Property in Trust on Death

amnblog
amnblog Posts: 12,412
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 11 May 2018 at 1:01PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
In my late Father in Law's Will he has put his share (Tenants in Common) of the main asset (property) in Trust for his Partner (not wife) to continue to use in her lifetime.

On her death his share of the value of the property (50%) is left to his Son and Daughter.

My thinking here is that we need to get a current valuation on the property to complete the IHT forms, as the asset is now effectively gifted but currently in Trust.

The value is under the IHT Threshold so their wont be Tax either way, but my thought was that the asset value has transferred to his beneficiaries but held in the Trust?

What's the view out there?
I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,330
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Give the Government probate/IHT helpline a call: 0300-123-1072
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Having such a valuation will be useful for when the property is eventually sold where they may be a capital gain that tax may be due on.
  • amnblog
    Forumite
    It just occurred to me that I am assuming the tenants in common is held at 50/50 but this may not be the case.

Any idea's how I may get information on this (not practical from the owners due to health).
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    amnblog wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that I am assuming the tenants in common is held at 50/50 but this may not be the case.

Any idea's how I may get information on this (not practical from the owners due to health).
    You need to look at the Land Registry entry. Note that my not be definitive about the TIC or JT issue so you may need to do some research wth the wills or trust documents on that.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You need to look at the Land Registry entry. Note that my not be definitive about the TIC or JT issue so you may need to do some research wth the wills or trust documents on that.

The % split will only show up on the LR if a deculation of trust was registered with them. The DoT does not have to be registered, but if not tyou would hope it would be stored with his will or some other. Easy place to find it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    In my late Father in Law's Will he has put his share (Tenants in Common) of the main asset (property) in Trust for his Partner (not wife) to continue to use in her lifetime.

On her death his share of the value of the property (50%) is left to his Son and Daughter.

My thinking here is that we need to get a current valuation on the property to complete the IHT forms, as the asset is now effectively gifted but currently in Trust.

The value is under the IHT Threshold so their wont be Tax either way, but my thought was that the asset value has transferred to his beneficiaries but held in the Trust?

What's the view out there?

You have an IPDI trust.

There is a potential issue with these to non spouse in that the value in the trust is treated for IHT/CGT purposes as if it belonged to the life tenant BUT they don't get any transferable nil rate band.
  • amnblog
    Forumite
    yes GMFL I expect the total Estate to be under £300,000 in any case.

My understanding is the death is the chargeable event for IHT so I need to get a valuation now (and establish the share).

The beneficiaries will be subject to CGT on any growth between now and when the property is sold following the death of the other Tenant in Common.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    yes GMFL I expect the total Estate to be under £300,000 in any case.

My understanding is the death is the chargeable event for IHT so I need to get a valuation now (and establish the share).

The beneficiaries will be subject to CGT on any growth between now and when the property is sold following the death of the other Tenant in Common.

Not if it is a IPDI trust

The life tenant holds the beneficial interest for tax purposes then as long as they live there they get PRR if they sell and there is no CGT on death events.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure