Ssp to esa

Options
Hi does anyone know roughly how long it takes to swap over. I keep reading about applying a month before ssp runs out but hubby went to the job centre and they said come back when ssp finished. He's been today as it's ended and they gave him a form and said he needs to wait for an interview. I don't get why he had to wait until today. Is it relatively quick getting it all sorted from now from anyone's experience x

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi does anyone know roughly how long it takes to swap over. I keep reading about applying a month before ssp runs out but hubby went to the job centre and they said come back when ssp finished. He's been today as it's ended and they gave him a form and said he needs to wait for an interview. I don't get why he had to wait until today. Is it relatively quick getting it all sorted from now from anyone's experience x

I may be out of date (if so I'm sorry) but it used to be.....

The employer advised you that SSP was to run out on date XX and provided an ESA form.

However even if they didn't you could apply for ESA over the phone (took 40 mins plus) or in writing. You need to submit a doctors sick / fit note.

You then get paid ESA immediately SSP stops, initially at the "assessment" rate. During the first three months you get called to a "medical". Assuming you "pass" you are them put on the appropriate rate which is backdated to the start of the claim.

If you don't pass the medical (or successfully appeal) you get moved onto unemployment benefit and ESA stops. You don't have to pay back the assessment phase money.

It is (or was) paid ever two weeks direct to your bank.

But I may be out of date.....
  • victoriaolivia
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. He's been on the phone for an hr on hold and given up. He is annoyed the job centre didn't tell him to just apply online. Hes been today cost of £10 in a taxi to get there and back just to get told a website to use. They didn't give him a form I got mixed up. I've printed it off at work for him to sort. This could have been sorted weeks ago if they had of told her. His boss wasn't bothered as she's leaving on Wednesday and someone else taking over the pub where he works
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure