Project Solar panels quote.

Comments

• deadbird1980
    deadbird1980 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2015 at 3:33PM
    Thanks for the suggestions.

We will contact the citizen advice help line to see we can cancel everything without losing anything by legal.

We feel like we can not trust them any longer, (Are we paying the right price to the panel and inverter, any other thing they are trying to keep from us?) it's really a bad experience. So here is more homework to do to make sure we are not being taken advantage of.

The best option for me is to cancel this without extra cost and start over again, this time just be more careful.

We will keep updating in case it can help someone.
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya and welcome.

I'm sure the legalities aren't as simple as this, but if you ordered a Ford Focus and got a Vauxhall Corsa, I'm sure you'd have some right of comeback.

Now it might be that there's an argument for a proportional reduction in the bill (value of Focus v's Corsa) but possibly you can simply reject the whole install as not being what was contractually agreed.

Then chat on here for some recommendations, and suggestions of what price you should pay ..... though time is getting tighter.

Mart.

Martyn1981, Thanks a lot.

tomorrow we are going to talk with sales about how to resolve this. We just want to cancel the whole install and find another one we can trust.
    We are living in Brighton. Could you give us some recommendation then we can balance between the cost to get rid of existing one and pay for a new supplier.

Thanks.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Martyn1981, Thanks a lot.

tomorrow we are going to talk with sales about how to resolve this. We just want to cancel the whole install and find another one we can trust.
    We are living in Brighton. Could you give us some recommendation then we can balance between the cost to get rid of existing one and pay for a new supplier.

Thanks.

Hiya DB. I'm afraid I don't know any installers to suggest, however, for a 4kWp system a good target price is £5k (£4.5k to £6k). For 3.5kWp I don't think you should pay more than £5k. For 3kWp should be about £4k.

Obviously there is nothing to prevent someone selling you 3.46kWp for £7.5k, but it sounds like the whole deal has been a little 'shaky', so whilst I appreciate time is against you, you'd probably be better off starting again, as all faith must have evaporated by now.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya DB. I'm afraid I don't know any installers to suggest, however, for a 4kWp system a good target price is £5k (£4.5k to £6k). For 3.5kWp I don't think you should pay more than £5k. For 3kWp should be about £4k.

Obviously there is nothing to prevent someone selling you 3.46kWp for £7.5k, but it sounds like the whole deal has been a little 'shaky', so whilst I appreciate time is against you, you'd probably be better off starting again, as all faith must have evaporated by now.

Mart.

Thanks, we are still fighting with the company now. We asked advice from different organizations: Citizens Advice Help Line, RECC, Lawyer, Home Insurance. We get different answer from them and even the company.
    The salesman said it was a mistake and they can refund some money or remove the panels for nothing. But next day the project manager called and try to blame us for what happened and something like we are out of the cooling off period, it has to go through cancel procedure....

There might be a long way to go, but I think we are victim of a scam. We just want to get out of it as soon as possible.

RECC is saying we don't have to pay anything to remove the panels, insurance company said we could.

Anyway, lesson learned, we made mistakes for not shopping around at the beginning but we don't want to be rip-off again.

Just hope some information here can help someone in the same situation. Thanks.
  • We are still waiting the company to remove the panels from our roof. And they won't want to do that until we agree to pay 2500 GBP to cover their loss.
    In my understanding they have to agree to cancel first then we can talk about do we have to pay anything for that.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am no expert but I wonder whether the better answer might be to negotiate some sort of discount rather than pouring good money after bad. Indeed, if the only way to get them to replace the panels is to pay anything, then I think it's time to do some maths - costs of change v benefits of the larger system.

I also wonder what the impact would be on your FITs as you may be held to be taking the substance of the old system out and putting in a new one requiring a new application under the new very low FIT rate. I might be wrong but replacing all panels is not a repair...

So, you have paid for 3.5kWp but received only 3kWp. You paid £x. A refund, compensation or call it what you want of 15% (or more if you can get it) might be the quickest way to resolve things and let you move on with a system that will still produce a reasonable amount, for a reasonable investment etc.
  • colzokier
    colzokier Posts: 9 Forumite
    I had a quotation from Project Solar UK last week and despite it being booked as a no obligation quote/visit we felt pressured to sign. (we have been considering solar panels anyway but should have done it sooner). The installation is booked for this upcoming Saturday, but after much internet reading I don't think that the ROI is there. I contacted them and made them aware of my intent to cancel due to the high cost and low return and am now awaiting a call back this afternoon to see what they can do with the pricing to keep the order. £8373 for a 4kW system (14 x evolution max life 285.7w panels) + solax single track inverter + hot water controller + voltage optimiser + energy monitor : OWL intuition. Goods = £6379.43, labour = £1594.86, 5% VAT = £398.71.
    The most suitable area of my roof for fitting is on a dormer which is south-west facing with a 20% pitch.
    I live in central Scotland, in case that comes into anyones light calculations.
    Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, but I think I will cancel depending on what they say this afternoon and obtain more quotations. Ideally I think I would like the less obtrusive roof-integrated panels fitted, although they will cost more.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Cancel cancel cancel. Why:

1. Far too expensive for what it is.
    2. Includes equipment that you don't need/of limited benefit for the cost
    3. You really need to look at how much generation you will get. A 20% pitch is far from idea and will impact on production. In particular Winter (which is poor for everyone) will be especially so with this roof.

Have you checked the European PVGIS website for estimated generation compared to what Project Solar are suggesting? The link appears on this site somewhere - others may repost it with any luck. I don't have a good enough internet link (on the road today) to go looking for it at the moment.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Cancel cancel cancel. Why:

@colzokier. ET's spot on.

No idea how competitive the PV situation is in Scotland, but you want a price of £4.5k, with the diverter, but without the voltage optimizer.

Use PVGIS as suggested, then run the numbers through the income figures in the FAQs section 1 to see if it's an acceptable rate of return.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • colzokier
    colzokier Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2016 at 2:55PM
    @Exiled Tyke & Martyn1981, thanks guys, looking further into it now on the PVGis website.
    Will see what Project Solar say when they call back, but I will be cancelling.
    (removing the voltage optimiser will reduce the cost by £600 apparently)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure