Plusnet retentions?

Options

Comments

• techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone managed to get Plusnet to offer anything like a half decent deal to stay with them?

I've been on their Fibre Extra product (76/20) for several years ago, and a couple of years back I phoned up to see what they could offer me, as I was out of contract.

Ended up with £10 per month for 24 months.

This has now expired, so I'm back to £19.99 per month. When I live chatted and called earlier the only thing they could offer was £14.99 per month for 24 months.

The annoying thing is they won't match new customer deals. There's a current offer of £28 per month all in for the fast fibre, but they said the business model is unsustainable and they can't offer it to existing customers. Lovely.

Scared to jump ship as I hear horror stories about other providers, and Plusnet has been perfect for me. Max speeds and rock solid. Might just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra....

..unless anyone knows of a way to get them to match 'new customer' offers?
  • pred02
    pred02 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 January 2017 at 6:15PM
    Options
    I am keen to find out more about this as well. Bit ridiculous. After talking to an agent I was told that 'We will not be held to ransom' and if you have to leave, leave. Never seen this language used by the customer retention team and I work in the industry.

If I am out of contract, what is the procedure for cancelling the line and then re-signing up as a new customer?

Thanks!
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    There are problems with cancelling and signing up as new - for a start there will be the Openreach disconnect fee and a wait to get reconnected which may not be free.

If your cabinet is full there is every chance that you won't be able to get fibre back as somebody waiting will get your port when you cancel. This is not all that likely but certainly not impossible.

My own 24 month deal at £12.50 (grrr...) ends in June. If they won't continue at that rate then I may or may not move on depending on what they offer and what other deals are going at the time. To be absolutely honest I could live with plain ADSL - I took FTTC because I had a dodgy line which never got fixed causing me to move to VM so when I went back I thought it best to reduce the length of copper. At my distance from the exchange I should easily get 16Mbps. I really dislike VM so am unlikely to go back to cable.
  • pred02
    Options
    I tried chat, voice and Facebook channel to match the retention to new customer deal. The best they offered is £32.50 line rental and Fibre for 18-months.

I am not sure if it's worth the hassle and risk of switching to another career for 5/quid month less, Plusnet has been solid connectivity for last 3.5 years.
  • kwikbreaks
    Options
    I made a note to myself last time I haggled (18 months ago) ...

Options (retentions) number 0800 013 2632

Was that the number you called or did you just try the normal CS phone number?
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently renegotiated my expired Plusnet contract and after a comparatively lengthy and at times rather blunt conversation from all sides managed to agree a two year deal at a cost which although higher than I paid before I considered just about acceptable. New router thrown in at no cost to me at all.

It was very noticeable that the attitude of the Plusnet man was, shall we say far more robust (albeit NOT to the point of rudeness) than in previous discussions I've had with his dept and I had to make it obvious to him that I would not be cowed by being a bit more aggressive than normal in return. We both ended up on friendly terms though and would have happily shaken hands on the deal if face to face.
  • pred02
    Options
    Can I kindly ask what is the deal you negotiated? I was offered 18 months £32.50 for 76mbps fibre.
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Forgive me but as part of the negotiations I agreed not to publicise the details of the deal we concluded (they knew I sometimes posted on here). I paid for a year's line rental up front making the net figure agreed about £2.50 pm more than I paid previously. It is less than the one you quote although mine is for 40mb fibre on a two year deal with other small extras thrown in.
  • kwikbreaks
    Options
    I just checked what options were open to me right now (too early of course) and found this on uswitch..
    Virgin Media SuperFibre 50 Broadband Only
    More info
    up to* 50Mb speed
    unlimited downloads
    12 month contract
    £22.00p/m £14.99 setup cost

If PN won't deal when my minimum is up and that sort of deal is still available on cable at that time I'll probably give VM another chance although I really do hate their business model.

If people who previously negotiated deals continue to stay on pretty much standard prices once those deals are up then PN are certainly going to stop doing deals. So for my sake folks - if they won't deal walk :)
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Retentions actually phoned me up today, but although he sounded much friendlier than the guy I spoke to the other day, could only offer £14.99 plus line rental for 18 months.

He's going to call again this afternoon, so I'll play hardball, as others on here are getting better deals.

I really want a 12-month contract so that I'm not out of sync with line rental saver again, or a 24-month one at a decent price, not a 50% hike.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure