PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry JackieO, I just mentioned your cookbook on the super frugal thread. You may end up with a full in box :o .

Not a problem as long as folk are patient as its been a very busy week so far :rotfl:

Had a super day with DD yesterday and a lovely lunch and serious shopping done in the West End :) back to reality today as I have to go to Bluewater and complain to JL about why I can't seem to pay my bills online at the moment

frugally onwards chums

JackieO xx
  • Menu rejigged again :rotfl:

Monday - full roast pork dinner, crumble & custard for afters. - DONE
    Tuesday - leftovers from Monday + extra veg. + mash. - DONE
    Wednesday - Toad in the Hole + Mash. CANCELLED
    Thursday - Mackerel in foil with boiled rice & peas
    Friday - Fish cakes, mash, peas & sweetcorn - HAD Wednesday
    Saturday - Snorkers, mash & beans AMENDED from mash to chips*
    Sunday - Soup & scones, mini scallops with ???

Have been using up the frozen veg as well but still have plenty of ice creams :rotfl:

Will be defrosting the 2nd freezer sometime this week.

LFHW
    MrsSD

The menu has gone to pot in some ways. The Toad in the Hole is not happening!
    Thursday we had bits & pieces and tonight we had oven baked sausages* bacon# & mushroom#, roasted parsnips# & carrots#, the last of the mushrooms - sliced & dry fried with a couple of rashers of bacon, the last of the tomatoes from the larder fried with lo mash, peas & sweetcorn. Half of the potato supply used for mash & made a chicken gravy. There is enough lo to have brunch tomorrow with a couple of fried eggs & some toast to bulk it out. We also have enough apple & berry crumble for a portion each with B.rds custard.

I have enough potatoes, a parsnip# & some carrots# + stilton# to make a soup with the last of the Stilton & bacon dough* for scones.

I am off to France soon so am trying to empty the fridge & freezer as much as possible.

LFHW

MrsSD

* freezer
    # fridge
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have enough veg and lentil to make two CFO veg shepherd's pies/hotpots. I prefer to slice raw potato for the topping rather than use mash. But the potato is big enough to do both pies.

Do I slice it up and cook both at the same time - so the second would be warmed through in the microwave another day. Or is it possible to store half a potato if I maybe slather the cut end with oil?
  • [Deleted User]
    Just using up the odds and ends in the fridge today and tonight I am out at a quiz so don't really need to cook as I will eat there. I think I may turn the half a dozen or so tomato's into soup and freeze it.The lettuce can come with me when I go tomorrow along with the cucumber.No problem with bread as I only eat crackers and I have long life milk that I will finish up in a flask of coffee tomorrow to take with me on the journey as well .Nothing binned which is good :):):) Right must get a wriggle on as today is also a busy one and I want to pack a few things ready for tomorrows trip to the IoW,won't have time tonight as I am quizzing locally :):) Its all go in my world at the moment

Have a good week everyone and I shall 'see' you all when I get back (no wi-fi- connection where we are staying).

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I have enough veg and lentil to make two CFO veg shepherd's pies/hotpots. I prefer to slice raw potato for the topping rather than use mash. But the potato is big enough to do both pies.

Do I slice it up and cook both at the same time - so the second would be warmed through in the microwave another day. Or is it possible to store half a potato if I maybe slather the cut end with oil?

You could cook both at the same time (I would, it saves on energy ;) ) and re-heat the second one in the m/w, but if you didn't want to do that then you could peel the whole potato and keep the unused half in a bowl of water in the fridge. It will keep for a few days that way.

JackieO: Enjoy your break - I'm thinking good vibes for pleasant weather for you. Oh, and lots of ginger nuts! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi chums almost sorted all my bits and bobs out now I am taking my Remoska with me and also my fancy new Circulon frying pan so DD can have a try of it :) Just about to go off to the charity quiz which we hope will raise even more funds for Making Miracles tonight.
    Will be back after my hols and I am sure you will all go full steam ahead and be zero wasting while I am gone
    Cheers chums

P.S. Ginger nuts are packed already YorksLass :):):)
  • Have a great holiday JackieO :)

Saturday night we had yesterday’s los, with the last of the carrots, parsnips & slices of bacon roasted + fried eggs on top. Finished the last of the apple & berry crumble + custard for afters.

My Mojo has taken to the hills :( so I will whistle long & hard & hopefully it will come back for the next few days before we head off to help my DSis move. Still no waste :j:T

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hi everyone, still nothing wasted :j

Monday’s dinner was burgers & chips from the freezer & fried eggs - now only have 4 eggs to use by Thursday.

Tuesday’s dinner will be soup - using the last of the potatoes, a couple of onions (I think I might slice/chop the rest of the onions & put in freezer), the last piece of chorizo & the Stilton from the fridge, plus croutons & scone dough from freezer.

Need to concoct something for Wednesday & Thursday for the two of us & leave something for DH for Friday. Then France here we come :):j

LFHW

MrsSD

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Cooked a chicken on Sunday. Used the jelly and fat from it today to make a lovely chicken veloute (white chicken sauce). Mixed it with more chicken, mushrooms and left over bacon to make three chicken, mushroom and bacon pies. Left over veloute went into the freezer along with two pies for another time.
    With reduced eggs, milk and reduced leftover cheese made a quiche for tomorrow's dinner (with salad).
    With the left over pastry made a jam tart.
    For the last month our milk bill has been 20p due to being in the supermarket at the right time and getting 3L for 10p.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Good evening everyone.

Yah, boo sucks - a piece of cheese the size of a match box was furry - so was binned. I do not mind cutting off mould but NOT fur :eek: and I was doing so well :o

Tonight was Hm potato & Stilton soup with hm croutons & hm Stilton & bacon scones - DELICIOUS :drool: Finished the potatoes, used most of the Stilton & 2 onions, croutons from freezer & the last of the scone dough from freezer. Plenty of soup for two meals for two people tomorrow & lunch on Thursday :j The last two onions have been peeled & sliced and put in two takeaway boxes in the freezer for Ron!
    Thursday’s dinner will be the last of the frozen mackerel pieces with rice & frozen petit pois.

We are off to France, so the freezer emptying will be on hold until we return with my DSis in tow :rotfl:

So wishing everyone success in their Love Food, Hate Waste campaign & I will see you all in five or six weeks :rotfl:

MrsSD

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback