PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Dahl & chips MTSTM never had that ,no idea why as it sounds delicious:)

Most things that include chips are delicious, except garlic chicken & chips:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've got a vague idea that there's part of the country that has curry and chips caron...think that must be where I got the idea from (ie from hearing about that).

Doesn't happen in my own part of the country - it's fish and chips and those chips are done in oil (not beef dripping or the like). So that's what I tend to expect at chippies. Fortunately the one time I went to order myself a portion of chips I fancied on a day out here the woman behind the counter took one listen to my voice (yep...it is a bit "received pronunciation (modern version)"/is obviously used to tourists there anyway and asked me if I knew that their chips were done in beef dripping. Thought literally hadn't crossed my mind - and that was one order less they got that day - as I changed my mind. But at least they told me in time for me to cancel my order - rather than "tell it like it is" about only finding out after I'd eaten some....which I would have been rather annoyed about...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Most things that include chips are delicious, except garlic chicken & chips:D
    I take you wouldn't to try this then https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/oct/04/weekend.richardehrlich :rotfl::rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    I've got a vague idea that there's part of the country that has curry and chips caron...think that must be where I got the idea from (ie from hearing about that).

Doesn't happen in my own part of the country - it's fish and chips and those chips are done in oil (not beef dripping or the like). So that's what I tend to expect at chippies. Fortunately the one time I went to order myself a portion of chips I fancied on a day out here the woman behind the counter took one listen to my voice (yep...it is a bit "received pronunciation (modern version)"/is obviously used to tourists there anyway and asked me if I knew that their chips were done in beef dripping. Thought literally hadn't crossed my mind - and that was one order less they got that day - as I changed my mind. But at least they told me in time for me to cancel my order - rather than "tell it like it is" about only finding out after I'd eaten some....which I would have been rather annoyed about...

Chips & curry sauce are a late night standard here, it's bloomin' lovely after a visit to the pub;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 8:44PM
    Options
    .... asked me if I knew that their chips were done in beef dripping....
    My sibling was a veggie and I was sent into the chippy for curry sauce and chips and to check the chips were cooked in veg oil ... so I asked - and they told me that yes, the chips ARE cooked in veg oil, but the curry sauce had something not suitable for veggies.

My local chippy here makes his own great curry sauce from scratch. He's a "proper chef background" chap, rather than "a bloke who learnt how to fry chips" sort ... so it is "proper good stuff".... but bl00dy pricey, so I don't buy it :) £1.25.
  • caronc
    Options
    Very few chippys use dripping aroud here these days though there is a very good one around 5 miles away, if you are a meat eater it's definitely worth the trek. They also do chips & curry sauce or gravy and make their own mushy peas and tartare sauce. It's always really busy.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 2 March 2018 at 10:46PM
    Options
    As I'd already opened the tortilla packet yesterday - and bought tomatoes a week ago I've not touched yet - I decided to boil an egg and make an egg/tomato and salad cream wrap.

It was passable. Not a lot to say about such straight forward ingredients really is there :)

EDIT: I was saving the sausage rolls in case tomorrow's weather was as bad as today .... but I've just heard a noise outside and looked - and it seems to be raining and just above zero as the windows are no longer frozen, but just wet!
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We were finally allowed to close the automatic door at work today so it was marginally warmer!! I'm on hol for a week from work now anyway!

Tea was chicken dopiaza rice and poppadoms. Then choc ice with almonds in the choc, think of a magnum without the stick!

Keep warm everyone. X
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I concluded today's healthy eating with a cheeky little tortilla wrap, spread with chocolate spread..... :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am going to be more selective about what I put in my mouth today. Started with a small bit of hm granola because my tum was hungry, also had chamomile tea. Later will have chopped tomato and red pepper in scrambled egg on toast

Lunch must be a hm rm. These ready meals of mine contain quite a bit of veg so I struggle to add more, I am going to make a snack veg juice instead, carrot, fennel, broccoli, celery. During the day I have cherries, bottled gooseberries, nuts and yogurt. Last meal has to be 2 pieces of hm toast with peanut butter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback