High Income Child Benefit Charge

Comments

• badmemory wrote: »
    We all must remember that the country is in dire need of people to pay these penalties & it helps HMRC get a little closer to their targets. I mean heaven forbid they should go for the likes of google, ordinary people are much easier targets.
    You're an idiot.
  • You're an idiot.

Why are they an idiot?
  • G4OJR
    G4OJR Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Nobody told me the Earth was round
  • badmemory wrote: »
    Try before 8 am.

I have to say that I believe some HR departments are seriously failing here. They know that HMRC are refusing to notify people they know should be filing self assessment. A good HR/payroll dept could easily put a short message in the P60 envelope to remind their employees what they may need to do. It certainly isn't rocket science.
    I agree. I eventually got through to someone using the telephone number (after over 20 attempts) so I'm sorting it out with them now.

A reminder from HMRC/my employer at the time I exceeded the threshold would have been nice, given the fact that they get all the information they need via PAYE. It would have been better spending money on doing this rather than an advertising campaign. How much would it cost to trigger an automated email when a particular income level is exceeded? Nothing at all.
  • EasyLay wrote: »
    I agree. I eventually got through to someone using the telephone number (after over 20 attempts) so I'm sorting it out with them now.

A reminder from HMRC/my employer at the time I exceeded the threshold would have been nice, given the fact that they get all the information they need via PAYE. It would have been better spending money on doing this rather than an advertising campaign. How much would it cost to trigger an automated email when a particular income level is exceeded? Nothing at all.

75% of the front page of the Child benefit application form is about the HICBC.

Anyone who applied after that the charge came in cannot claim ignorance of the rules, don't apply for benefits if you don't want to ensure you are entitled to them.

The advertising campaign made sure that people who were already claiming were aware of the rules changing, again, if you don't want to take personal responsibility, don't apply for benefits.

while I agree the system could be improved, the buck does start and end with the claimant.
  • I too have been hit with a massive Tax bill for 3 years worth of child benefit... my circumstances are slightly different though... as i was earning below £50k until only last year.... and have always been PAYE.

As many people have posted there was a campaign 4 years ago regarding the changes to the system and did not apply to me and until last year did not apply to me as i still earned below £50K...

However, as I have a company car, fuel card private healthcare if i need it and apparently that counts as earnings (which I pay extra tax for anyway) towards the £50K it and pushes me above the earnings limit.... I knew nothing of this.. It was all about earning over £50k as far as I remember....

Once again I have always been PAYE and HMRC have been quick to tell me if I have underpaid income tax and automatically adjusted my tax code to suit this the following year.

It feels like one way for one tax thing and another for another..

I'm not disputing having to pay back the CB, but the penalties are unjust when the system is so complex and HMRC are able to tell you about one tax element via your tax code change and not another...
  • bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    Same here, just received a letter today.

We had no idea, never received any letter about this change.

Spoken to friends this morning, nobody knew about it.

I have never done a self assessment, I have always been on PAYE, for 27 years.

I see people referring to adverts and news papers etc. I dont read newspapers, have not for years, its mostly full of rubbish, who sits through adverts when they come on?

As these people know what I am taxed month/tear on month/year, why did they keep paying CHB?

Ignorance is not defence, I agree, but we are mot mind readers, someone at HMRC has not done their job correctly, and we are expected to pay back as a result.

Why were claimants not officially told?
    Why has it taken so long for them to realise their mistake?
    Why are they giving a few weeks to pay it back before imposing fines, as a result of their own mistake?
    Someone needs to be held accountable for this huge screw up by HMRC....

Now we have to find over £4,000. I wouldn't mind but I pay an awful lot in maintenance to my ex, leaving me on a similar take home salary of £40,000.

As a result with her working, and getting my maintenance, she still claims CHB (just under £50,000), I asked this morning, and with my maintenance on top, has alot more income than we do.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bobsp wrote: »
    Same here, just received a letter today.

We had no idea, never received any letter about this change.

I have never done a self assessment, I have always been on PAYE, for 27 years.

I see people referring to adverts and news papers etc. I dont read newspapers, have not for years, its mostly full of rubbish, who sits through adverts when they come on?

As these people know what I am taxed month/tear on month/year, why did they keep paying CHB?

Ignorance is not defence, I agree, but we are mot mind readers, someone at HMRC has not done their job correctly, and we are expected to pay back as a result.

Why has it taken so long for them to realise their mistake?
    Why are they giving a few weeks to pay it back before imposing fines, as a result of their own mistake?
    Someone needs to be held accountable for this huge screw up by HMRC....

Now we have to find over £4,000. I wouldn't mind but I pay an awful lot in maintenance to my ex, leaving me on a similar take home salary of £40,000.

As a result with her working, and getting my maintenance, she still claims CHB (just under £50,000), I asked this morning, and with my maintenance on top, has alot more income than we do.
    as you say ignorance is no defence and those earning >50k are assumed to be intelligent enough to keep up with current affairs.

The rules really did receive A LOT of publicity, even if you don't read newspapers. It seems your rant is as much to do with not being above your ex as it is to do with your tax. But of course as with "everything" in the modern world, it is always someone else's fault, never our own.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20298774

from November 2012.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is sending letters to about a million people that start with the question: "Are you affected by changes to child benefit?"

See above.

These are high earners in receipt of CB? And none of them knew anything about it?
  • bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20298774

from November 2012.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is sending letters to about a million people that start with the question: "Are you affected by changes to child benefit?"

See above.

So it is presumed we all read the BBC news, and other publications???

Where is the letter from HMRC, they cant simply rely on the hope people watch the TV.
    xylophone wrote: »
    These are high earners in receipt of CB? And none of them knew anything about it?

Correct, needless to say alot have been on the phone to HMRC today, probably why I cant get through....

One earns alot more than I do, and has been over the limit for years.

This TV, radio notifications is simply a cop out. They should have sent a letter informing people of this change as it in all honesty is a big change, to simply say we told you on the BBC website, an advert in ITV etc just about sums up the country we live in....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure