Garage failed to diagnose car

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice, in regards to my rights, when a garage failed to diagnose a simple fault with my car:

I had a turbo underboost issue, which caused my car to run sluggish. I booked it in with a company called Service 4 Service, who had a local independent garage collect my car to diagnose and fix the car. They said they tested all the relevant sensors, boost solenoid and checked for vacuum leaks. Having no luck, they then proceeded to check the turbo and EGR valve, to make sure they were mechanically fine. By the end of the week, they couldn't find what the fault was and suggested it was the ECU (which they couldn't look at). They had the car for 3 days and I was left with a bill for just over £220 for diagnosis, but no repair.

I took it to a Vauxhall dealership this week, deciding to bit the bullet with the higher costs. In about an hour, they were able to diagnose the fault as being the boost solenoid, which the other garage said they'd check. Looking online,the main causes for turbo underboost is the boost solenoid or a damaged intercooler hose.

Vauxhall's charge was just over £170. Surprisingly less than the garage who couldn't find what the fault was, even though it was a simple thing to check. I don't know if it was due to incompetence of the technicians or that they never checked the part.

Do I have any rights where I would be entitled to a refund from Service 4 Service, even if it's partial? I feel that if they found that the boost solenoid was faulty, then they wouldn't have had to waste time doing further diagnosis on the turbo and EGR valve (which I paid for).

If anyone can provide me with any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Ben

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Except they say they tested the solenoid, and it came back good. Either you're suggesting they're deliberately lying, or it did. No point in replacing something that tests as being good.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Talk to the garage, that did the first Diag, and tell them you think you should be due a refund, they may just pay out.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then they got it wrong as the fault was in fact the solenoid. Unless the fault is intermittent I see no reason you shouldn't get a refund
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    You are assuming that fault diagnosis is an exact science - it isn't. Not being able to trace a fault is not automatically a sign of incompetence. It is worth having a conversation with the original garage as they may be able to explain their process and findings to you better but it is a leap to just assume that they are at fault.

The ultimate lesson though is to go to the experts in the first place. A technician that is working on Vauxhalls day in and day out is likely to know them best.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    A technician that is working on Vauxhalls day in and day out is likely to know them best.

And will have access to a lot more diagnostic equipment than a typical garage.

Last time my VW was in, they ended up having to read the ECU data and passed it all to VW UK for diagnosis.

What chance has some local bod got with a Snap-On code reader?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I reckon you have a recourse for a CC. If you have written evidence from both parties. You paid the first shop to find the faulty, not tell you what it is not..................I could charge and not fix something.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    You paid the first shop to find the faulty, not tell you what it is not

Again, an assumption that fault finding is an exact science. It isn't.

OP paid the garage to run diagnostics, they were not conclusive. The garage has done as asked. The OP is reliant on goodwill from the original garage in respect of any discount or refund.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Again, an assumption that fault finding is an exact science. It isn't.

OP paid the garage to run diagnostics, they were not conclusive. The garage has done as asked. The OP is reliant on goodwill from the original garage in respect of any discount or refund.

No I don't see it that way. If the second garage had also failed or had really issues finding the fault then that maybe a reasonable expectation. But that's not the case.

In about an hour, they were able to diagnose the fault as being the boost solenoid, which the other garage said they'd check. Looking online,the main causes for turbo underboost is the boost solenoid or a damaged intercooler hose.

Like I said, I don't pay £200 for them to tell me what's its not and in this case they were wrong.

I understand fault finding is not an exact science I have spend the last 20 years surrounded by high tech equipment for an oil company not some second hand Vauxhall. There is no assumption..........just results.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure