Oil Rayburn

Wonder if anyone has experience of cooking on the newer oil Rayburn range cookers I live in a very rural location (have oil central heating which is on its last legs) and need to replace both boiler and cooker. Seen the new model Rayburn and assured the running costs are cheaper than electricity (?) but wonder if anyone has comments regarding the running costs from experience of the new models which are very responsive (I am assured!). I do have access to LPG and I use the Cheap Energy Club but because I only have electricity and not dual fuel the deals of are not good for one fuel rather than dual fuel. Thank you for any input which will be much appreciated.

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Traditionally 'old fashioned' Rayburn cookers were grossly inefficient WRT heat loss.
    Ideal in the middle of old properties that didn't have central heating, to warm the house!

Maybe look a bit harder and beware of the 'sharks' that sell LPG!!
  • Thank you for your response. I have been looking for almost a year and seen the newer models of all range cookers on various fuels however all the figures that the companies give are showing that oil is cheaper than LPG or Electric and as I do not have access to natural gas this is not an option. We have a range of good suppliers of LPG in our area and I do not consider them sharks.

If anyone does have any experience of using an oil fired Rayburn in the last five years either as a stand alone cooker or combi with boiler, please could you give me some input. It would be very much appreciated.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cannot give you experience over the last 5 years, as it is about 13 since we had ours.

It was a model from 1988, I think the first of the new oil fired ones.
    First years were constant problems and a engineer from the company was basically there on a daily basis. After that it settled down a bit, but always had intermittent faults.
    When it was working well it was good with the heating etc.

It does have to be well sized to the house.
    Apart from the normal problems before it did have a habit of shutting down before you came back from a few weeks away, despite a timer. IIRC you had to use 48sec kerosene as the fuel.
    They may have got better since, but cannot comment.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Not direct experience - but we are buying a house {complete in a few days} with a five year old oil fired Rayburn that does the heating , water and cooking. It is an A rated efficiency and according to the owners it is very good at all it does. Of course they would say that, but the house was warm, water was hot and they obviously used it as their main cooker. We shall see I suppose.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply. I do hope you enjoy your new Rayburn good luck with the move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure