Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2018 at 11:26AM
    esmy wrote: »
    Morning all.
    After a whole week on plan, weighed this am and my scales have packed up! They are very old and have been dropped numerous times so don't owe me anything. So, I need new ones. Any recommendations?? I don't want the analyser type just weight.

I've bought the WeightWatchers digital scales a few months ago and am very happy with them.

£14.99 from Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7983735
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 11:51AM
    Stoke - it's nice to have a man's perspective on SW.

In fact I've had a go at SW regarding their cover models...would love to see someone who wasn't white and femail on the cover - I think it would be particularly helpful if a man was on the cover.

Their response was typically corporate - oh we have a man's section in the magazine blah blah blah.

Totally missed the point that if a man was on the cover then a lot of men might realise that men as well went to classes.
    I must admit, when I turned up first day, I expected it to be mostly women, but I quickly realised it was me, myself and I when it comes to representing males. We've had one lad come with his girlfriend since and while she continues to attend, he doesn't. Still, it's nice to actually buck that trend.

I think SW is definitely targeted towards women mostly, more so than males, but I think that is also partly down to a sort of macho 'male-pride' as well as just general marketing towards a target audience. I have friends who are genuinely trying to lose weight, yet chuckle at me because I go to SW...... Trust me, I've heard all the jokes, suggestions of ulterior motives, and the rest. I think it's clear from the fact I've stuck to it and continue to attend group every week, my only focus is losing weight and SW helps keep me motivated and gives me new ideas. I have no embarrassment telling people either. People usually assume I've been spending 5 days a week smashing weights at the gym or something, and yet "no, I go Slimming World once a week and follow their diet as best I can" raises eyebrows more often than not.

That said, after the initial embarrassment of going, I've been made to feel incredibly welcome by my group. The ladies there are lovely and my consultant is absolutely fantastic. She always has time for you and is very supportive, doesn't matter who you are. I think if more males saw that side of the process, they wouldn't think of it as such a 'feminine' thing to do.

Totally agree regarding models of colour though. They're massively under-represented, on both the website and in the magazine.
    Stoke - we are very similar 4 stone loss (although I've put a little on when I was away) and I have about 1.5 stone to go... sadly I am significantly older and my skin will not shrink very well (also had 3 babies). I always think I am fortunate as I am in a long term relationship and he has seen me in right states, I would hate to be naked in front of anyone else!

A beautician friend recommended dermo rolling - she bought me the kit and showed me how to do it. I've done it twice myself but I am a whimp and do not go as deep as she did.

I get collagen from Holland and Barrett - take before food 3 x a day (I am not good at taking it regularly) but I think it cannot be hurting me!

I only have saggy skin on the tummy and under the top of my arms - so I cover them!

Not sure if men can get highwaisted trousers, but I have to say they are wonderful things. I suppose the fashion of top of your bum showing should be avoided!

What was your motivation to start dieting?
    I will look into dermo rolling. I'm happy to try anything that's not too intrusive. No pain, no gain to some degree, but cutting for the sake of cutting? I'll pass.

I'll head down H&B at Lunch and have a look at Collagen. I didn't realise you could buy supplements, I figured they were injections of some sort?

Not a clue about high waist trousers. I tend to wear a belt though which probably achieves a similar result. Yep, that fashion went out of window, well, it was never in fashion :D

My original motivation for dieting was for my wedding; I joined with my ex fiancee around June last year, it was actually her idea as we were both a little on the big side (me a lot more than her). Unfortunately, she decided to break up with me around October, at which point I meandered and fell completely off plan. I'd lost about a stone at that point, but it started coming back on and by Christmas I wasn't really far off my original weight. I very nearly quit altogether, but I was midway through a countdown and figured it was worth continuing to attend as I had paid. After Christmas, I decided there was no point in giving up on weight loss and that my best chance of moving on and potentially meeting someone else was to try and get myself looking my best and trying to feel happy again.

It is worth noting that at my heaviest, I was dangerously overweight according to my GP. Losing weight for the wedding would have been great, but the long term health benefits will far outweigh any other reasons.
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Stoke wrote: »
    I must admit, when I turned up first day, I expected it to be mostly women, but I quickly realised it was me, myself and I when it comes to representing males. We've had one lad come with his girlfriend since and while she continues to attend, he doesn't. Still, it's nice to actually buck that trend.

I think SW is definitely targeted towards women mostly, more so than males, but I think that is also partly down to a sort of macho 'male-pride' as well as just general marketing towards a target audience. I have friends who are genuinely trying to lose weight, yet chuckle at me because I go to SW...... Trust me, I've heard all the jokes, suggestions of ulterior motives, and the rest. I think it's clear from the fact I've stuck to it and continue to attend group every week, my only focus is losing weight and SW helps keep me motivated and gives me new ideas. I have no embarrassment telling people either. People usually assume I've been spending 5 days a week smashing weights at the gym or something, and yet "no, I go Slimming World once a week and follow their diet as best I can" raises eyebrows more often than not.

That said, after the initial embarrassment of going, I've been made to feel incredibly welcome by my group. The ladies there are lovely and my consultant is absolutely fantastic. She always has time for you and is very supportive, doesn't matter who you are. I think if more males saw that side of the process, they wouldn't think of it as such a 'feminine' thing to do.

Totally agree regarding models of colour though. They're massively under-represented, on both the website and in the magazine.

I will look into dermo rolling. I'm happy to try anything that's not too intrusive. No pain, no gain to some degree, but cutting for the sake of cutting? I'll pass.

I'll head down H&B at Lunch and have a look at Collagen. I didn't realise you could buy supplements, I figured they were injections of some sort?

Not a clue about high waist trousers. I tend to wear a belt though which probably achieves a similar result. Yep, that fashion went out of window, well, it was never in fashion :D

My original motivation for dieting was for my wedding; I joined with my ex fiancee around June last year, it was actually her idea as we were both a little on the big side (me a lot more than her). Unfortunately, she decided to break up with me around October, at which point I meandered and fell completely off plan. I'd lost about a stone at that point, but it started coming back on and by Christmas I wasn't really far off my original weight. I very nearly quit altogether, but I was midway through a countdown and figured it was worth continuing to attend as I had paid. After Christmas, I decided there was no point in giving up on weight loss and that my best chance of moving on and potentially meeting someone else was to try and get myself looking my best and trying to feel happy again.

It is worth noting that at my heaviest, I was dangerously overweight according to my GP. Losing weight for the wedding would have been great, but the long term health benefits will far outweigh any other reasons.

I think loosing weight for your health and to improve your future love life is fabulous (the other lady clearly was not your soul mate). Keep going, and you will be fighting the ladies off!!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've really enjoyed reading your 'story' Stoke, much better than the manufactured versions in the magazines! Thank You.:)

I'd agree that at just 27, it's far more likely that your skin will tighten up but as we spend most of the year covered up in this country then it's not a big problem!:D No harm in trying the collagen supplements though or moisturiser. Bio-oil is good stuff but rather greasy so not hugely practical if you're planning to get dressed after your shower. You could try massages as they'd feel great and be very relaxing whether they worked or not! There are some great offers on Groupon.

Thanks for kind words. I am pleased that I've stayed at target for almost 8 years but I'd never make a magazine (not that I want to:eek:) as I don't follow the official line. The SW way is very boring in that they suggest some extra HEXs. Personally I'd rather have extra syns, particularly wine syns! What I do is stick to plan whenever I possibly can and keep my syns mostly for eating out and/or wine at weekends.:D

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS Ribena, scrambled eggs, half HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: soup, JP with cottage cheese
    D: burger, SW chips, fried onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, green stuff (stir fried cabbage and mange tout)
    Syns: HP sauce 1, BGTY burger 1, weekend wine!:j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    What a star you are Stoke :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Stoke
    I think loosing weight for your health and to improve your future love life is fabulous (the other lady clearly was not your soul mate). Keep going, and you will be fighting the ladies off!!
    Thank you very much for your support. Indeed she wasn't, although you could have fooled me at the time. Haha, I don't know about fighting them off :D but humans are naturally very visual, so getting back to a healthier weight for that reason alone is something. Not just about the ladies either. I keep getting told I look younger, I've actually started getting ID'd again. Brilliant :D
    maman wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed reading your 'story' Stoke, much better than the manufactured versions in the magazines! Thank You.:)

I'd agree that at just 27, it's far more likely that your skin will tighten up but as we spend most of the year covered up in this country then it's not a big problem!:D No harm in trying the collagen supplements though or moisturiser. Bio-oil is good stuff but rather greasy so not hugely practical if you're planning to get dressed after your shower. You could try massages as they'd feel great and be very relaxing whether they worked or not! There are some great offers on Groupon.
    Thanks very much :)
    I've not read many of the personal stories in the magazines, I'll have to look. I tend to buy them for the recipes more than anything. Some absolutely brilliant ideas in there though.

Thanks for the advice with regards to the loose skin. Very true, being Britain (and the North), it is permanently cold. Even when it's warm..... it's cold :D I have a few tubs of cocoa butter that I bought last year and never used and my ex left tonnes of the bio oil behind, so I figured I could try some of that before I throw it out. I'll keep an eye out for the massages. I didn't realise such a thing would actually help this issue.

Been and got some collagen:
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-hydrolysed-collagen-caplets-1000mg-60004596?skuid=004596

This? I assume it will do. I wasn't sure what to buy to be honest.
  • Stoke
    beanielou wrote: »
    What a star you are Stoke :grin:

I'm blushing now haha. Thank you :D
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Stoke wrote: »
    I'm blushing now haha. Thank you :D

No need to blush.
    Be proud :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Matron_Midge
    Matron_Midge Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi everyone. Plodding on at target here. Weighed in this morning and +1LB.
    Not surprised or unhappy but I find myself at the top of range again so I need to knuckle down with the plan instead of drinking peroni in the sunshine.
  • BarleySugar
    BarleySugar Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    STS for me this week. I need a dose of motivation :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business