Ex-pats with Barclays Account

My friend has a current account with Barclays in her own name into which regular third party payments are made. Her husband is a nominated debit card holder. Barclays refuse to provide her with a debit card as she does not have a UK address (they live in Spain) but they do send one to her husband in his name at their Spanish address. Is this legal, and what action can she take to get a debit card in her own name? Barclays have said she needs to have a UK address, which does not appear to apply to her husband!

Comments

• If you push them then they are likely to give you notice of closure.
    Banks don't like ex pats having UK accounts at present due to regulatory forces.
    At least you have one debit card.
    Why not look at Barclays offshore accounts which might be better suited for you?
  • That is not the point. The point is that they are happy to give her husband a card, but not her! It is her account! Smacks of discrimination!
  • That is not the point. The point is that they are happy to give her husband a card, but not her! It is her account! Smacks of discrimination!

I disagree - times have changed current customers can carry on with present arrangements if they are domiciled abroad - but the EU and the US are tying the banks in knots with regulatory this and that. They do not want to take any risks - so innocent people take the brunt of policy to try and stop fraudsters and terrorists.
    Ask any high street bank what would they do for you if you moved abroad and come back with your replies.

In this case a new card would be a 'new' facility so is ano no.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My friend has a current account with Barclays in her own name into which regular third party payments are made. Her husband is a nominated debit card holder. Barclays refuse to provide her with a debit card as she does not have a UK address (they live in Spain) but they do send one to her husband in his name at their Spanish address. Is this legal, and what action can she take to get a debit card in her own name? Barclays have said she needs to have a UK address, which does not appear to apply to her husband!

This could well be because the husband had the account and debit card before the address was changed to Spain so cards can still be sent and normal practices apply.

If the address was changed and then a debit card is issued to a Spainish address this is not actioned as there is not an UK address held on the system.

System practices changed to non UK account holders, those that already had one can keep them, with address changed, but new customers or change of facilities on accounts are not allowed.

Could be your answer, as said already pushing them may initiate them to close the account as a non UK account holder. You have one debit card on the account.

She wont be able to get a card in her name on the account and yes its a legal practice.

Sorry to be the bearer of news you don't want to hear.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing