Exchanging Madagascar Ariary back to GBP help please!

Options
Hi everyone,
I moved back from Madagascar last year with a decent amount of Madagascan Ariary still in note format. I've been told that many places will not exchange this back to sterling. Does anyone know of a way I can get this back? Thanks so much for your help!

Comments

• Alfrescodave
    Options
    When I visited Madagascar earlier this year it was impossible to obtain any local currency from any financial outlet in the UK prior to departure.

Why not try advertising it on "local" websites such as facebook, gumtree etc? I know I would have grabbed it before going, particularly as there were no exchange offices open when I arrived in M.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not ask this in the correct forum?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Why not ask this in the correct forum?

As the forum is called Currency Exchange I can fully understand a newbie posting their question here. There are so many sub-forums on MSE even regulars get it wrong sometimes!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here (link) is an excellent charity that works exclusively in Madagascar. I am sure that they could accept and put to good use a donation in ariary, and it would be worth contacting them to see if they could give you anything in sterling in exchange for your currency.
    https://moneyformadagascar.org/
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thomas Exchange in London (they also deal by post) are a well-regarded currency dealer. They don't list a rate for Madagascar Ariary on the website, but you could give them a ring or email.

https://www.thomasexchange.co.uk/buyback.asp

If anyone can exchange them, they will. I've always found them to be very helpful in the past.

Failing that, look out for other Brits going to Madagascar and offer to exchange at mid-market rate.

Or eBay? I've sold a few notes on there. Risk of fraud is high though.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    plenty of firms online who will buy back exotics or out of date currency but you will get inferior rates
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport