Splott, Cardiff

1235»

Comments

• guideme
    guideme Posts: 59
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bump - does anyone know anything about clifton st - for living? it looks dingy but if it's only rough in appearance I don't mind... but I don't want to consider moving there if it's dangerous.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to work in Splott. Kids throwing bricks at passers by wasn't unknown. I'd avoid living there if I had a choice.
  • guideme wrote: »
    Bump - does anyone know anything about clifton st - for living? it looks dingy but if it's only rough in appearance I don't mind... but I don't want to consider moving there if it's dangerous.

It's a very dodgy place to live...there was a stabbing in a connecting street recently - during daylight hours as well (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-20s-beaten-pole-stabbed-6551965). My friend used to live around there too (Diamond Street) and told me that there was one occasion when he was just watching TV in his front room, and heard a guy being mugged and then beaten up by a gang of kids outside his front door.

I would say Adamsdown + Tremorfa are the 2 places to avoid when looking for a house in Cardiff. Cathays is only a little more expensive than these areas, but isn't nearly as rough - if you can put up with drunk students every night, then it's a decent enough alternative on a budget! I lived there for a few years and didn't have any real problems with it at all.
  • Hi, wondered if I could get advice through this thread?
    I'm looking to move near to Lidl in splott in the next couple of months, does anyone know if this is one of the better areas you've previously described in this thread?
    Thanks!
  • subboy2
    subboy2 Posts: 119 Forumite
    ilikefilms wrote: »
    Hi, wondered if I could get advice through this thread?
    I'm looking to move near to Lidl in splott in the next couple of months, does anyone know if this is one of the better areas you've previously described in this thread?
    Thanks!

It's not a great area, if I'm honest.
  • It's a very dodgy place to live...there was a stabbing in a connecting street recently - during daylight hours as well. My friend used to live around there too (Diamond Street) and told me that there was one occasion when he was just watching TV in his front room, and heard a guy being mugged and then beaten up by a gang of kids outside his front door.

I would say Adamsdown + Tremorfa are the 2 places to avoid when looking for a house in Cardiff. Cathays is only a little more expensive than these areas, but isn't nearly as rough - if you can put up with drunk students every night, then it's a decent enough alternative on a budget! I lived there for a few years and didn't have any real problems with it at all.

wow really? i live on Diamond Street, well the corner of Diamond and Clifton Streets..

I don't find it dangerous personally but it certainly can be pretty intimidating an area at certain times of the day, the evenings particularly when there's loads of kids and groups of people hanging around outside shops.

luckily my flat is around the back so away from Clifton Street, it feels really safe and 'shielded'.

otherwise on the whole I still find the area very much the same as what I've said before of it, too many horrible and rude people spoil it for the more decent and nicer people in my opinion.
  • Me &I my boyfriend are moving into a flat in Splott next month and were really worried about what we've heard about the area! When we visited the street it seemed quite peaceful but the daylight can be deceiving - the night always brings out the worst dangers!

The street were moving into is Ordell Street and everyone we've asked doesn't seem to know much about it! We're really young so a move like this is scary enough! Do you know if Ordell street is a typically bad area?

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi there,

could you tell me what splott road is like in general? Im looking to rent a property (111 splott rd) within the next 2 weeks, basically am i at any danger living there?
  • Hello,

I am considering moving to Grangetown, and I saw a post where you commented you lived there. It is a while ago, so I am not sure whether it is still applicable, but if you can give me some advide I would really appreciate it. Can you advice on which streets are better to live and which to avoid?

Thank you very much!!!!!

Best,

Juan
  • CitySpy
    CitySpy Posts: 4
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2017 at 11:04AM

Danescourt

Thanks for that! I have resided at Danescourt for 33 years and I'd like to know what part you must have lived in. This is a quiet, middle-class area in excellent proximity for the centre of town (3 miles) surrounded by top schools. They can be a bit "curtain twitchy" though...

PS We also have Tesco and a brand new Lidl to choose from.

No, nothing like Splo really (I like Splo anyway.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure