bits in for gifts which I will use for Christmas and maybe some birthdays in 2019.

Pays to be organised.

Dxxx
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I budget for Christmas over the year and put money aside £5 each week to cover it. I also put aside money from things like bank interest and reward payments. Each month these work out to about £20. (so I have this plus the £5 I put aside each week). For me Christmas could be expensive as I have 4 family birthdays either in December or in beginning of January, so it is vital I budget. If I can get something worth £20 for £10 or worth £30 for £20 then that's great. I won't however go over budget - I will give a monetary gift which the person can then use to put towards the item they want. I make use of things like Tesco Clubcard, Nectar, Boots, Swagbucks, Top Cashback.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • It's hard to stick to a budget isn't it.

Things can tend to run over and before you know it you have spent way too much.

I'm going to use this as a focus to try to keep the spends at a minimum.

I like the idea of not going over and just giving the person the money that you had allocated from the budget, might use that idea myself. I can go over budget just adding wee bits and pieces in then that bargain didn't actually save me any money!

Dxxx
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's hard to stick to a budget isn't it.

Things can tend to run over and before you know it you have spent way too much.

I'm going to use this as a focus to try to keep the spends at a minimum.

I like the idea of not going over and just giving the person the money that you had allocated from the budget, might use that idea myself. I can go over budget just adding wee bits and pieces in then that bargain didn't actually save me any money!

Dxxx
    I find it easier to budget if the money is actually set aside in a separate account.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • This may not be possible if you have debts, but I pay money into a Christmas account each week. Starting the first week in January I pay £12 then £11 the next and so on down to £1 - then start again and do it 4 times throughout the year. Its £312 I think by the beginning of December.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • datlex - I have a savings account which I don't use, I think this is something that I need to start doing.

Karonher - I see that challenge on here and I am going to join for Christmas 2019 when it starts in November, just haven't been able to this year with the debt busting going on.

Dxxx
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Other half and me swap small presents usually something we need. This year it's watches as mine gave up a few weeks ago. Half price in JL so that is sorted.
    Have 3 sons with families so I give National TRust for Scotland membership which is £7.50 a month on direct debit( handy as 2 of my bank accounts needed dd to get £5 a month) and the grandkids get a cheque for £25 each. I would rather give a small cheque than a present of a toy or clothes as I remember when my children were young my mum used to waste money on stuff she bought in the sales and the clothes weren't worn or didn't fit.
    My friends and me decided years ago not to swap presents but just give a Christmas card. Have several Christmas meals out but my close group of pals have a meal out in January instead when we can all find a date when we are free.
    Also I save loads on wrapping paper!!
  • See my Mum does this and has got me into the bad habit of panic buying stuff when we see it on the sales.

I have stuff in my present stash that I bought last year so really I am just wasting money.

I want to be more savvy when it comes to things like this so it really helps to see how others go about their planning for the festive period.

Thank you.

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family